1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Clatter(?) And Very Poor Power 900ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Sep 19, 2014.

1. My SS has never been particularly quick, granted. But today I really noticed how little acceleration power it has. Also when holding steady say 30mph there is *really* noticeable clatter and I don't know whether it's the valves or chain clatter. This noise has been evident quite some time to be honest, but more noticeable today as I didn't have earplugs as normal. Need your opinions and advice please.

2. Sounds like it needs the valve clearances doing.

3. Maybe contact Baines in silverstone or Cornerspeed just off J28 of the M1,bike doesn't sound too happy.

4. Can't help with the loss of power but I doubt the clatter you have would be from the valve train, more likely to be the backlash in the primary gears behind the clutch, my 748 does it and is nothing to worry about. Without hearing it though it's hard to say.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dodgy valve clearances can be manifested in hard starting.

6. `more likely to be the backlash in the primary gears behind the clutch, my 748 does it and is nothing to worry about`

Same here especially since I put an open clutch cover on, complements the clutch clatter nicely!

7. I thought that was how they all sounded!! I did here a story of a man running upto a chap on a SS at tragic lights and telling him his timing chain had come loss!!

8. &lumbux haha!

9. The valves get tighter when in need of re shimming, they would actually clatter less if anything.

10. lack of oomph and more "clattery" would likely point at carbs out of sync if all else easy has been checked.
    shagged air filter the same.
    no mention of coughing/misfiring but plugs etc as well.
    anything out of sync will make an engine struggle and produce more noise/complaints.

its trying to tell you something..

put some oil in the engine.. :Hilarious:

11. My 600ss clatters and its because of pistons
    Very common on 600's and if cured comes back again
    Literally like a bell ringing

12. It could be the hard facing has worn off the rocker arms,i had to replace a couple of mine.

13. This thread demonstrates, does it not, that its difficult diagnosing a noise over the 'tinterweb!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information