1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Pictures

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by ian899, Sep 20, 2014.

1. IMG_0156.JPG
    First a brief intro , having seen the classic German superbike's race at Spa this year I decided that this was going to be my next project .
    Having finished my Aprilia track day bike I vowed never to put my self through all that aggro again well , here we are .
    I managed to buy a de lugged and braced frame ,shocks and forks so we were off ,next an engine , body work and seat , hmm better buy a complete bike then .
    Bought a very clean CB 900 and really thought twice about breaking it , that was until I took a ride on it , what a heap of shite , my how bikes have come on in the last thirty years . I started work straight away to put the old timer out of his misery out with the spanners .
    After a month this is where we are at .
    Engine in with new stainless bolts
    Super Blackbird 17 inch front wheel
    Complete TL 1000R swing arm ,wheel and brake [ all work but may change yet]
    Seat is away being re covered in Alcantara or some poncy soft stuff , any the sample feels good
    That's about it for now, will be back in the garage at first light formore head scratching .

• Like Like x 6
  2. Cracking project - and that swing arm is just what I need for my 2nd KR1000 build with fat wheels, must look for one! Can you tell be its length from pivot to central adjustment point? - easier than making an original replica as the 1st KR will have.

What are you doing for chain alignment - on my Z1 I was able to machine back the sprocket carrier and run a mildly offset front sprocket with a 170 rear.

3. Not keen on the blue springs, otherwise it looks cock on.

4. I might not be using that back end [its a long story] so you could be in luck , I will do some measuring for you later. oh yes ! the sprocket , it needs 6mm spacing I had planned to get another sprocket machined down diameter reduced and
    welded on the back of sprocket , hope that makes sense .

5. Cheers, the width will be good at the front too if you get the message - what are you thinking of using instead?

6. Swing arm pivot to wheel spindle [mid way] 510mm Width at front is230mm
    I have had made , top hat spacers to fit std swing arm pivot , 8mm extra width at frame end and fit inside std TLwheel bearings .
    I have the chance of a Super Blackbird arm all ready to fit with shock mounts and CB 600 wheel its miles better than the TL one but A its a lot of money B I've spent a lot of brain power on the Suzuki one and its the complete back end so I know the brake etc will all fit and C its a full 6 inch wide wheel so a 190 tyre will help fill in the massive space these beasts have at the back end

7. Thanks, the length is cock on, I'll check the width.

8. Update after a busy weekend ,seat back from upholsters ,discs on ,new alloy catch tank and brackets fitted , wiring just about there and a dozen boring little jobs that needed to be finished .
    Oh nearly forgot swing arm fitted ,its a work of art , check out those shock linkages .

109.JPG

114.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. lovely

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Personal opinion but id say the back end (seat and rear) look to be out of proportion with the rest of the bike plus it sticks up in the air a bit too much....one of my personal pet hates about most streetfighters....ie...
    current.jpg
    Didn't have long to search for this pic....I know its a bit extreme but that's what it reminds me of...

Rest of the bike looks great though. The steetfighter above looks ridiculous...

11. I am liking that front stand, looks easy to use....anyone know anything about them,,,, any good,, stable enough ???????

12. TT The front stand is the biz its nice and stable [ its got to be used with the rear stand though]
    Before buying one check that you have a hole in the bottom yolk , my 1098 does not so I can't use it on him.
    I bought the stand at Newcastle Motorcycles . cost 70 quid with selection of inserts.
    I don't know if you do trackdays ,they are brilliant for tyre warmers
    Stay tuned, l will take some pictures at the weekend Ian

13. good man Ian.. although i can see that it can be used on its own,, my plan would be to park in it first and then put the rear one in place. will check out local bike shops see if anything available,, what is the brand name of that one,,,,,,,,,, no , don't do track days mate !!
    ps,, love your 900.. looking good.

14. I think it is more the camera angle and the high rear stand that gives a disproportionate view - would be good to see a side view with wheels on the floor :)

15. TT , ingnore my ramblings on the front stand , I was thinking of the one the bike 's on now .
    I was given the stand a few years ago , its dead stable , easy to use but weighs a ton

16. that's more what I want to hear,, something I can just drive into as I find the 749 a bit heavy to handle,,,, tho tbh I have not tried really much yet..

17. ( sorry to bomb your thread Ian ),, I had a look at a front stand in local bike shop today,, £ 70,,, looked good but not as good as your red one !!

18. TT , Had a look on my stand today its called a Bike Grab made by Quaser products tel 01872 61754 Happy hunting

19. Progress report on the Honda .
    Work left to do Smoothbore carbs ,fit rear caliper ,make exhaust bracket . And probably a thousand little jobs IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  20. Latest pic of my mates Laverda , this bad boy is costing silly money now .

IMG_0215.JPG

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information