1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puncture Repair Kit Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by firecat0_0, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Hi,
    Off to France on Thursday and wanted to get a puncture repair kit before I go _ just in case. I am probably tempting fate lol!
    Can anyone recommend a good kit?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Try Tyre Weld if you have room for a tin - Tesco some times have it at half price (around £3.50) used it twice on cars and not only did it get me home, it lasted 20,000 miles on both occasions! Not that I'd do that with a bike - but a hassle free way of finishing your holiday. Just read the instructions as most of the people who have failed with this probably didn't!
    I used it on a bike too for an emergency to get me home when a pub landlord gave me a tin - worked great every time.

3. The "string" type repair/plug kits seem popular.
    I carry one of these though (below), cos it looks a lot more straightforward to use.
    REMA TIP TOP TYRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT SCOOTER MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE ATV QUAD BIKE
    Supplied as original kit with BMWs, apparently.
    Haven't needed to use it yet though, so can't comment from experience, but I have used other "Rema" brand products and found them to be top quality.

4. I seem to be getting loads of punctures since getting Pirelli GT tyres fitted to the multi so tried Goop tyre weld stuff. Now I was recommended this stuff by my tyre fitter after me calling in with a brand new rear tyre with a nail in it. I was amazed how it fixed the hole in seconds and I did 3000 miles on it with no problems. So I put the stuff in my tyres just in case I get a puncture and guess what happened today when I was in the middle of no where The tyre deflated about half way before the goop plugged the hole which gave me a chance to ride the bike to the garage. I pumped the tyre back up to 40 psi and just carried on. 230 odd miles today and no problems. I fully recommend this stuff and it only costs £8 a bottle. The tyre fitter doesn't mind it either because it just wipes off......water based stuff. Not like the old foam crap that's out there. I now put it in all my tyres.

5. I use the "string" type of puncture repair and they work well. Although they're supposed to be a temporary fix, I've done over 1000 miles on the last repair without problems! I picked up the kit for under a fiver from a local hardware store but you can buy them from ebay cheaper.
    The only issue with any repair kit is having air to inflate the tyre if you're in the middle of nowhere. You may want to think about taking some kind of pump, either manual or electric, just in case?

6. Got a puncture today out in the middle of nowhere on my rear tyre. Had been up to Heart side café with the wife on the back. We decided to come through some of the back roads and then down the west coast to ride home. we'd just turned off a main road when I felt the back wobble a bit when I was leaning into a corner at first I thought it was just a bit of dodgy road surface but the same happened on the next bend so I pulled into a passing point to double check and I was right there was no air left in the back hoop.
    So I thought I'd fix it with the puncture repair kit that came with the bike. May be I should have read the instructions months ago, It came with 3 Co2 canisters a few tools and some glue and 3 O shaped plugs, so you'd think it was good for 3 punctures, this is not the case. the instructions say you will need to use all 3 Co2 canisters to inflate the tyre enough to ride to a max of 40mph. So now I know this I realise the plug has to work first time.
    Mine didn't, it took 2 attempts, and even then it still leaked, I road 2 up with 2 canisters worth of gas in a leaky tire for 7 miles at 20 mph then bought some tyre weld and 60 pence worth of air. I ran the bike on the centre stand for a few mins to let the Tyre weld work. It didn't it just flicked out all over the back of the bike.
    So I bit the bullet and put 45 psi in the tyre and we bolted to the next garage several miles away through the busy lake district road to Ambleside. we did this for next 30 miles constantly getting flagged down by other concerned bikers. un till eventually I got fed up and decided to use the last tyre plug and buy another tin on Tyre weld. I stuffed the other plug in next to the one I already had in and filled the tyre with the magic white foam. finally it worked. We made a dash for it for the last 35 miles stopping at a few garages just to check all was ok.

So here's some advice that may save you the same hassle as I had today. If you get a puncture and your going to use tyre plugs to fix it don't put any gas in until you've got as many of the sucker in the hole as physically possible give the glue time to harden then trim off the excess then test it with 1 gas canister and prey it don't leak if it don't use the rest. if it does use one ride slow and then refill the tyre at intervals until you reach a garage.

