1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And So It Begins....

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by mcr998, Oct 20, 2014.

1. :upyeah: Fantastic I do love a good project

2. do you realise, Oscar Pistorius could be free by the time you've stripped the rust

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. There's an awful lot of nuts to change to stainless ones......

4. You read my mind AL

5. Are those forks are Marzocchis or Showa? Can't see the bottom properly.

Mind you, either way they will need serious attention, but new sliders can be obtained albeit expensive; plus there are places that will re-chrome, although they look too far gone for that.

If you get stuck, I have spare Marzocchis in good nick you can borrow temporarily.

6. The forks are Showa, same as my two. First thing I would do is hit it with a steam cleaner, get some gental heat into all the joints, then the next year soaking it with penatrating oil, lots of penatrating oil. When I picked my 400 up had to strip it down to get it in the car ( you can get a ducati in the back of a 208). I arrived at 06:30 and the bike was in the car by 07:30, stipped right down to an engine, frame and everything else chucked on top, but it had been stood in a garage for 10 years not outside, some people should be shoot. Can you read the frame number??

• Like Like x 1
  7. mcr998,

I too will say a prayer for you on this one. Like others mine was not too bad but it will be 3 years in Feb - but I am a lazy git.
    All the very best and can't wait to see some pictures. Will look out for your posts and will help if I can.

Cheers Gaz

8. Even I can....it's it the pics.....

9. Your eyes must be better than mine Al I can see ZDM, but its very rusty.

10. So the number on the riveted plate means nothing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I was waiting for that one :D had all on to stop replying myself!

12. Good spot AL. So what was behind the question if I could read the frame number Lumbux?

13. The reason for the question was as I said the frame number looks rusty, the plate by the air box is not the frame number as you can see from the photo of the plate on my frame. Your frame number should be no more than 001275 (mine is 000478). After 001275 the engines had a wet clutch. My 400 Junior doesn't even have a plate on the frame.

WP_001190.jpg

14. Ok looks like I have some work to do at the weekend. Watch this space.......

15. Space and time are at a premium at the weekend, so I'm only able to do little bits and pieces. At the moment I've been working on the tank so I get to see how much rust there is and to get the pump, filter, hoses out and see their condition.

But there are 3 grub screws still to be got out somehow.

16. mcr998,

Not sure what paperwork you have but I would try and get the full engine and chassis number including " stars" on the paperwork not just the last 6 digits.

When I bought mine and did an HPI check I got some weird reports back saying first there was some interest from an insurance company registered against it and then something about it being stolen. I ask them to investigate and it had been mixed up with a Renault Megane and a Kawasaki because only the last six digits "000000" were on the paperwork.

Might save confusion it the future.

Also search "900 SS build" some good stuff for de-rusting tank on there by STEW

Cheers Gaz

17. Whenever I take my SS for MOT, the tester can never find it on his computer system.........The DVLA have it as a 1997 750 Sport, not a 750 Supersport.........that's despite Ducati telling me the engine and frame numbers are correct and genuine for a 1997 Supersport.

But even then, the DVLA don't quote the full number for the frame or the engine.....just the digits.

HPI checks also come up as a 1997 Supersport, with the right numbers.

Looks like the DVLA were just downright lazy.

18. That particular area is a whole different can of worms in as much as I have none. The old dear who wanted shot of the bikes says they are her sons who has emigrated to the US and hasn't been back since. So there is some potential issues to overcome there as well

19. Well just looked at both my log books. Both bikes only say Ducati, no mention of modle, both only have 6 numbers for frame and engine, colour, engine size and that's about it for the bike, none of the frame plate numbers are on the log book, so what is the plate for?? Dose have number of seats on the 400's log book!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information