Monster 1200r Owners Next Bike - 950 Or 698?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by dubcat, May 7, 2024.

1. Currently, I have a Monster 1200r. I love it but I feel like a change. I have only owned 3 bikes, a CBR 650f, Ducati 848 evo and now the Monster.

I've been reading about supermoto's for quite some time and at one point considered a 701. I'm 52 so maybe it would be a bit of a mid life crisis :) I wanted to stay with Ducati though and now we have the 698!

The 950 would be less of a shock to the system than moving all the way to a 698. However, would I still get supermoto benefits from it? I know it's not particularly light for example.

I will test drive both but keen to hear opinions.

2. Try a ktm sdr. For me ,ducati left a big hole when they stopped doing a big v twin naked. I had a sf v4 for a couple of years, but missed a big v twin

3. Depends on the roads you ride, if it’s B roads and less 698 is more suitable, 950 if you’re more an A road rider.
    I own a GG 700 which is the 701 painted Red and the 698 is a much better package than the KTM/Husq/GG offering.
    The only issue with the Supermoto I found is I tend to ride like a Tuesday more. Been stopped by the feds once and reported to them once too, all in 1,000 mile of riding.
    The 950 hyper is too heavy to be a supermoto.

#3 DucatiScud, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  4. My last supermoto was a KTM 640 with a flat slide carb, it didn’t have a soft side or relax mode so it always felt like I was “wired” riding it. I’d imagine the 698 is similar so if you always used the 1200R in a similar manner it might be fine but if there were times when you just rode it to see the sights etc then it might get a bit wearing if it’s your only bike.

5. If I'm honest with myself i'd like to ride like a hooligan but don't have the skills or ball to do so. I tend to do A road on my monster but they are getting a bit boring and I find myself riding too fast too often. I got some points on my license as a consequence. I was hoping to have fun without going at law breaking speeds hence the idea to ride the 698 and ride it on a mixture of a and b roads. Reading the above I'm thinking the 950 might be the better option though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If it does not need to be a brand new bike seek out and try an older air-cooled HM1100 - they are a fun ride for sure! (I am older than you and ride one - a 2011 HM1100 Evo)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Agree - or a 939...

8. Hypers rock, whichever flavour you prefer. I loved my 821.

9. I recently went the other way (950 Hyperetard to monster 1200). As Macca suggests the 950 is a bit of a nutter and needs/wants to be ridden hard. I too don’t have the skills or balls, I always felt like I wasn’t really using it to its potential and with it being so tall I was uncomfortable (5’9”). So after only 12months I went looking for a monster. I love everything about the monster and enjoy riding it infinitely more than the 950. Of course this is just my opinion but i strongly suggest you test ride the super motos for longer than the standard half an hour! They are great fun!

10. I am an old supermoto rider previously having had DZR’s and 690’s and they are brilliant BUT they are too focussed and single minded for an only bike and if your riding mates have “normal” bikes don’t ever go out on your supermoto with them-you get left behind and get fed up wringing its neck trying to keep up. But if several of you have them they’re great fun. I ended up riding everywhere flat out and don’t think that they’re slow-up to 70 they are quick!

now got a 950 RVE and to be honest it’s just like a tall naked bike (I don’t think you’ll notice much difference other than the riding position from the monster) not really much supermoto’ish about the 950 other than the looks……still love mine but it’s not a real
    Supermoto!!

11. Lots of good advice on here for u, but for my bit i would say 950 if your wanting to do more miles or if its just a quick local blast the 698 would be more fun.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information