1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen 821 Sp Not On Hpi Register

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Jamie Skorczewski, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hi All,

I recently purchased a 821 SP online/over the phone with a dealer but the day after I got home I noticed evidence that it had been stolen. Contacted the dealer but he just sent me the HPI form to show there was no recorded history of theft. He's agreed to take it back now is trying to keep £1000 of my money.
    However, a ground off steering head (locking pin will not engage anymore), tampered with ignition barrel (minor but the evidence is there) and a vertical water mark on the Dash (must have been in sand as its also scored slightly) were enough to convince me it had been stolen and recovered at some point.
    Has anyone on this forum heard any weird and wonderful stolen/recovered stories about an 821 SP? I'm trying to find out what really happened to this bike while I'm still in a conflict state with the dealer with respect to getting my money back.

Cheers, Jamie

2. straight to police.

good chance it is still stolen and owner unaware of it still,if abroad/armed forces/in hospital etc.

might have been a track bike mind.

3. Just because somethin has been stolen doesn't mean It will show on hpi. Could of been recovered without being added on by ins co.

4. I did a HPI check as well and it came back clean and I had the V5 from the last owner too. Check with the Police in the area where the bike was last registered and that came back with nothing as well. So I'm quite sure the bike has been put up for sale legitimately but I'm also sure the dealer was aware of the physical evidence of it having been stolen/recovered at some point in its life before he sold it to me.
    The bike is back with him now and I have my trade in back but he still hasn't returned my money. I've read the consumer rights on this and I'm more confident now for any future discussions I need to have with him but its still a really awkward situation.
    He's claiming that the evidence doesn't show the bike was stolen and that I owe him for all of the 'inconvenience' caused!

5. Sounds sus to me. Go with your gut (which you have done) and stick to your guns. Could easily have been nicked and recovered without police or insurers knowing.... Especially if it's got something like a Biketrac fitted

6. Have you tried contacting the last owner and asking them about it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. What a turd!
    What about the inconvenience and stress he has caused you?
    He clearly knew about the damage on the bike (or should have) before selling it, no doubt he was hoping to sell it on and any new buyer would just suck it up.
    He has no right to hold your money!

8. Contact trading standards. Bike was misold. He wont fight it as itll cost more to do so, and if he looses it'll cost a fortune

9. yep do this^^^

might even be a debt reposession

10. Just to clarify it was sold over the phone? So youve never set foot on the premises? Distance selling reg will apply if youve never been.

11. Try standing outside the front door on a busy Saturday and telling all the customers they sell stolen bikes and he'll soon cough up!

12. d8mok: I did go to the shop to pick it up but it was just that..... quick ride to make sure it ran as expected and quick check around and then loaded it up. That's why I didn't notice the steering lock didn't work. It looked a little unloved but that's all. Thanks for the tip on the trading standards. I'm going to keep all these things up my sleeve until I've exhausted my diplomatic approach though.
    BrassFlute: I already know how I'm going to f*ck up his business if he tries it on. I know my rights much better though now and I'm quite happy to debate the subject with him before I have to try other methods of 'persuasion'.
    Nelson: He is a turd. After all the conversations I had with him about the damage I found out that he already put it back up for sale the day after I returned it to him.... and he's asking for £100 more than when he sold it to me?! Plus he still seems to expect that he's going to keep a grand of my money. He's got big stones.... I'll give him that!

On a lighter note, I think I've found a replacement going for sale at an official ducati dealer in west yorks. So maybe sometime soon in the next few weeks I'll have the bike I almost had 3 weeks ago!!

13. Where abouts is this dealer?

14. Edited for you

15. Or in Welsh - where toos the dealer but?

• Like Like x 2
  16. The dealer is in west Yorkshire but I don't want to destroy his reputation while I'm still trying to resolve this diplomatically.
    When the time is right I'll reveal all. ;)

17. Well it looks like its the end of the road for diplomacy :(
    The dealer is being completely unreasonable.
    I can say who it is now I suppose...... Its JEM SPEED SHOP in Batley, West Yorkshire. Quality Used Motorcycles in West Yorkshire - Jem Speed Shop
    I'll be trying to get trading standards on the case first thing in the morning.
    I can't figure out if the bloke running the place is just calling my bluff or not though?
    He keeps changing his story and contradicting himself..... I'm sure he didn't expect me to take up his offer and bring the bike all the way back from France the reverse the deal? When I accepted, that's when he started back-tracking and telling me he was keeping £1000 as compensation. Now I wander if he's actually going to pay up once trading standards get involved?
    Didn't like his tone though and he sounded a little threatening when he said "I know exactly what course of action I'm going to take"........ watch this space!!

18. I just don't get how he can say you are inconveniencing him? Oh yeah he is a C U next Tuesday!

19. If he's on Twitter or facebook might be worth adding a few comments on there. Get vosa involved too. That'll be a headache for him.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information