1098 Regulator/rectifier 1098

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Arnstein, May 7, 2024.

1. I´m about to move the regulator/rec. to the right side, but before doing so I would like to know experiences if this will really making it last?
    The Mosfet I installed ( the wiring soldered ) approx 5000 km ago blew itself and the main fuse in the middle of nowhere.. so I´m fed up with this problem on my 74000 km 1098, which had a new alternator installed together with the Mosfet. It has destroyed 3 reg/rec and one alternator in its lifetime.
    In comparison, My 230 000 km Laverda RGS has the same alternator - reg/rec as it left the factory with in 1984.

2. could add more but I would re-site your regulator anyway going by your experiences as will definitely help cure the problem.

#2 Chris, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  3. Thanks for answering, i live in the west coast of Norway so the climate is mostly cool and my 1098 does its mileage in Norway and some trips to England / isle of man.. idling is only as it has to be in ordinary traffic. it also has wrapping on the exhaust and I has doubled the isolation on the backside of the reg / rec.
    Hope the problem can be solved by installing it on the other side?

4. Thanks Serjames, nice looking conversion!

5. The plot thickens, you would think that there is a good reason why your bike is eating more regulators than normal, particularly the Mosfet one, I have to ask, it was definitely a Mosfet type? There are lots of fakes being turned out, that has the same body shape and grey plugs, but are standard shunt type inside. you probably already know, Shindengen is a manufacturer to trust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for your comment. Please read my communication with the seller which has an excellent feedback on e-bay since 2007.
    Not only Ducatis that´s having similar trouble as my 1098 after even lesser mileage.. a friend owning an Aprilia tried "everythng possible" and ended up changing the alternator to one with less output, which seems to stop the trouble.

New message from: picky_squirrel (328[​IMG])
    Hi and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with a reg-rec bought close to two years ago. Unfortunately there are a lot of factors that can wreck a regulator rectifier ahead of it's time and many Ducati models suffer from this: weak original wiring, proximity to the hot exhaust by poor design, and other electrical issues. Even an official Ducati dealership selling original parts cannot offer warranty that long on a used bike. Please consider that your next reg-rec should be sold and installed by a professional motorcycle shop that offers extended warranty.
    Best regards,
    Gabriel

Your previous message

Hello! The Mosfet reulator / rectifier I bought from you June -22 lasted only approx 3700 miles when it destroyed itself and blew the main fuse.. and left me and my Ducati stranded in nowhere.
    The alternator is ok and everything else works ok too when testing with an ordinary regulator / rectifier so the Mosfet surely selfdestructed.
    It must have been faulty from the beginning having such a short lifespan, so hopefully you will send me one that will last?
    Regards
    Arnstein Vagbo

7. I tend to agree with the seller regarding a warranty especially after more than a year.

it’s unfortunate but hopefully a decent MOSFET one in a better location will work for you.

Consider getting the electrical system checked over too for peace of mind.

Oh and also consider bigger starter cables such as Exact.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112007535502

Good luck.

8. I think I found your regulator.. :thinkingface:

seller says "MOSFET" and "unbranded" at £78.50 Free Delivery.

Consider this a neutral comment, but I wouldn't have fitted this unit without more information to confirm the contents, where it's made, etc etc.

[​IMG][​IMG]

NSS #14

#9 Chris, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  9. worth a watch:-

• Like Like x 3
  10. All of my 1098 connectors has been checked and greased, and starter cables converted to approx double capasity years ago. Will consider buying Shindengen. I like the 1098 very much, but it is hard to depend on going for long journeys..
    Anyway, thanks to all for comments.

11. By no means an expert on these but I did read that there was a new type of device that put less heat through the system as it only draws the current the electrics need:

They're based on "Series Voltage Regulators" rather than Shunt.

They do not look cheap.. but the specification seems to be significantly improved. here's an example I found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166654469296?chn=ps&_ul=GB&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

12. Carefully bear in mind Chris' comment above. When these systems fail, they can indicate something else knackered down the line. We have a friend on a 1198 who has been having electric issues on his bike for some time, and he's been working back down the line and having to replace lots of components and wiring which has failed or been over capacity and become burnt and or corroded.

13. MOSFET does not indicate a type of reg/rec but is simply the type of component that has been used.

MOSFET stands for metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor. It is a field-effect transistor with a MOS structure.
    They can be used for may applications so simply saying a reg/reg using MOSFET technology is regulating voltage etc in a different way to OEM isn't correct.

It appears there are 2 types of shindengen clones out there. The first is shown in the pictures above and has black potting compound that fills the unit from the back. The second and, in my opinion, better one has a heat sink identical (not just similar) to the shindengen with the correct amount of round casting lugs and has a aluminium plate at the back.
    I've been using both types but the aluminium backed unit simply looks and feels better quality. As neither has failed on me it's quite subjective. The "better" unit is a few quid more but still around the £20 mark from China. I'm pretty sure that's all your getting from a European eBay seller anyway.
    Pictures of the "better" one for comparison.
    Screenshot_20240509-192251~2.png Screenshot_20240509-192244~2.png

14. I had a Chinese one with a metal back. It exploded within 500 miles

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I am by no means an expert on anything electrical but in my experience, I see three issues with regulators. One is excessive heat from the engine, second is poor 12v positive wiring (causes battery overcharging and excessive heat) and third is poor grounding (can cause regulator to run super hot). Maybe a fourth is a poorly made regulator...After going through so many regulators, I would start to suspect there might be a wiring issue even though it has already been checked. I have a friend with an older Triumph that swapped all his lights to LED then started having all kinds of charging and regulator issues. If I remember correctly, he swapped everything back. Good luck and I would love to hear more of what you find.

16. I've always had reg/rec issue on the Raptor and the last replacement was from Tourmax for which I had high hopes. I've also fitted a simple LED volt meter that gives a real time indication of the battery voltage & hence under or over charging. Anyway after fitting it did seem better and I could see from the LED it switching in/out charging the battery when at low/high revs etc. However it did appear to be under charging more than expected and when left for little more than a week the battery need a quick blast on the charger.

So I checked the wiring and noticed one of the spade connectors (the original block connector was binned years ago) that felt tight and was making electrical contact could be moved be back/forwards by about a millimetre. I tightened this up so there was no movement and what do you know? the reg/rec worked perfectly...

• Like Like x 1
  17. P1010243.JPG Reg / rec ( not Mosfet ) moved to right side, started and charges ok. Test ride tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I do hope you have bought a branded R/R otherwise you will be going through all the same heartache again and possibly more. I had a pattern R/R fail that took out the battery. All you could smell was rotten eggs. The Mosfet conversion using a Shindengen R/R is the way to go. Even better would be a series R/R from the likes of Electrex World.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information