1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Monster Test Ride - 821 And 1200s

Discussion in 'Monster' started by SHR61, Aug 27, 2014.

1. My wife has been looking for a second bike to supplement her BMW F650GS twin, which she uses mainly for commuting. She is 5'5" and this does restrict her choices . The second bike is going to be a fun bike and after looking around we found the new 821 Monster was one of the bikes that appeared to be low enough for her, especially with the height adjustable seat.

She took one out two weeks ago and really enjoyed it, but we decided to take another test ride today. I thought I would try the 1200 Monster at the same time.

So, how did I find it?

It was the 1200S and the Ohlins suspension front and rear was sublime, giving a wonderful ride quality. The handling was sharp and precise and the brakes had good feel at the front and plenty of progression. The rear seemed a bit weak though.

The power of the engine was bonkers, especially in sport mode and it just wanted to be unleashed all the time. But riding in real road conditions, especially slowing down for towns and villages revealed a far more serious issue (for me). At low revs the engine is very lumpy and it was necessary to use 3rd or 4th gear to ensure some smoothness, but this led to much hunting and surging whilst trying to hold a steady throttle opening. It didn't matter if it was in urban, touring or sport mode, it still surged. I found such lack of refinement in the fuelling most surprising.

This low speed performance was a complete contrast to the 821, which was a little gem, much smoother, no surging and still with a powerful punch. I only tried this in sport and touring modes, but thanks to the much greater smoothness I didn't feel the need to try out urban.

In short, the 821 was the superior of the two by virtue of its more accomplished engine.

I don't know if the performance of the 1200 was indicative of the model, or if the example I rode was below par, but if it is normal behaviour then it needs sorting out.

As for the 821, after three test rides ( I took out a ZZR1400 and my wife decided to take the 821 again) I strongly suspect an 821 will end up in our garage in the not too distant future.

2. Hated both, didn't feel like Ducati's. If they'd taken the name off the tank it could have been a Honda or Suzuki (I've owned both of their big Vee twins in various guises) just soulless, I'd rather get an 1100 evo or even something earlier.

Just my opinion, but I was ready to by a 1200S until I rode it, loads of power but no soul, the smaller one was a little better but I couldn't bring myself to part with the £££££

3. Soul! no soul........
    Character and soul aren't born they evolve. A quick test ride wouldn't give any time for either to emerge.
    The 1200s is just incredible and so far away from any other Jap bike.
    Only 1,300 miles on the clock of my 1200s and the character is starting to emerge.

4. I`m with Bluestoesonnose here, I think the air cooled engines have loads more character than the liquid cooled ones. Loads less horsepower too of course .

5. I have to say even the little 696 has a lovely old fashioned charm too it, really liked it. I struggled with the 1200 throttle and amount of engine braking, would try a 821 for sure

6. Interesting to hear this. My 1098 is lumpy and snatchy at low constant speeds, the engine in the 1200 is the 1198 engine I believe, so its effectively the same although a different capacity. Maybe its a charachteristic of these engines?
    There you go it does have character ;)

7. Just not a good one!

8. Same engine but maybe different ECU programme on my mutley. 30 mph in town requires 2nd gear for control and smoothness , might change to 3rd in a 40mph zone,note might. I haven't ridden 1200 monster but I cannot imagine any Large Ducati V twin being happy in 4 th gear at 30 mph?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sorry to say, you can tell if the bike has character and soul when you first pull away, you can tell if the bike is talking to you and you can tell if the bike feels special. Yes the new Monster is fast (mind blistering so) but its a Gelding not a Stallion, I prefer my bikes with balls and temperament, the new Monster just felt like a computer game, like an improved SV1000N if you will. There wasn't any drama, any poise any connection, I didn't feel I had to try that hard to get the best out of it.

It didn't have anything that stood out (apart from speed) nothing that separated it from the pack, nothing that made me want to buy one. The only time I really felt like owning one was when I was looking at it, not riding it and that's pointless. It was too sanitised, too remote, too Japanese (or German). Oh! and the rear exhaust position is also really annoying!

The 998 S4RS is still the ultimate Monster, you know it's a Ducati when you hear it, look at it and ride it!

10. When I test rode my mutley the first several miles were in a 30 mph area,once in the national speed limits,within 2 minutes I knew I had to have one,it was instantly communicating to me. I also test rode other bikes and had them for half a day etc, but they never gave me the horn in the same way the one I purchased did.

11. I really don't understand why people complain about slow speed riding on bikes, your buying a 1200cc motorbike, I think there designed better for the open road not pootling round the village

• Like Like x 3
  12. I call bullshit on this comment. I ride a 1200 multi skyhook and an 821 Hyper. The multi is a dream to ride slowly around town compared to the comparatively chuggy hyper.

13. 1200, so you bought a 1200cc Mulitstroodle to ride around town? Each to their own I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt as I don't know you or if you are on a special needs benefit. Whoever said I bought a Multi to ride around town? I certainly did not. All I stated was that when I was in a town the bike runs extremely well compared to my hyper. Please do me a favour, try to engage your brain if you are going put me down next time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. interesting to hear your thoughts everyone! I was/am still considering a new Monster 1200s. I currently own a 998s (not a Monster derived S4RS doodaah!). My 998 is a bloody overheating animal in town - but it behaves well - I read above that one of you has problems with the new Monster around town? why don't you just put a different front sprocket on it? sorted surely?! I LOVE the Testastretta! enough power and oh so much grunt! I've not ridden a bike with the new 11 doodaah thingy Testastretta, but I imagine it's not gonna be any worse than the original is it?
    I want to take a 1200S for a test ride and decide for myself - but I just can't imagine the engine being any duller than the original Testastretta lump?!?! but hearing what you all say above, I'm concerned.
    My only real issue with the bike cosmetically is it looks a bit clinical and lacking in character around the handlebar area - just looks a bit emotionless to me - but I'm looking forward to a ride, I just love the riding position!...

16. you struggled with the engine braking? why? not enough? does it have one of those slipper clutch thingies?! My 998 has got a slipper - but I still get a good deal of engine braking from it - obviously not as much as I did with my old 998 that had a standard clutch, but it is still enough!....I'm rather hoping the new Monster with it's V (or L) twin has a breathtaking amount of brutal engine braking - that's half the joy of a V twin surely?!...

17. You have to use the gears on the big Ducati engines. That is what they are for after all.

You can't expect big powerful v-twin engines to chug along in 4th gear+ at 30mph. They are derived from sportsbike engines.

18. I don't know what world you live in but in the real world, especially in the south east, you have no choice but to ride in roads restricted to 30 and 40mph. With 3 engine modes one of them should allow smooth progress when you hit these zones.

19. When I had a test ride on a Multi last year I found it handled town work a lot better than the 1200S and was much more rideable.

20. Thank you. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information