1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crank Blanking Plug

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by philoldsmobile, Jul 24, 2014.

1. I've done 5000 miles on my 1998 900 ss ie, now at 25,000 miles. I read in an article that it's worth getting the front cylinder removed and the crank blanking plug checked every 20,000 miles. What are people's thoughts on this? Are the ss blanking plugs prone to backing out, has anyone had one back out and if so at what mileage.

The bike has been on ice since 2012 due to my recovery from an accident, but will be back out next year. I'm thinking about taking the bike to baines for belts (did them myself last time) shims and thorough service, would it be worth having the plug inspected at the same time, or do the majority of bikes never have a problem.

Budget isn't too much of a concern, and to be honest I was considering having baines take the engine out for painting anyway.

Any thoughts?

2. My 91 900ss was checked at 23k and the plug was almost out. It was so ground down that it only needed about one turn to remove it. Ive no idea if it was an issue on later bikes. I like to think that by 98 Ducati would have realised that there was a problem and fixed it

3. The oil galley plug can back out, if it does you should see signs (clippings of aluminium) in the oil. You can just see it with the rear cylinder removed (probably through the front too?) but you can't do anything about it unless you split the engine.

On my '98 916 (now 45k) it was fine at around 38k and so is probably going to be good forever. I split my M900 engine last year (dated '95 and mileage unknown) and that was fine too.

That said a few have backed out but if you do regular oil changes and always check the screen/oil/filter you should get some warning, if it does drop out the engine will seize though...

4. Thanks guys. I'm going to have baines check the bike over before I resume riding, I'll get the plug checked then. Not seen any signs of aluminium in the oil, so probably ok, but better safe than sorry

5. I don't know if it is true because I haven't tried it; but someone that used to PDI the Supersports told me that the oil gallery plug can be seen using a dentists' mirror poked through the screen filter hole.....can anyone confirm it?

6. This happened on my 916. I was very very lucky. I put her in for a Monty at Snells and it got picked up before it became a problem. Added a few hundred quid to the monty but also added relief to me. Phew.

7. I don't think that's correct. The blanking plug, when viewed looking down on it with the rear cylinder removed, is on the LHS on the alternator side, right next to the big end bearing.

8. Oil galley plug;

[​IMG]

View through the rear cylinder;

[​IMG]

9. :mad: Grrrrr FFS I'd expect it from the Yanks, but not you Poms, it's a fuckin' oil gallery plug. A galley is a kitchen on a boat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. or a Galley is a ship propelled mainly by rowing ( something like the NZ Americas cup boat..... oh no, hang on, that needed oars) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I didn't get it wrong:p............I said 'gallery' (even if it is a sort of attic or a walkway in a roof area)

• Like Like x 1
  13. you lot made my day :Hilarious:

14. Bugger, I stand corrected (and by a fookin' colonial too).

Maybe I've spent too much time around 'septics' although I have no excuse, so offer my sincere apologies for the shame brought upon this fine nation, or should I say 'my bad'? :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. A bit more hunting seems to suggest the plug was changed for a steel one which doesn't back out, but I can't find any conclusive answer as to when, some reports say it was upon the introduction of the injected engine, some say it was about 2000. Hell, many parts listing don't even get the injected SS introduction date right, listing it as 99, when it was actually 98 (just a few were R registered, mine is on an S), but even more confusingly first registered in 2000, so there is every possibility the age related plate is slightly wrong - The joys of a bike that spent its first two years in the Middle East as a living room ornament!

About the only thing I have found conclusively is that the 4v motors seem a little more affected (probably due to higher tune and more revs) and the plug seems to come out more frequently on the early 90's engines. By definition most must have stayed put, otherwise it would be vastly more documented. I'll get mine checked, but I'm not going to loose sleep if there is nothing in the oil screen. I'm going yo be doing 1000 miles a year at most, so if I check the oil screen every change I'll know if something is amiss.

Fwiw I've found plenty of evidence of 900 motors racking up very large mile ages with nothing more than regular servicing.

#15 philoldsmobile, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. I was advised by Ducati Italy that my bike was produced between 1996 and 1997 in a total of 510 units (60 units in 1996, 450 units in 1997)........they coudn't be more specific, but according to an HPI check and the DVLA, it was manufactured 1997 and first registered July 97............as to whether I have a steel or ally plug, I can't say, as the oil changes didn't produce anything significant other than little silver pieces of silicon sealant.

I spoke to the PDI guy again and he is adamant the workshop where he worked used a small dentists mirror with an extended handle through the screen filter hole while shining a maglite type torch onto the mirror.........he said there was just enough room to see if it was backing out........I simply can't say if it is possible or not.......see pic below....is it No.3?

If it is, I can see how some people dispute his claim.

upload_2014-7-26_20-28-35.png

17. Yes, number three. I'm not sure it's quite the problem some claim it to be, yes, it does undoubtedly happen, but I'm sure people would have documented it more if it were very common as people love to bang on about reliability with ducatis, so if they self destructed every 20,000 miles we would hear about it all the time. Monsters sold well, and it's common to see them with 40,000 miles or more - I've heard of a few passing 100,000 miles.

I'm going to check my filter screen for aluminium shavings at the next oil change (due now) if it's clear it's unlikely the plug will back out as I've taken it from 20 to 25000 miles, if it's stayed put this long it's unlikely to move now.

18. I'm pretty sure injected SS have steel plug.

• Like Like x 1
  19. No signs of anything in the oil last time I changed mine, that was on 49,000 miles . sayIng that there was nothing in the 400's oil and that's done 18,000km. I was told that the engine on the 750 should be good for 100,000 if looked after.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I can't really see how that would work? but I may give it a try next oil change, purely for research purposes.

But whatever it's called, I wouldn't be taking the engine apart to check it unless I had some evidence of a problem...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information