Ok Fight Fans - Best Ever Boxing Punch?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andy Bee, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Eggscellent finish.

2. Yep... power & accuracy... although Vargas didn't seem on it at all.

3. Eggsactly

4. Another cracker from the archives.

• Like Like x 2

5. Who remembers this? Danny Williams fighting one handed due to a dislocated shoulder and still managing to KO his oppo

• Like Like x 2
  6. Watched the Inoue fight earlier, another classy win, even after getting put on his arse for the first time in R1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gawd, that must have been painful... adrenalin & heart got him through. So even though Williams had no defence to a left Potter never looked like throwing one and looked too knackered to even try.

8. There’s a slightly longer version of the clip where Potter has him in a clinch with Williams’ bad arm clamped between his own arm and his ribs, and he’s pulling him around the ring with it. I can’t begin to imagine how that would have felt. I partially dislocated my shoulder in 2020 (by reaching up to untuck my ear from the lining of my helmet, of all things) and when it popped back in, it trapped my radial nerve. It hurt so much I thought I was going to vomit and I was doped up to the eyeballs on codeine for about two months afterwards. I’d take two tablets at midnight, but their effect wore off after a few hours, so I’d regularly wake up at about 4am, howling in agony.o_O

9. Ooo... you bugger. Dunno what's worse a folded over ear or a dislocated shoulder. Yes doctor, I do think I need some much stronger opioid based pain killers.

I broke a collarbone after being spat off during a tank slapper and spent a good week in, what I thought was considerable pain & milking it for all I was worth, until I read about a guy in the Tour de France who broke his on the first day but still completed the race... :astonished:

10. Ah, that’s not the worst injury I’ve had, although it did also involve a helmet. When I was about 18, I shattered my elbow joint when playing American football and on that occasion I did in fact throw up from the pain into my helmet’s face mask. It also put paid to any ideas I had of a cricket career, because not only did it stop me playing for ages, but when it healed it left my bowling arm sticking out at a funny angle from the elbow down. This not only changed my action so much that I had to change my stock delivery from fast in-swingers to medium pace out-swingers, but I’d also been a very good fielder and found that I could no longer throw the ball in as hard or as accurately as I had previously.

11. Ooo... & thrice I say you bugger. A mate at work cracked her elbow falling down a wet grassy slope & it took months to get right. And when it did she then suffered for weeks with a frozen shoulder cus of the time her arm was in a sling. It's still not got 100% movement now.

Couldn't you have had a debatable chucker action like that Sri Lanka geezer, Mularythanan ?

12. My dodgy elbow bends in a different way than his does, in that if I stand with arms by my side with both palms facing forwards, the lower half of my right arm doesn’t hang vertically, close to my body, but sticks out to the side, so there’s a massive gap between body and forearm.

That means the release point for the delivery is quite far out to the side rather than high over my head, which makes for booming out-swingers and due to the flatter angle of my arm and hand, what would be an off-cutter for other bowlers is actually more like backspin when I do it.

• Like Like x 1

13. I can’t believe nobody has posted this beauty/beast yet.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I believe Fairy Cringe mentioned/posted it early doors somewhere around page 2/3 (?)

Evidently Duran had been in a err... protracted wine, women & song bender before the fight.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Tyler Hamilton if my memory serves me correctly.
    Needed extensive dental work after grinding his teeth together for the duration. It might be an earlier TdF entrant whose name escapes me who did the same, he however used his bar tape to allow him to pull on his bars to assist with climbing. Tis why no one plays cycling.

16. It was some years ago when I did mine perhaps as long as 20.

And as well as been supremely fit guys as you have indicated they are really really tough buggers. Some of the road rash you see them get and they just replace the buckled wheel and off they go for the rest of the days 90 miles...

Brave as well. Some of the speeds they take downhills & corners at defies believe - all with a contact path not much bigger than a couple of fingers and often in the wet.

Nutters just about covers it.... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Yeah, no one can forget that! Roberto Duran face planted with one shot! Hearns had a right hand from another world. A middle weight version of Deontay Wilder only much better…

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hearns in his pomp is probably my fave boxer... speed, power & aggression with seemingly just a little 'spite' to his work.

And of course, even though he lost, who can forget the best opening round ever.... if not fight.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information