1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exemption From Mot Test

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Pete1950, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Hagerd. And WeaTherd?

2. That's me yer cheeky bastard! :D

#22 Exige, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  3. Vehicles first registered over 40 years ago (i.e. up to 1977) will be exempt from MoT testing in the future, the Government has just announced.

Currently, vehicles built or first registered before 1960 are already exempt from MoT testing. However, the Department for Transport has now agreed that any vehicle constructed or first registered over 40 years ago will now be exempt from an MoT on a rolling basis, following a successful consultation into reforming the roadworthiness test. The changes will come into effect from 20 May 2018.

By bringing the exemption date forward, the DfT stated it would also harmonise the MoT exemption date with the date for zero Vehicle Excise Duty.

Jesse Norman MP (the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for roads, local transport and devolution) said:

"After considering the responses, we have decided to exempt most vehicles over 40 years old from the requirement for annual roadworthiness testing. This means lighter vehicles (such as cars and motorcycles) and those larger vehicles such as buses which are not used commercially. Heavy Goods Vehicles and Public Service Vehicles falling under operator licensing regulations will remain within the scope of roadworthiness testing. This will ensure a proportionate approach to testing for older vehicles, which works for public safety and vehicle owners."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks Pete. That means my old VW Camper wont need an MOT. Which is handy coz it wouldnt pass one anyways. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I'm currently using my 1981 Honda xlr250r for my commute to work as the van has been in for repair for two weeks, looks like a few more years wait before I get away with no mot, might have to consider the 1960 Triton as it is tax and mot exempt.
    Steve

6. Brings your regs for 40 year old motorbikes into line with French regs for all (including new) bikes then, no road tax and no MOT.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. [​IMG]

yes, happy with that

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information