1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Clutch Friction Plates

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by VtwinDave, May 19, 2014.

1. #2 chrisw, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I have some Newfren brake pads in my 748R calipers and I am not impressed by them at all, I get terrible brake fade when hot. I get the impression that Newfren make things down to a price to an extent.

There is a lot of negativity on some sites about their products although this seems to apply more to their brake pads.

3. I've got Newfren plates in my M900 and they are fine, work perfectly.

One thing though, don't use aluminium plates if you have a steel basket.

4. Aren't Newfren plates rumored to be oem? ;)
    Good link - I think I need some soon, horrible smell during a resent traffic light Grad Prix...Unless I pooed myself...:Jawdrop:

5. If anyone needs convex plain plates, JHP sells them. Ive just bought a couple. My clutch is still a bit snatchy even after the lithium grease trick.

6. still sliping?

7. No the slipping went after I gave it another 3hrs at 250degC in the oven. I hadnt baked the lithium off properly. As was evident from the amount of smoke that filled the house once I opened the oven door. Good job she was at her Mams. I cunningly disguised any residual aroma by having bacon butties and ensuring I had the bacon under the grill as she arrived home.

But its still a bit snatchy. So I am putting a convex plate in to see if that helps.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cool. :smile:, just out of interest how was the following sunday roast?

9. Fine. I took the precaution of adding tin foil on the bottom of the oven to catch any residue. The chicken was nice thanks.

10. excellent, what they dont know cant hurt em. :upyeah:

11. I bought the NewFren plates from Germany and they are definitely not oem!
    The tabs on the plates are about 1.5mm shorter than oem, so they rattle about in the basket. Given that the wear tolerance for those tabs is 0.6mm, you're not starting off in a good place.
    I also found that they wore out really quickly. I got about 8,000 miles out of a set before they wore below the limits. I managed to juggle with the original set of plates to get the stack height back up but needless to say that I won't be buying another set of these, but spending the extra to get originals which lasted 3x longer!

12. I suppose it depends what basket you've got? I have an MPL basket and the Newfren plates were actually a tight fit and didn't rattle at all at first - of course 4,000 miles later they rattle nicely, will have to see how they wear but looking good so far.

13. Brand new Ducati alu clutch basket...

I changed both basket and plates at the same time. I thought I was going mad so tried the oem plates and they were a correct fit in the basket even though they were worn.

14. I've ordered the plates and they are on the way and i had ordered a clutch basket on ebay but the sellers out of stock so got a refund . So does anyone know a good place to order a basket

15. Don't suppose you've got any of your used Friction Plates up for grabs have you? Wanting to do the "quiet clutch" mod on my ST4S. Will gladly exchange for beer tokens.

16. Yeah I still have them , how many do ye need

17. Two would be ideal. Do you want a payment for postage and a beer through PayPal?

18. No your grand sure they would have being going in the bin cheers , pm me your address and I'll post ye on 2

Do Not Sell My Personal Information