1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Earplugs/in Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Loverobot, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Has anybody successfully managed to have custom earplugs and most particularly in ear monitors produced that work under a helmet? I had impressions taken at the Ducati day at Silverstone by ultimate hearing and ordered both custom earplugs and in ear monitors because they had brought out a dual driver low-profile monitor which apparently was going to be okay to use under a helmet

I particularly was interested in this because I wanted a set of decent in ear monitors to play music and satnav audio whilst touring

unfortunately despite attempts for them to amend the plugs by re-dipping them and slightly altering them I have been unable to achieve a consistent seal when wearing a helmet. When I initially put them in they are excellent but as soon as I put my helmet on they then don't attenuate properly

I have asked them as to whether the impressions should have been taken with the helmet on and they have told me that it's not possible to do this with the dual driver in ear monitors? I'm a little surprised by this because neither of the sets work including the straightforward earplugs which suggests to me that the impression wasn't taken right in the 1st place

It looks like we've arrived at a refund situation which is less than ideal because I really wanted some decent in ear monitors

has anybody got personal experience of custom earplugs and if so particularly in relation to in ear monitors, how did you get yours to fit?

2. I hade mine done by Puretone in Medway, Kent. You have to visit them for the impressions, or get them sent by your local Ear guy. They work really well even after a few years.

3. And for the impressions they literally filled the ear with the silicon moulding mixture, so putting a helmet on would've been very messy!

4. had some made via work (they were having a H&S day so cost me nowt). Anyway they fit well under my helmet after I adjusted them a bit (i.e. took the little metal clip that holds the cord to keep them as a pair out and replaced with my own) until I did this when putting on my helmet I just used to push them right with my finger after.

this is the company website:
    Moulded Earplugs, Ear Plug Protections, Custom Ear Plugs

5. yeah, I got some from Ultimate. The right one fits really well, the left not so well but ok. When I put them in I'm deaf as a post but during a ride the seal goes and I get a lot of wind noise. I don't have a solution.
    I tried those £20 ones that have the fancy hole in the middle that are supposed to be tuned for motorcylists...guess what, the hole in the middle let noise in. You know, I keep wondering if the foam sets for a quid are the best answer.

I do use the ultimate ones though with speakers in to hear sat nav, also tells me where speed cameras are, not that I ever need to worry about them though.

6. my mate said there where a waste of money he had them and binned them after few rides

7. which ones

8. [​IMG]

Can't go wrong. And cheap as chips.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Update -
    So they were sent back again and I suggested we redo the moulding process as clearly something isn't right
    They now tell me they cant actually take a new mould either helmet on or helmet off and cant make them work under helmets!
    Very poor and a real inconvenience
    My advice is to stay away and go to a company that can actually deliver a product that works
    Really wanted these to work but sadly the result was a waste of time

10. I have several sets of military issue moulded ear defence and the backs protrude too far out of the ear to wear under a motorcycle helmet. That same thickness provides the rigidity required to out them in and out though. But of a pain and I'm glad I didn't pay for them but I think the yellow soft type are the best for helmet wear. Doesn't solve your music issue though.

11. Second that, have found them the best of the lot.

12. oh yeah forgot to say they wash well because theyre foam so last longer

13. So does that mean that Ultimate Ear plugs will reimburse all previous customers as they are admitting the product cannot work ?

14. I also recommend the Howard Leight Rhubarb & Custard plugs. Dont buy em oneBay though as theres some fakes which dont last even one use.

15. Possibly some progress in the sense that I have est that it is possibly the actual sound monitors that may be slightly too large; the version that I have bought from them is a dual driver version as opposed to a single driver version which takes up less space. I'm very happy to work with them to try to get it to work and they seem a little happier to do this. Fingers crossed and hope for a result that works.

16. Try Auto-tel in Loddon norfolk they make custom ear plugs for car race teams i have bought a couple of pairs with built in coms for my scarla rider q3 to plug into, fit perfect- sounds great even at 100 mph plus, i cannot hardly hear the cans from my 1198 wind noise is also perfect, they are great people down there and very helpful a bit pricey but worth the money

Do Not Sell My Personal Information