1200 Odometer Reset

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stephen Buchanan, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Thanks, but I've been checking that. There is one with the right serial number, but the LCD seems all busted up so I'd have to split and repair it anyway.

I'll see how this crowd in Netherlands get on with trying to fix mine before buying any more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. By way of an update.... my dash has been stuck in customs in the Hague since 28th March (12 days an counting)! Something I never even considered when posting off my dash. Even though it is not something being sold into Netherlands, I suspect it has been pulled because I had it well insured as something valuable.

3. Finally, after nearly a month, my dash was cleared from customs check, and sent on to Carmo. They must have jumped straight onto working on it and have emailed to say that it's sorted and ready to ship back to me.

It has been an awful experience, with my bike off the road for a month due to customs, but Carmo seem to have done the business. I'll wait until I get it back (and see how good a repair it is) before recommending Carmo, but so far I can't fault them.

I can't wait to get the bike back on the road again!

• Like Like x 3
  4. My fixed dash is due to be delivered back to me today, with the mileage corrected.

One thing that I am slightly concerned about is the mileage that is stored in the BBS on some bikes. I 'think' that bikes from 2012 onwards had the mileage stored in both the dash and the BBS, and then on start-up they both synchronised, with the higher number over-writing the lower.

Is there any way to be absolutely sure that this isn't the case with my 2010 bike? The last thing I want is to connect my dash and for the BBS to over-write my corrected mileage with the 99,999 and put me back to square one again! Is there anything on the BBS that will help identify whether this might be an issue for me or not?

5. The mileage is stored in the dash. Why would you clear it otherwise?

6. On some bikes the mileage is stored in both the dash and the BBS. I think mine is just stored in the dash, but I'd like to be 100% sure.

On some bikes, when a new dash is installed the mileage automatically syncs to the mileage in the BBS. Originally there were complaints because moisture ingress caused issues with the dashes on these bikes, and when dashes were replaced under warranty the mileage would be back to zero (when mileage was only stored in dash). Changing it so that the mileage was also stored in the BBS was the "fix" implemented by Ducati, so that if you replaced the dash the mileage would reset to what was on the BBS. I just spent over an month and a good few quid getting my odometer corrected to 29,000 miles, and the last thing I want is the BBS to over-write that again with the faulty 99,999!

From what I've read, this change only happened in 2012 or 2013, but I would love a fool-proof way of verifying this before connecting up the dash. Just in case the previous owner maybe updated the BBS, or something crazy like that!

7. My 2012 S had a new dash under warranty, the mileage was stored in the dash. Andy

8. Thanks. Did your new dash therefore read zero miles?

9. Stop pissing about and plug it in.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yes. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. I was more looking for a BBS serial number, or something, but thanks for your help :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  12. This is a comparison of old 2010-2012 to new 2013, by Kurt von Ahnen formerly Ducati North America

• Like Like x 1
  13. Finally ....... Solved!!

Following Siddo's technical advice above, I "stopped pissing about and plugged it in", and thankfully everything worked.

I had a brief scare, only to discover that my battery had died during the month that the bike had been off the road, so a new battery is the next thing to sort out.

After letting it charge while I fitted the dash and rebuild the cockpit, everything came back to life with the mileage back where it should be. It also looks like Carmo have gave the dash a bit of a spruce-up while they'd it split too - there was a bit of light-bleed before, and the LEDs are all a bit more vibrant and clean looking.

The whole ordeal has been a pain in the hole, but in the end it has only really cost me £210. Carmo only charged £180 (inc £20 to post it back) and it cost me £30 to post it to them. Although it was a disaster for me, because the dash got held up in customs for a month and then Carmo used the cheapest (slowest) service to post it back, it actually only took Carmo a couple of days to sort it out and their workmanship seems to be excellent. The dash has obviously been split, but they've did a really tidy job putting it back together and resealing it.

As these early bike start to hit 62,000 miles, and people need their mileages reset to zero, this would be a far cheaper solution than paying Ducati over a grand for a new dash.

Thanks for the help and advice along the way everyone

• Like Like x 4
  14. Glad you got it sorted, now go ride!!

15. Glad it all worked out in the end Stephen.

A bit late but only spotted this yesterday: There's a UK member on multistrada.net that appears to have the skills to do this sort of thing. You'll need to be a member to read the thread, it's free to sign-up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Result.
    Now put that experience behind you and get out and ride it hard.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information