1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Hear About Your R53's

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ducbird, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Noise is part of mini ownership :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Todays job! Would have been so much easier with a proper lift, I hate being under cars on axle stands.

fuel tank strap (crusty one pictured!)

IMG_1325.jpeg

And I shortened the mid pipe so that the tail pipes (which are hideous and too big) are flush with the bumper, just need to rotate them up a little

IMG_1327.jpeg
    IMG_1328.jpeg

the exhaust is proper Frankenstein! It’s a Malian race system, which to quieten it they have added a mid silencer which doesn’t actual fit well as it sits under the fuel tank too close for my liking. I want to get it gone and put a milltek or scorpion on there but at the moment it functions so it’s not money that needs spending

• Like Like x 3
  3. She is one lucky biyatch!! Married to me aand a new Mini. Not an R53 (whatever one of those is)… it’s a JWC and it goes like shit off a shovel btw… :laughing: fun car!!

IMG_0907.jpeg

It’s a JCW (John Cooper Works) I’m such a tit…

#443 Fairy Cringe, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Is an r53 like a gr yaris?

5. Just looked up an R53. Looks pretty much the same to me.. spent all friggin afternoon insuring it… what a pita!! And insurance is fekin expensive now :astonished:

6. Smaller, lighter, older, less refined, but prettier and "purer". Also, supercharged rather than turbo'd.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don’t know why superchargers aren’t more common. They make more sense than turbochargers… I suspect it boils down to cost… for a change…

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think it’s an emissions thing because superchargers use power to make power and they also tend to be a bit of a blunt instrument in terms of how much extra petrol they chuck in.

My 2005 R53 is tuned to JCW spec and when it comes to fuel consumption, it’s like giving a donkey strawberries. o_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. They’ll be slightly down on power ratio but they give a more linear delivery and negligible lag… Power is all about fuel burnt in given time. More poke equals more fuel pump time… my 911 will pass anything except a petrol station :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. and they just sound bloody cool!!!

Catching up on the thread, tje R53 is the OG Cooper S, supercharged 1.6, then the R56 was the first turbo engines one, way better on fuel, and tbh a quicker car, but with the worst engine ever (apart from a 1l eco boost ford).

then the models have gone on into others but I’ve sort of lost touch with it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes. The sound on the R53 in JCW spec is pure rally car. Brilliant fun. My current mini is the latest bmw 2.0 turbo job. It’s very torquey for a turbo and it’s difficult to keep up with the need to throw gears at the thing. My Mrs hates driving it. It’s too involving as a manual for her taste. Me on the other hand - I love it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. So you have the same one as Fairy's wife?

13. Not quite. Mine is an S with the JCW body kit, seats, wheels and steering wheel. Just not the engine or brakes. :(
    Post #6

14. Oh no! Yours is slower 0-60 by a second - you must dread traffic lights.... LOL

Next time get an All4 JCW Countryman to hit 60 in 4.9. I still think its odd that the fastest Mini is the biggest one!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. It’s quick enough for me thanks :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. a countryman, get out of this thread!!!!!!

a clubman is where I draw the line, they are fantastic cars also.

while we are at it I’ve seen the newest countryman and it’s absolutely massive! Got to be as big as the early BMW X3’s were

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Love a blower (4mins 30secs)

Zhed touched on it, still slightly crude and potentially unstable when it comes to nailing it down to meet emissions but mostly because of awkward installation followed by cost compared to turbo of course, as latter has a vast range now due to trendy acceptability/price brought way down.

Volumex on Lancia was fun, s/h unit still command high dosh.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah the new Minis are anything but small. But they are the quickest!

Have you compared the size of a Darmah to a V4s?

19. I couldn’t believe how much they’ve grown over the years. Some are muhassive… :neutral:

Unlike Mars bars. They’ve gone the other way. Random… my head’s full of custard :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. I honestly still think the R53 is the purest, and most raw to drive, and still a daily driver. Hence why I’m messing around with them still!

I think a r53 cooper s with a smaller supercharger mod can take it to a R56 turbo on pace, but on spirited drives it will be doing 25mpg and the r56 will be doing 30+mpg and over 40mpg on a steady cruise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information