1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Upgrading From 999 To 1198

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Bananaman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. I'm going to look at an 1198 at the dealership tommorrow, think it might be time to get some extra power. Problem is I love the look of my 2003 mono 999 and the 1198 doesn't do it for me looks wise, a bit too much like a japanese bike.

The 999 lacks the scarey power thing with me now, but it handles great. I'm hoping the 1198 will be a lot more scarey and a bigger thrill factor. I could get used to the looks as long as the power of an 2010 model 1198 is a massive change from a 2003 999.

• Like Like x 1
  2. get an 1198 engine in the 999

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Forgive my invasive line of questioning but is it the one at Italia Moto?

4. Ducati Leeds have 2 for sale.

5. Downgrading to a Yamalike ;)

6. Snells just had one in @ £14K but it went pretty quickly. Luigi Moto have a lovely Xerox 999R (Cat D) for £10K

7. Buy the 1198. The torque will give you a hard on.

8. I looked in to doing this and the airbox is massive headache. There is a guy on ducati.ms doing one now

9. Dirty torque then...:p

10. Oh ye baby. You knows it.

11. John at Italia Moto said its the craziest thing he has ridden (1198s) and that I would notice the jump from my 1098 but alas I have not ridden one yet so can't really comment apart from the fact that my 1098 makes me grin from ear to ear. What a package of fun these bikes are.:D

12. (quote) Problem is I love the look of my 2003 mono 999 and the 1198 doesn't do it for me looks wise, a bit too much like a japanese bike.(quote)

You just hit the nail on the head, one of the reasons I haven't traded my 999S Mono for a later model was precisely because of this,i think (with the exception of the 899/1199 Pani's) that all that has followed the 749/999 series has been far too jap orientated,almost like the factory was swayed by the immature journo reaction at the time and have been trying too hard ever since ...I saw a 1098 approaching recently and I honestly thought it was a blade until it was level and I could hear that it clearly wasn't!!! ....stick with the 999 you could regret getting rid of it.

Umbrella at the ready for all the flack.............:D

13. Well I decided to keep the 999 another year, took it out for a blast around the Yorkshire Dales today and loved it. It might be 11 years old but as a £3000 trade in offer I will rather keep it as I just didn't get the right vibe for the £8500 1198. Might save up for a panigale, who knows what the prices will drop by once the new 1299 is released on 3rd Nov.

14. Save up for a 999r, far cooler than any of the later bikes. I should know, that's what I'm doing!

15. I am a year on from you, I decided it is defo time for a change not because the bike lacked anything I just wanted to move on. Is yours an S?

16. No it's not an S model, just a base mono 999 that is due a belt change & service so I suppose a £3000 trade in was reasonable. I'm going to the NEC motorcycle live event end of November, who knows maybe I change my mind when I look around the Ducati stand.

17. I had a 1198 in Australia for 2 years before coming back to Blighty a year ago. Now have a 999s and actually prefer it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I had a 999S swapped it for a 1098 in 2007 swapped that 3 months later for a 999R . Still got it .

19. 999r or even a sorted 749r is the only way to go

Do Not Sell My Personal Information