1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help My Hypermotard 1100s Keeps Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hugh Willmer, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Hi my Hyper keeps cutting out while I'm riding. It's like the kill switch has been pressed which it hasn't. The lights stay on and if I come to a stop and press the starter she fires back up. I haven't a cut out on my side stand anymore and my battery terminals are tight though one of the posts on the battery is slightly loose. Any thoughts on what the problem might be.

2. Have you sorted it yet

3. Lose battery post?

4. Hi there no still got the fault. When I say a loose battery terminal if you twist it it rotates slightly but when moved it doesn't reproduce the fault. Also once the bike cuts out and restarted doesn't seem to cut out again and it restarts easy.

5. Have you checked that the tilt sensor is secure?

6. I had similar issues with the battery - the negative lead cracked and was being held in my the rubber boot. Impossible to see until you pulled back the rubber! I only found it because riding home in the dark the whole bike kept cutting out - clocks going off, lights going out, speed reading going haywire, etc, and knew it was something battery related.

battery.JPG

Other than that I would suspect the side-stand switch as this will cut the engine if the bike is in gear and running without the clutch pulled in. Not that expensive to replace but maybe a good clean will help.

7. Thanks for your replies, I took my side stand switch off a while ago and hard wired it so not that. As I said before when the engine dies the lights say on. With the engine running if I wiggle the wires nothing happens.

8. All my connections to the battery are fine but I've brought a new battery to see if this fixes the fault. Got a feeling it won't .

9. A nice afternoon wiggling loom connectors/fuses/relays on the cards then?

10. Did you check that the angle sensor is still secure because when i was looking at mine it was attached with one of the little rubber bands that they use to tidy the hoses and cables

11. Where is this angle sensor located?

12. r.p.m or crank sensor.

13. Thanks again, where are these sensors located on the bike?

14. left hand side of engine. long lead with 3pined connection.
    just had a thought, my 1100s fugly up to this sprig had an intermittent cutting out, occasional miss fire odd flicker of mil light replaced injection relay been fine ever since. touch wood.

15. Do you know where this long lead comes and goes to as I can't see it , thanks again for your help.

16. assuming its the same as mine left hand side on the engine held in by an alan bolt on the casing next to the vertical cylinder. 800ohms i think. have seen them with good resistance but still brake down.

17. Found it. If it was faulty would the bike stop then start straight away? How can I check if it's faulty or not?

18. in my experience with fiat yes. deffo.
    you can test it with a multimeter. but thinking about it. theses relays yer man keeps recommending you change are very cheep and after changing mine with exactly the same symptoms this spring bike has been perfecto.

19. Where is the injection relay located and how do you check if it's faulty?

20. Where is this located?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information