1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Goddam Mother#%%$1ng Rear Nut...grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by damodici, Jul 21, 2014.

1. No, it says lubricate the threaded end of the shaft.
    you grease the taper of the shaft, not the threads.

If you check a bike when new, this is how it will be. The threads are always dry.

2. JW is correct. You dont grease a thread as you alter the co-efficient of friction and thus the torque required.

3. Yes you alter the co-efficient of friction and thus the torque required but if the part is meant to be greased that will have been taken account of when the manufacturer set the torque level.
    This is the actual wording from the manual......

Refitting the rear wheel
    Lubricate the wheel shaft threaded end with prescribed grease.

4. C'mon gents, I'm getting the wheels back today with new rubber fitted.

To lube or not to lube? That is the question ;)

5. flip a coin:Bag:

6. Lube the damned thing with the correct grease. :)

It's like AndyW said, the torque figure is based upon what force is required when the correct type of grease is used. It's in the manual!

7. Your all so demanding.....lube....don't lube....honestly ;)

8. And don't forget ribbed. Have a little consideration, yeah?

9. Put those on inside out...Selfish me....;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. I dont grease the thread. I clean it with wd40 only, then fire up the impact driver. I suppose if you grease it, then the force of the two threads scraping by will expel any grease anyway on the mating surfaces. So I dont suppose it would do much harm. After all the circlip has to fall off before that nut will start to undo itself. Ive only ever had the rear wheel fall of a lambretta before and although an unpleasant experience, I suspect it would be an unlikely thing to happen on the duke if you do fire it up to 240Nm. Its things like bits of rearsets and gear levers falling off that concern me more. Threadlock is your friend.

EDIT: 230Nm ;-)

#50 bootsam, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. had mine come loose on the fugly. starts with a clicking noise when pulling away.

12. More pictures of the other half's legs to confirm all OK now are required.

13. Maybe it was the lollipop stick pegged on to the wheel to make the clicking noise like we did as kids? Or a slice of plastic cup clothes pegged on. :)

If it came undone, you never tightened properly. Call yourself a mechanic? Tsk tsk and much finger wagging.

14. 3 pages on how to take a wheel off and back on......

perhaps we could make this a sticky.....:rolleyes:

15. The sprocket (ti) nut on my dead bike is stuck fast! Even the rattle gun wont move it!
    Time to get medieval on it with the grinder...:mad:

16. start a new thread........3 pages on how to lube fit and remove a ti nut.....]

i feel another stuffy .......er sticky coming on..

17. F*ck off! Tax discs are dead (nearly) what else is there to talk about...? :p

18. Right lads. Stick to the facts and no gossip. Plod is taking notes. :p

• Funny Funny x 2

19. surely there is another couple of pages on which 'nut' would be best placed to autograph the new Ti nut....

20. Ti? Surely carbon fibre ....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information