1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed A New Zumo Xt2 Gps Yesterday

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Cruiser, Apr 24, 2024.

1. I exported from the phone app, MRA being cloud based your routes are right there. On exporting a route as above my Android phone pops up a helper that asks what app do you want to use. I then selected Garmin Drive which, if my XT was on and connected to the phone, would load the route onto the XT. Sounds more complicated than it was, pretty seamless in reality.

If you're using an iPhone your experience may vary.

2. Aha! Garmin Drive, I have to try that!
    Thanks for the info! :upyeah::)

3. Good info guys, I keep uming and ahing about changing to MRA but am happy with the "better the devil i know" stance. I am wavering too on getting a high level brakcet like the Cruiser. But I just feel that would be too viby what did you not like about the bracket?

4. As far as I can tell, Garmin Drive does not support the XT2. I have been trying to get my head around Garmin Tread for the last couple of days and the support from Garmin is pretty useless. Managed some basic routes which I’ll run at the weekend. Tried pairing my iPad with the XT2 but didn’t get far, so will have to try again when I get my patience back :joy: Andy

5. Yes, I don't know about possible vibes yet, it's certainly possible there could be vibrations...the weather is simply not good enough for any test rides.
    The Garmin brackets couldn't be mounted in the center of the bike, and it was heavy and bulky IMHO. Probably designed for serious off-roading...:)

6. Yes Andy, it looks like you might be right. I logged in to my Garmin account, there I find a couple of routes that I most certainly have created in Tread. But my MRA-routes are not there...hmmm, need to consider this...

7. I can only speak from using an XT and a Mac. I create my route in MRA, save a .gpx file (1 with track and waypoints). I then email
    This to myself, click on the download on the phone and use Garmin drive to transfer it.

If you are pc based you should be able to transfer the saved routes by cable?

The advantage of MRA using the phone as well is that all your routes are in the cloud.

I’m just trying to figure out how to use downloaded maps with no internet access for an upcoming visit to the USA so I can just use the phone to navigate but not use data.

8. Shame that Garmin Drive doesn't work with the XT2, wonder if they did that intentionally... This is one of the fundamental flaws with Garmin products and their attitude these days. The developers are just too detached from the user base plus they are trying to produce supporting software that caters to all their users across multiple disciplines; road, off-road, hiking, sailing etc... In the good old days of Mapsource and the StreetPilot series of GPSs this wasn't the case.

This is one of the reasons why I've switched to MRA, they are very proactive and listen to their users and involve them in elective beta testing. This is probably helped by the fact that they're a small start-up too.

The mounting kit that comes with Zumos is based on the RAM system, it's solid but pretty 'clunky'. Also tends to be handlebar mount only. It's functional but not pretty and gets in the way if you use a tankbag.

I use a high level Ducati Performance bracket combined with an adapter plate, only option in 2018 when I got the bike as the owner of Navhalter had been involved in a bike accident and was out of action. The plate the Ducati mount originally came with is for the 395 Zumo Garmin, the Ducati option, the cradle for which stupidly doesn't use the industry standard AMPS hole pattern that all other Garmins before and after have. Adapter plates with AMPS hole pattern can be bought from Ducati (97611851AA) or other sources. Mine came from a former forum member. Iconic or Evotech Performance make high level mounts with AMPS hole patterns.

The vibration problem with the high level mounts isn't a fault of the mount itself, rather the adjustable screen mechanism that it's mounted to. The lighter the sat nav the less the vibes are evident. The move from a Zumo 590 to the XT made a significant difference. Hoping that the soon to arrive Android Auto panel will be as light if not lighter than the XT.

9. Cable! That's so yesterday :joy: You'll be suggesting SC card shuffling next.

Have a look at this part of their recent webinar.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I'm struggling a bit with the different ways to get routes and tracks into the XT2.
    What seems to be working well is creating the route in MRA, uploading the gpx-file to Google Drive, the using Tread in my Android phone to import the gpx-file from Google Drive, and this file then appears automagically in the XT2.
    I've now tried to create an MRA-route, import it to my Garmin account, it appears in Tread, but some more work needed, I can't really say what's happening...seems like server trouble at the Garmin side...

11. It appears to me, the XT2 has none of the older XT support to get your routes onto the sat nav. I have tried saving a route created in Basecamp and then copying the route to a folder so I can click and drop the .gpx file onto the SD card in my XT2. The drawback of that method is having the same revision of Garmin maps in Basecamp and on your XT2. I’ve had issues keeping the Basecamp maps up to date because Garmin Express has problems copying the maps over on my aging desktop. As @Bumpkin said, Garmin could take a big lesson from MRA. Not tried to use Google Drive to transfer .gpx files so I’ll have to have a play. Andy

#31 Android853sp, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I was playing a little with the MRA Gold version and said "surprise me with a nearby roundtrip"...and I'm actually quite impressed with the 3 suggestions presented! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. As already answered, the route you do on your PC is stored online in a cloud, so once you open your phone, assuming you have their navigation app to ride it, it should be there right away. If you want, you can then download the routes on the phone itself (open route and there is a download arrow icon), you can download offline maps, swith to offline mode, and no worry about having a signal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've spent a few hours this morning playing with the MRA Gold & XT2. I'm using my 6000+km roundtrip in Poland as a testmule...
    It seems using the Here map and saving in gpx-format 1.2 doesn't work in XT2 "cannot calculate route". The same Polish route saved in format 1.1 seems to work in the XT2...all via Google Drive and Tread in the phone.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thank you for that. I’m not surprised .gpx 1.2 doesn’t work but I have no idea why (although I suspect Garmin haven’t caught up with the latest format) Andy

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes I found that, either ‘save as’ gpx 1.1 or gpx 1.0 (which I find better on my XT).

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. 1.2 has been something of a beta version for ages. Nothing wrong with 1.1.

A trip of 6000km as one route isn't a good idea. Any calculations weigh heavily on the GPS and take inordinate amounts of time. Reccomedation is too break a trip up into days which is more flexible anyway, allowing for alternative routes on some days. In MRA I tend to name routes for a tour like so.

Picos2024 - Day01 - start place to end place
    Picos2024 - Day02.1 - start place to end place long
    Picos2024 - Day02.2 - start place to end place short
    Picos2024 - Day03 - start place to end place
    etc.

Using this naming convention it's easy to sort the days on order. Day 2 above having two versions, in this case long and short versions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. I agree, the giant Polish roundtrip as one single route isn't a good idea. But I wanted to do the testing with a "difficult" case to see if it's working.
    You have a good naming system; I'll do something similar. Thanks for the input! :upyeah:
    :)

19. I saw something interesting this morning...regarding my long, Polish test-mule route...I have ticked the checkbox for "avoid toll roads", but MRA is routing me on toll roads around Gdynia and Gdansk, and towards Kaliningrad.
    I think I created the route with the free MRA using default OpenStreetMap, and later converted to Here-map.
    I will experiment with creating a brand new route to see if it still puts me on toll roads in Poland.
    Edit: I see more places where I am on toll roads...

#39 Cruiser, Apr 28, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  20. I discovered last night, the Garmin Tread App on my Android phone, was continually running in the background despite it not being open. Thought my battery was on the way out. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information