1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally took a Diavel out for a spin - my thoughts

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by mattmccabebrown, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Put it in a Panigale. It'd sell better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hmmmm considering swapping the hyper sp for one as it has grown on me soooo much....I have a 1098s for sporty fun but the diavel is looking good

3. I'm in the same frame of mind

4. Dunno what it is about the diavel......ill look at it from one angle and think it looks the tits and then another and think it looks awful....still undecided - ill hang on to the ole 1100evo for the moment...

5. Take a test ride. Push it hard. It'll all click then :)

6. I was about to say exactly the same thing. It's a bike that's made for riding, not staring at.

7. Yeah - I know but its gotta look right (for me anyway) ie im building a 525 ktm supermoto at the moment - while most of them don't tend to sort out the ride height they look ok - but one caught my eye (it was on ebay for about a day and then disappeared) but it looked "right" and in the description he said that it was lowered to the correct height for a supermoto....that's my reference point (for my build)

I would say rear - looks perfect
    front - bit to be desired - probably the bit I don't like the most is the headlight - out of the 70's (same with the monster...) - plus the ride stance looks very "chopperish" if that's a word..

As others would say on here - I might come round eventually - I expect age will force me off of my rsv4 eventually...

8. I too rode one today and would sell my soul for one I think!

My other half didn't feel safe on the back, sissy bar anyone? lol

9. Don't take her on the back. Job jobbed :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh if only it was that easy!

Hopefully my lotto numbers come in tonight, then I can get rid of her lol

11. That's the gay version :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Reckon it'd make an awesome tourer though!

13. I took a Diavel Strada out for a test ride last year, and came away thinking it was a nice idea in principle, but not as well executed as it could have been.

The swept back handlebars put pressure on my wrists because of the angle of the grips, and the screen diverted the air flow right at my helmet which was very noisy. The panniers look good new but they fade in the sunlight and mark easily.

I wanted to like it, but I came away feeling it felt like it had been designed and brought to market in a hurry. I'm not surprised it's been dropped for this year, though the pannier rack is still available as an accessory and there are mounting points on the frame of this year's bike. If you want to tour 2 up and don't mind losing the rear LED lights, then it might be an option.

That's the bad news. The good news is that although the standard bike doesn't look too luggage friendly, there are luggage loops under the seat and it's possible to fit straps round the frame to secure a tail pack.

14. I was quoted £400 for the luggage rack/grab rails and the backrest, the backrest comes off with three bolts but as I understand it you end up losing the cool rear lights, suddenly it's less appealing.

15. Have to say I love the look of the bike. The Titanium is lovely but the black & white is a thing of beauty too if you want something slightly different to what most Diavel owners will have

16. i have a 2014 Diavel carbon white and a 2013 Panigale Tricolore S and i fckn love the both of them , i dont care about reviews or what anyone has to say about either of the bikes , I LOVE THEM and thats all that matters , they suit me and my needs , i can adapt to both styles of riding the moment i get on either of them and they both definetly arent garage queens as both bikes get their necks wrung on a regular basis :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for all the reviews.

Got a 999s mono so have been casting around for something with pillion seat. Always fancied a go on a Diavel, so booked a test ride at Italia Moto Lincoln.

Sussed the touring and sport mode switching....easy on the move. Given the settings put up ABS and DTC levels I assume these are customisable......forgot to ask. It was v cold on Friday so two up were in touring mode. Smooth at 30 mph although engine braking a bit sharp for pillion....lurch forwards hard to dial out. Launching past cars on first overtake, pillion needs to be paying attention. 2nd and 3rd gear front wheel going light.

Sought out local twisties and immediately decking rhs, then later the lhs. Huge amount of confidence from the acres of rubber, so enjoying tipping it into the bends. Wide bars a bit Motocross for leveraging it in and no issues correcting the line mid corner.

Petrol stop checked for scrapes and it is the head of a nut on an exhaust clamp well chamfered, then the flip up peg. On Lhs it's the foot peg. Obvious concern the exhaust could leverage the rear off the road.....so calmed the exuberance a little.

Controls nice and simple. Indicator also houses the touring mode button, so often bringing that up in error. It doesn't change until you select and hold and throttle off, so no risk of changing it in error. Found the menu button that's set quite deep and harder to press....but brings up mpg average speed etc. Couldn't intuitively work out how to zero it.

Throttle and brake (front) action great. Burying the front managed a chirrup as the abs did something. Also over gravelly bit a little shimmy....can't tell if DTC did anything. Grip confidence total.

Riding position; with pillion, sat upright, wind blast is immense over three figures.....genuinely a limit on progress. The bike had no screen fitted. Sports bike ball of foot on pegs possible.....but heels on exhaust both for me and my missus. Standard exhaust has a bracket for pillion heel rest. I'm 6 4" and on standard seat had no achy hips (I was warned is might be an issue).

Dropped my missus back and scooted out on sport mode. V cold (7 degrees) so extremities were losing feeling....then rain stopped play. But not before decking it again solo. Straight line speed add another 20mph with crazy looking forward crouch.

In all ..... A total hoot flinging what looks like a huge heavy slug through twisty bends at unfeasible speeds. If I could sort ground clearance I'd be buying one as my two up ride.

Update......had a follow up test drive on the older gen 1.....feels identical except this has no fuel gauge just a warning; and er, that's it. The one spark two spark difference not noticeBle. Equally smooth at lower speeds.....but I'm jumping off a 999 !!

This one had a small fly screen and heated grips.....both brilliant. Also touring seat. Went two up again and son followed on his RSV1000 Mille. Left him for dead straight line......he got so nervous seeing his mum and dad bouncing and sparking through bends though he went past......tootled up to x35mph without drama, albeit a bit bouncy. Wind blast sorted by diddy screen.

Think I'm sold on it as a two up blaster. Ride it sports bike style and I expect to catch out a few guys over the mountain at the TT. Two up will double the satisfaction......

It's no pressure when pootling, but lifts up its skirts and blasts when needed.

So, genuinely, anyone know how to jack up the ground clearance and whether the suspension can be stiffened up a tad for cracking on?

18. Ohlins rear shock? It will raise the ride height as i understand but I don't know by how much, could be a better shock for two up riding as the damping works properly and you can get the stiffer springs although changing them is a pain, speak to FTR. That's is about it for ride height not sure the forks can go lower. On my Gen 1 the header pipe decks out which is expensive to replace.

19. thanks Mike

thanks for the reply - was Ohlins an option? Or was there an 'S' version of the Diavel? Sorry to be a bit thick on the model history. As far as I can see aside from the wheels, the Carbon version is just some panels and the front mudguard. Seems a big premium. Or put another way the Carbon isn't like buying an S or R spec' as per Ducati sportsbikes. If i've got that wrong someone let me know.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information