1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Chain Slack Adjustment

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by jimmy 43, Jul 29, 2014.

1. do you have to loosen the rear wheel nut ? or just the 2x clamping bolts on the swingarm, ? thanks

2. Just the clamp bolts matey

3. thanks boss

4. No prob Jim ,how many miles did you get on your tires mate got 1100miles on pani r and front down wear bars and rear nearly us seems to wear front quick?

5. hi richo ,I got about 1500 on o/e tyres ,then put some Michelin pilot power 2ct on got 2500, now ive put some metzeler m7rr tyres on , done about 600 miles on them they are a great tyre ,well worth a look ,best tyre ive had on the road, stable, warm up almost straight away, grip like anything, and they do a 200 rear so t/c doesn't mess up,

6. Can't wait to wear out the Pirelli's
    And try the M7,
    Have been using M3 and M5 on my K13 the last 5-6 years
    Really trust these tyres ,I know it's all in the head

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Never had a bike that wears front tyre out as quick as rear weird been running race techs k2,s on aprilia getting 2 rears to 1. Front ....

8. My 2011 fireblade would wear tyres at a rate of 1 to 1 and would get about 1700 miles a pair. My panigales oe tyres were replaced at about 1900 miles the DRC's I replaced them with have done 3200 miles still got plenty of life a reasonable profile and they've been to Europe and done a track day.

9. If you look at tinternet you'll see different torque values for those bolts. The Workshop manual that I bought off eBay (which is in HTML folders and absolutely shit to use) says grease threads then tighten to 25nm in 1-2-1 steps. . So tighten first one, tighten 2nd then re-tighten the first and leave.

I imagine one bolt takes up a tiny bit of slack of the other possibly so if you keep going back and forth to ensure 25nm you'll still be doing it this time next week.

10. Please excuse egg sucking type comment; but I'm guessing that you've not adjusted the chain before... Don't forget to reset the rear ride height after you've altered the chain...

11. I just had a lesson on this at my local dealer.

On the MTS you have to put it in Urban mode first, support the bike on a paddock stand and measure from a point on the underside of the swinginging arm next to the chain runner lug to the tightest point on the chain or the soft rivet.

Tighten the clamp bolts to 35 Nm and repeat until both are definitely at 35Nm

I asked about the Panigale he said same method but they adjust to 45 mm, not what is says on the sticker. Not sure about the suspension setting though.

Hope that helps

12. Although the MTS tool kit has a chain adjusting tool, which you put a separate handle on, can anyone recommend one that has the long handle like they use in the Ducati workshops ?

13. both 848s I had always wore the front way before the rear. So does most I know. 1098s didn't.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information