1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"ios8"? Anyone Upgraded Yet?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by El Toro, Sep 18, 2014.

1. and what's special/new about it?

2. takes up less space in your kitchen drawer, you know right at the back where all the other redundant stuff are put.

3. Its got Apple iFuk technology built into it. If you install it on a phone older than one version behind yours it considerately fills it up and slows it right down to remind you that you're either too poor or too tight to be hob nobbing with the happening people. I made that mistake with iOS7 on my gayphone 4. This will just give it a coronary if I say install!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you're going to do it, give it a couple of days..... Lots of problems with too many people trying at the moment...... It's only a software upgrade for goodness sake!

5. +1 to that. At least if you run windows you can roll it back, but if you run a mac you're stuffed...as I found out with ios7

6. Too many unresolved issues. Acknowledged problems with any fitness app and DropBox. Leaving well alone for now. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did it yesterday, no issues.

8. Did my I pad, no problems. Big changes to photos and how they are stored, seems to be less duplication than before. Not noticed anything else yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. workphone, my phone and 2 ipads all fine.
    Took awhile to download though. Is it worth it, no biggy from 7 really - favourite people on the top appear when creating a text is nice - apart from that no major difference.

Oh hold on - a billion "under the hood" tweaks or some other twaddle.....

10. Anyone done this to an iPhone 4 yet?. I remain in the technological cheapskate dark ages with a '4' and wonder if anyone has updated to this yet?

@gliddofglood..".?

11. To the best of my knowledge, iOS8 won't work on an iPhone 4. You need at least an iPhone 4S.
    Don't shoot me if I'm wrong. But I won't be trying to install it on my iPhone 4.

It's a bit of a pisser. I'm perfectly happy with the iPhone 4 and have no desire to spend money I don't have on another phone, but sadly, it looks like it's curtains for the 4. I suppose I'm going to have to get a 6.

Toss.

12. Upgraded my 4S and it works fine, no problems that I have noticed so far.

13. Left it to install overnight. Woke up to this.
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1

14. After the last big update this year (can't remember when exact) my iPhone 4 became really slow, it really became a pain in the ass. I buy my phones sim lock free and they last about 4years. So I'm typing this with my new 6.
    it's hard to let it go (the 4) the size was perfect and I need to adjust on the new one. O well it should not take too long.

Any way it's a lot faster

15. Yes iOS7 has made my iPhone 4 a bit slow. Not tragically slow, just annoyingly slow so even if iOS8 did work with it, in theory, I wouldn't install it.

Are the older chips really not up to the new software or does it include code to slow them down? Who knows, but I have my suspicions.

Apple's business is now as a manufacturer of iOS devices. If your products work happily for years you'll soon saturate your market. People don't need multiple phones so you have to make them change them regularly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. exactly what htc did/do.
    i bought their "new" tablet and 8 mths later they announced they were ending support for it and before the year was out it had gone from £400 to being worthless.
    it was a great tablet as well,never understood that.
    last htc product ive ever owned,never again will they get my money.

decided now all i need is a phone that phones and has a decent battery life:now got a "bluechip" biffs phone,big keys thing,cost me £8 delivered,brand new,works great and battery lasts a week nearly.

and its got a torch.... :Hilarious:

17. I'm holding off from installing it on my iPad as I just know it will find a way to stop talking to my 6 year old Mac mini

18. Non of us are getting any younger and I guess that applies to our gadgets also.

19. You made fatal error there, in fact, two fatal errors:

The first was to think that it was going to be worth anything at all. When you buy consumer goods, you have to write off the money in your head, or don't spend it. You don't actually need most of them, you just want them. Technology equipment has always been like this. Buy a device to use it over its useful life and use it as long as is practically possible. Only then change it.
    I see people adopting exactly the same strategy with their bikes: They buy the superest thing, then they don't dare use it (put miles on it) because it will adversely affect its resale value. This is clearly very stupid. If you're not going to use it, don't buy it. Very little point in not using it, selling it, and then spending £ thousands to buy another bike you don't use for fear of its dropping in value. Bonkers.

The second fatal error was to buy cheap. What governs the moment when the device has to be changed is speed. The software environment evolves over time and the device becomes slower and slower until you can't live with it any more. Then you change. If you buy cheap, you are buying slow, which simply means that you'll change it sooner. It's a completely false economy.

A girl came into the shop last week and wanted an iPhone 5c - now the bottom of the range - because it is colourful and cheaper. I tried to point out that it contained a chip, the A6, which is now two generations behind the curve, as the iPhone 6 has an A8 with the attendant movement processor. So she will inevitably have to change the phone 2 years earlier than if she buys an iPhone 6. Let it be pointed out at this stage that we make peanuts on these phones so I don't give a damn which, if any, phone she buys. But the advice is clearly, only buy the new phone. To do otherwise means spending most of the money of the cost of the iPhone 6, getting limited performance from the off, and then having to change it in a couple of years when the new future system won't work with it.
    You will also find that the iPhone 5c is now only available with 8 Go of memory which, in itself makes it almost useless as a smartphone. In fact buying one of these is anything but smart. Even the girl, who didn't want to listen to my sound advice (they often don't) could see that 8 Go of memory was completely insufficient. She wanted 16 Go, which is also fairly insufficient.

"Deals" in consumer electronics rarely are. The exception is hi-fi which you can keep for years and years and it will still sound pretty much as good as the day you bought it. In fact, it is better to find secondhand stuff which is being punted on by some fool who thinks he needs the most expensive latest thing, although you can barely hear the difference. My secondhand speakers are still superb after 20 years. New they cost about £5'000 and they almost certainly won't sound much different.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information