1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Reverse D211?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by JimDane, Jul 24, 2014.

1. My Dunlop D211 GP Racer rear tire (cut slicks) always wears out on the same place, halfways out on the right side as I am mostly driving right turn tracks. Has anyone tried reversing it to gain a couple of days more? Any issues?

tnx

JimR

2. I've often thought about this myself. As I lob a (shagged on one side only) tyre in the bin. I was told the laminate process will only offer full strength in the correct direction of rotation and that swapping it round may result in delamination. It might be shite, truth is I'm not sure.

3. ^^^ More or less heard\read the same here but also the tyre chords stretch in the direction of rotation and because of the application of power, reversing the tyre causes potential "warp" and internal delamination or some other nasty. Whether this is true or not I don't know but personally I wouldn't rotate a tyre just in case it did cause a problem.

4. Yeah, I have read the same but also that this was only true for the American made GPA versions and not the European GP tires (mine are made in France). I too don't want to be the first who tries it :)

I should probably just change to Sportsmart2 on the trackbike, they can be used on the streetbike after scrubbing the edges - it would look cool down at the café too....

Jim

5. if you are changing from D211, why not try Pirelli Supercorsas or Metz Racetecs ?? both of which CAN be reversed and used on the street?

6. I use racetecs and they are a very good tyre, very stable I find. I use K1 on the front and K 2 on the back they do a harder compound K3 which is more for street use. Might be worth trying as suggested

7. I use the Dunlop 211 (cut slicks) and they lasted forever (Track terms) Brno, 1.5 days, 3 Uk track days, and 3 days in Valencia. I have now changed to the Slick version. Even though I think they might have lasted another day at Brands GP, but in valencia the back end was sliding a little towards day 3, might have been tyre pressure, rumble strips, but didn't want to risk it and it was on my mind to either change or not and thats not a good thing when ride on track.

8. Agreed... And I'd feel a bit of a knobber if it went wrong and I binned my pride and joy trying to save a couple of quid...

9. cut slicks are slick tyres the the user then cuts tread in. If you buy a tyre with tread it is a treaded tyre. (unless you get them from a racer who has cu the tread in them)

D211 treaded tyres may well be the same compound as the slicks, but that doesn't make them cut slicks.

10. Treaded tyre it is then :) I chose the treated tyre because I have trouble keeping the slicks properly warm.

Good point with the Pirelli Supercorsa or Racetec's, I think I'll give those a try. I have used Bridgestone R10 and they last just about the same as the D211 for me so why not try a tyre that can be reversed next?

br

Jim

Do Not Sell My Personal Information