1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Clutch Help

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by gremlyng, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Had a decent ride today got home cleaned the bike and when I came to put it away noticed that when I pull or depress the clutch lever right at the end of its travel I get a clunk/click. I tried starting the bike and its trying to pull the bike forward like the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

I noticed a while ago that the rubber seal around the pin or piston in the master cylinder is slightly ripped but nothing was or has leaked from it. I make sure its always clean and lubed so don't think that's the cause.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(2008 1098s)

2. After having 2 1098's now, there has always been a clutch issue with both. After a very very long run the knurled adjuster on the clutch lever can move out (vibration i guess), an easy thing to put right. The slave cylinder on the engine does need bleeding every now and again. Neither are big issues, but checking both normally resolves any problem.

3. Cheers for that, I have ASV short levers fitted is it still possible to have the same issues?

4. bleed it....

5. I bled it a month or so ago because the fluid was dark in colour, it felt a bit smoother but it felt almost the same in it's operation which led me to thinking it was ok anyway. I would say that the problem I have now is not related to it needing to be bled. (Just for info, the slave cylinder in an 'Oberon')

It literally feels like the pin in the master cylinder is not depressing all the way, just before reaching the end of the travel in the clutch lever it's like it slips or clunks/clicks at the lever (not traditional clutch slip) but not having really taken this sort of thing apart before I'm left scratching my head. The clunk I hear and feel 100% defintely comes through the clutch lever, so much so that I'd say it's isolated to the mechanics of the clutch lever ow what ever bits it connects to. :-(

The interesting thing is that if I start the bike in Gear with the clutch lever depressed it tries to move the bike forward on the starter motor! This tells me that it isn't fully disengaging the clutch. But I'm almost certain this is not a fluid issue. I managed to ride it after this to put it away in the garage. This problem wasn't happening throughout the day - I put almost 3 tanks of fuel through her yesterday so covered decent mileage and the bike was running and operating sweet.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the plunger / pin in the master cylinder could have jumped and is not sat in it's channel properly or something :-/

#6 gremlyng, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Try fitting the original levers. Maybe the ASV's are not machined quite the same as the originals.

7. Cheers,
    I'll have a good look at the Lever tonight after I get in from work. I'll take the ASV off and check it over. I'd be surprised in the QC on the ASV wasn't up to the job though, they are generally very well made and haven't been an issue since I bought the bike with them pre-fitted. But defo worth checking.

8. Have you got a slipper clutch?

I noted the spring stems, where the bolts go, on the inner basket all worked loose on mine and effectively raised the clutch pack. I noticed only when I removed clutch cover (OEM) and saw that the inside of the cover had been turned down. And the tops of the spring bolts and caps had milled themselves down. This is probably unlikely for yours but worth alook.

I'd check fluid too. Sometimes a fluid leak is obscured as it drips onto the front sprocket and mixes with chain lube. Ive replaced the seals on both my 916 and 1198. I did the 1198 after 18mnths from new! Its also worth replacing clutch fluid yearly.

check also where the clutch rod meets the pressure plate. see if the cap the rod goes into by the bearing hasnt become worn.

9. No slipper clutch, well not that I'm aware of :-/ Unless the 'S' came with them as STD or the previous owner fitted it, but they certainly didn't tell me about it.

The rubber seal surrounding the pin that the lever depresses into the master cylinder has been torn for a very long time - My understanding is that this seal is just a dust seal and although I should replace it as long as the thing is kept clean it shouldn't cause any problems.

As I said when you operate the clutch lever right at the very end of it's travel it clunks, like a giant nail clipper type feel and sound :) I'll take a look later and whilst I'm there I'll video with sound to show the problem.

10. sLIPPER CLUTCHES CAN MAKE A CLUNK. ALL MINE DO. THERE IS A SEAL WITHIN THE SLAVE WHICH CAN BE FAULTY. IT IS THIS ONE THAT LEAKS AND MIGHT REQUIRE CHANGING.

11. My 1098R does this too, I'd like to know how to sort it but I agree with bootsam, slipper clutches just do that

12. I didn't get in from work early enough to check the bike.

Lets just assume the bike has a slipper clutch, how come it's only now after 8 months of ownership that I'm only now having this clunk from the clutch lever. I can categorically rule out that I just haven't noticed it before, it's far to loud and obvious to not have noticed it before now.

13. I had chance to check the bike earlier and can 100% confirm that the piston / pin is jumping inside the ASV lever when under the pressure of depressing the lever. I don't know if it's wear & tear or if maybe there is something in the master cylinder that hold & guides the pin, and maybe that is worn out :-/

Having pumped the lever about 6 or so times the clunk seems to have virtually gone, but again the clunk was the pin slipping inside the seating of the ASV lever, I did use ACF50 on the lever after cleaning it so maybe it's penetrated and lubed up the pin where is sits in the lever.

The dust cover is slightly ripped so I want to replace that, looking at the master cylinder it appears that the dust cover is part of a bigger rubber seal that is bonded on pressed into the cylinder.

I guess I need an exploded view diagram of the master cylinder so that I can identify the seal I need to buy.

14. I need the seal pointed out here: (I'm guessing this is the same seal used on the gold/titainium coloured Brembo master cylinder)[​IMG]

15. I contacted 'Moto Rapido' today to see how much it would cost for the replacement seal and they promptly came back saying that neither Ducati or Brembo sell the part as a separate item!

They gave me the details of another company 'bike torque racing' who said they have the seal in stock however Brembo do not allow them to sell the parts to anyone! They must have the entire master cylinder to fit it for me!

Grief!

Has nobody else had to replace this dust seal? :-/

16. If it is just ripped then why not just glue it?

I did and it worked just fine.

I used a bit of superglue and a pin to apply it accurately.

17. It's chewed far too bad to try and glue. :-/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information