1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Opinions On Mv F800

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Old Jock, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Just Googling around and was looking at the MV 800. Think its stunning in Black & White & Black only

Wondered if any here had any opinions or experience of it say against 899 or bigger and more powerful RSV4

Need to do some homework if I went down any of these paths a lot more homework required. But I reckon anything over 120 hp for the road really is wasted and the MV certainly seems to tick a lot of boxes

Discuss

John

2. I looked into them quite a bit. The old importer in the UK was a joke, they have now taken a direct approach and basically your at the mercy of how good your dealer is, MV are making strides to sorting out a Ducati style European Central distribution which will help bring new dealers on.

In terms of the bike, my understanding is that the newest fuel map is somewhat of a revelation and is a massive step towards sorting the iffy ride by wire. Also general opinion is that the 800 has sorted all the niggles that plagued the 675 such as leaking gearbox output shafts and various gasket and assembly issues

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cheers for that. I checked dealers and the nearest to me in Jockland is the northwest which is not exactly convenient.

Funnily enough power and weight wise its close to the 1098, few horses less and almost identical dry weight, guess power delivery would be a lot different and require to keep it on the boil.

Reviews seemed quite positive with just the low throttle fueling being the main issue, but allegedly sorted out now. All said handling and brakes were terrific.

I think the best plan is to leave it until they establish a dealership up here.

Appears pretty good value for such a sweet looking bike

Thanks for the info

John

4. Yeah, I would say though that it won't need working hard to keep it on the boil, even my daytona 675 would pull hard from 5k revs in top which u can't say if a 600 il4, the difference with triples is that they have such a flat torque curve they take a while to get used too. My 848 is peaky in comparison!

The only other thing is that some review say it needs a steering damper, but I am sure that depends on what U do with it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I am sure it has useful insights but they have put out about 10 software updates in the last year.... if you go on the MVAgusta Forum there is a sticky thread which gives the exact software versions and when they were released. The newest was only around April this year and is the 'big fix'. I believe MotorcycleUSA have done a test of the new 'updated' electronics and have some great on board video's of the F3 800 if you want to see what the engine 'character' is like.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I had a quick scoot on one a few weeks ago and really liked it. The motor is superb - very torquey and revvy, accelerates very fast but not in a ridiculous over-powered mode. It makes a great noise. Looks very cool. Awesome brakes.
    Poor dash with illegible rev counter. I wasn't able to check the low speed fuelling, but I did a week later on an MV 800 Rivale I had for a weekend and it was dire. So that is the thing to check when you test one. Is there a factory fix? Is there an aftermarket fix from a software ECU genius? I don't know. But the fuelling definitely spoiled the Rivale, so make sure you can either live with it or fix it if the F3 is the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Rode one today and got to say it was brilliant. Preferred the normal 800 brutale to the dragster but for crying out loud what a bike. I love my SF848 but the multistrada is on its way, I'm afraid. I am so sorry but give one a go and see what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Which are u getting? A brutale?

9. Not decided. I really like the look of the dragster but the normal brutale was just so easy and comfortable to ride but exciting and really quick steering. I' m supposed to be going to Europe later in the year and was going to take the SF848, just thought it would more fun. Not sure if the dragster could luggage up. Anyway I'm going to ride the dragster again on Wednesday.

10. I've got a 675, bloody love it. Fuel map is the latest as is the software, all done by a dealer in the scottish borders. Fuelling is spot-on now, it is odd pulling away in 1st gear but other than that it's the bollocks. I've had no issues in 1500 miles so far, dealer I bought it from is 100 miles away but parts seem readily available if needed, but it's not like walking into a honda dealership to pick up a brake lever. It's the best handling bike I've had, period. Gave it a good spanking around Cadwell and it all made so much sense. Makes my 998 feel like an dinosaur but I still love that nearly as much. My only reservations with it are the electronics, it doesn't really need them, or I don't want the hassle. Rain mode is shit. Just shit. Normal is normal, who wants normal? Sport is good, but it does odd things now and again like opening the throttle a tiny bit when you are hard on the brakes going down the box, which is damned unnerving. There's a custom map where you can turn off all that stuff but I never managed to work it out at the last track day but I'll get it sorted for the next. Traction control is also a pain in the arse, it needs lean sensors to really make sense, it cuts power dramatically going over bumps with the bike bolt upright, even at level 1 of 8. Leaving the annoying electronics out of it (turn them off) it's a great bike and it's the best looking thing since the 916 family was created.
    If you go for the 800 make sure it's had the newer sprag clutch done, they had the same unit as the 675 but the bigger motor ate them.

#11 mary hinge horse burger, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. That's really good info thanks. Really tempted next year to get the 800. Only thing putting me off is the nearest dealer being so far away. The electronics seem a bit strange from what your telling me. I'd be going the same route as you and switching as much of it off, or minimizing as much as possible. The 1098 is around the same power and providing its handled smoothly its not an issue for me (I'm bloody slow anyway).

BUT.....................that dealer in the borders now has me sorely tempted, probably about 80-90 miles from Glasgow, which is not ideal but certainly doable.

Need to start working on the missus

Thanks again

John

12. No worries OJ.
    Many people like the electronics, they just don't suit me. Given a bit more time I'm sure they will get the hang of it, MV have been a wee bit behind on that kind of thing, but they are working constantly to improve things. The dealer in the borders doesn't sell MV's but he knows all about them and has all of the stuff to do mapping updates etc. Don't expect a gleaming showroom, it's the opposite to that, but sometimes the best curry houses look like like shit from outside, if you know what I mean?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've pulled the trigger on the Brutale 800 and let both ducs go. Just couldn't see the point in keeping the SF848 and the Brutale. They are similar things, save the Brutale is more nimble and the riding position seems to suit me better. Feel I will buy another 848 as soon as money becomes less of an object. Sorry about leaving the fold but I will be back. Don't miss the Multi but I feel bad about the SF. The MV due next week, I'll update you when I get it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fair enough! Pics when u get it? I'm going to go and have a look around an F3 at some point.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information