1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Carbon Exhaust Shields

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by AlfG, Aug 17, 2014.

1. My 996 has the carbon Termis fitted and also has the curved carbon exhaust shield.

I have bought some rearsets with DP carbon heel guards, but the heel guard and exhaust shield clash.

I see that there are smaller curved exhaust shields, but these have a greater distance between the fixing points of about 133mm I think.

The shield fixing points on my exhaust are 78mm apart.

Does anybody know if I can get the smaller curved shield with 78mm spaced fixings?

I seem to only be able to find 3 types, the 133mm spaced short shield, 78mm spaced long shield and a parallelogram shaped shield to replace the original for the standard exhaust.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1746.JPG

2. Trim the heel guard?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. :eek:

4. You are right in saying there are three types and they are the stock 998 style although yours seems much longer at the bottom as per your top photo, the SPS style which is thinner and longer at the back pointing towards the exhaust and also a shorter at the rear SPS style.

I have the stock 998 style fitted to two of my bikes and you can buy a jubilee clip which has a rivnut set into it which allows you to clamp it around the exhaust and adjust both the angle of fixing and also where it needs to fit on the exhaust pipe mounting.

The DP style heelguards can foul the bottom a bit but I have not had a set that I couldn't fit and I have three sets fitted to my three 748 style bikes.

The best heatshield to buy is the short SPS stlye but it also happens to be the hardest to find, certainly new anyway. I have one on my 998 which I got from a now defunct carbon supplier but it still has to use the jubilee clip modification as it is based on the SPS exhaust spacing.

The long SPS heatshield came as part of the exhaust package originally and the the fixings were made to mate the shield at the time.

So all you need is a correctly sized jubilee clip a rivnut tool and you can then set it up to fit your bike. After seeing the first one I made up the other two myself using this method.

The shield by the way goes behind the heelguards.

Here's an older picture of my 748SPS fitted intially with a polished 998 heelguard but it is still fitted wit the the jubilee clamp to hold the 998 guard in place as the 748 spacing is different again. I later changed to a carbonfibre guard and just moved the clamp.

This is on 45mm exhaust pipes by the way if you have 50 mm then you might need to use two clamps, this was how the kit was originally supplied, it is not a Ducati kit but an aftermarket one incidentally.

924-1348216129-379e26356fc93a94582983834a4fdc2f.jpg

#4 Red998, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. +1 for trimming the guard, it's what I did..[​IMG]

6. Looks like you're going to have to trim that heel guard.

The one I have I found on ebay and looong time ago. Here's a pic for you info. (please excuse the brown pipes...)

DSC_0901.JPG

7. Or..go commando and remove the heel guards completely. Added benefit of weight saving too. :rolleyes:

8. Now that's the heal guard I want but I have never seen one of those for sale.

I think for me the commando option is better than trimming the exhaust shield as I'm not sure the sharp edge looks right.

Will try looking for the circlip with fixing though and see if the smaller shield will work if I cant find the alternative heel guard.

Thanks for the posts with ideas.

9. Depending on the amount of overlap, you could fit spacers behind the rearset & guard so that it sits on top of the exhaust guard?

10. ^^^ I didn't need to do this with mine as it should fit behind the guard, but I did machine up some spacers to make the guard sit more away from the heat of the exhaust pipe. A bit of fiddling and you should get it to work.

11. Mine don't even have the upper exhaust heat shield. Theres no bolt fixings.

12. I think they're the 748RS heel guards.

Try google, I'm sure something will come up.

13. Great!

They accepted my offer so with postage I've paid just over £60.

Thanks to Bullitt for pointing out a different heel guard.:upyeah:

Ducati RS Heel Guards.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Excellent mate, glad to hear you go them.

Now, get them on, post a picture and ride safe ;-)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information