Good luck and god be with you.

#6 jcmental, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I use the rubber mushroom type of plug to repair punctures.

I also buy a few extra canisters as thought the 3 would not be enough for redundancy , Used it myself in Germany about 4 years ago on the Pan and it stayed in the tyre until it was due for a replacement 3k later. Have used it another 3 times but not on one of my bikes but other peoples. Does the job for me and dont take up a lot of room in the pannier either.

8. I'll say it again. GOOP IS YOUR FRIEND. GOOP GOOP GOOP. It's amazing stuff. I've had two punctures and GOOP fixed them before the tyre totally deflated. Pumped it back up to pressure and I'm still running on it after 2000 miles.

9. I have used goop tyre weld and it is doing quite well and there is no problem till now. Good suggestions are given here. thanks

10. Just returned from a 2000 mile tour of Ireland and Scotland. I got a two hole puncture in the middle of no where in Scotland. Lost about 10 psi from the rear tyre before the goop plugged it from inside. Got to the next petrol station 50 miles later. Pumped it back up and job done. I know I keep saying it but GOOP is amazing stuff and it didn't spoil the holiday at all. That's three punctures now. Amazing stuff.

11. I had occasion to use the Rema repair kit the other day.
    Can't say I was all that impressed.
    The first plug broke during insertion and the second one worked but began leaking slowly after a few miles.
    Luckily I was able to limp to Donington, hopping between forecourt airlines, where the nice man from Pirelli re-plugged it with one of the string type plugs.
    This worked a treat.
    I have since replaced the tyre (this was its third repair !!!) and thus had the opportunity to inspect the string-plug closely.
    I was sceptical before I'd actually seen them but once fitted, they do look like they do a very good job and should be very secure and reliable.
    So that's what I'll be carrying in future.

Incidentally, the other two repairs were done by myself using pukka, inserted from the inside, mushroom plugs, bought at 5 for a fiver off ebay.
    These are simple to fit and pretty much 100% reliable.

12. Honestly mate I wouldn't waste your money on the sticks. How do you pump the tyre up at the side of the road when you get a puncture or two?
    You guys really need to try this goop stuff.... You don't even have to waste time getting your hands dirty trying to fit the sticks into the tyre..... Goop just fixes the hole/holes before the tyre fully deflates and then drive to a garage and pump it up...You can't feel it inside the tyre... It's as simple as that..

13. When you say "simple to fit", does that include taking the wheel off the bike, taking the tyre off the wheel, fitting the mushroom from the inside, fitting the tyre back on the wheel, the wheel back on the bike, and re-inflating? Yes quite simple to do at the roadside in the middle of nowhere - provided you have remembered to bring a well-equipped workshop with you in your top-box.

14. Goop and it's ilk work right up until you have a catastrophic tyre failure because you've got a thousand punctures and don't know about them. Avoid like the plague.

These are excellent: Amazon.co.uk: cargol: Automotive

Mind your hands with any CO2 kits - they can cause burns if you hold the bottle with your bare hands.

15. You know when you have a puncture because it deflates slightly ...... So you can asses how bad it is. I think catastrophic failure is a bit strong mate to be honest. Lol

16. I've had good and bad experiences with tyre sealants, Slime has been OK in one moto tyre, but kept weeping in another, Holts tyre weld has been good on a car tyre but was useless on the moto. The times I've used the strings and O shaped plugs they've been good and held pressure well every time.
    Gas canisters, take your chance with them, you'll need three to get a decent bit of pressure and it's easy to mess up with one. I learnt my lesson and bought one of these little pumps from Wilko for when I go away touring, a good price but I'd give it a rest half way through a full inflation so that it doesn't over heat.
    Wilko Air Compressor 12v Mini Black at wilko.com

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. You are of course absolutely correct that it would obviously be ridiculous to attempt to fit one of these mushrooms at the roadside.

I've never been happy with the sloppy sealants, for the reasons others have stated.
    But I'm sure they are very effective in the majority of cases ...I just worry about the minority.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information