1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 New Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Richard 1200, Oct 22, 2014.

1. A slightly smaller barn door that go go 155mph.

2. It looks like they have finally given it mono bloc front calipers.
    I wonder if the rear brake is sorted out too.

3. bigger disc and a Diavel calliper

4. No. The Honda VTEC system of variable valve timing is "on or off", but the quite different Ducati (VW) system is variable by degrees.

5. If Ducati is to grow, as VW surely plans, it has to enter new market segments not just stick to the old ones. Offering shaft drive models in addition to chain drive versions has to be an essential part of this as some stage. The unsprung weight at the rear is greater with a shaft, obviously, which is not good for handling, but there are many advantages too and substantial market demand. Most major bike manufacturers make both.

Does anybody really want Ducati to deny itself access to such a big market segment for ever?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Is it though ?

There is no spring against which the pressure of the fluid is acting, therefore pressure will not regulate the degree of offset and I see no mechanism for metering the volume of fluid that goes into the thingumajig on the end of the camshaft, therefore to my eyes it looks like the thingumajig will be at either one end of it's range of movement or the other, it is either on or off.

Or am I missing something ?

7. Also disappointed with the lack of shaft drive and the apparent reluctance to ditch the frankly daft, single socket rear wheel attachment.

8. No, it will adjust in a certain range of values. Pressure will be regulated by a new mechanism, attached to the oil pump (that has grown by 70%, in fact), and all will be regulated by the ECU. I only hope it will have different option in the Riding mode, but it is really a huge step forward from Honda's Vtec, for example.

9. It's not a question of a spring. Oil pressure advances timing, and oil pressure also retards the timing. Each of the two oil feeds (for advancing and for retarding) is controlled separately, so each camshaft can be advanced or retarded by as many degrees as the ECU programme decides is required. It could be stopped halfway through its range, for example.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Having re read the Ducati website it does indeed say that there is an infinite variety of adjustment. I just don't see how pressure alone can do that so there must be something else going on to control it.

11. That now makes sense.

12. There must be an electronic sensor picking up a signal from each camshaft reporting its actual timing, so that its position can be compared to crankshaft position from moment to moment. Then the ECU must incorporate some form of cybernetic feedback so that the oil pressures can be adjusted further if required to get the timing right. Presumably there must be a default mode too, so that lack of a signal would cause reversion to a basic operating mode (rather than total failure).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Always interesting to see what those in the know think but, am I the only one wondering WTF? (in a uneducated rather than insulting way) at the the theories above?? o_O

I think I'll wait and see if 'it' works.....:upyeah:

14. The cam advance mechcanisms look very similar to ones in peugeots , renaults and other car engines ive seen , been out in cars for years so pretty much tried and tested , oil pressure fills the chambers and the pressure is bleed off by a oil control solenoid, driven by duty cycle variation from the pcm , some of the renaults can clatter from start up when the travel limiting pin shears in the cam wheel variators , but as a rule the system is pretty reliable .
    Alfa Romeo had a cam advance system donkeys years ago ....similar to how an old ignition distributor worked with the centrifugal bob weights

15. S
    Sit in the corner and do pay attention this time; "it's a Ducati". You want shaft drive, move on from here :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. So will it be at the NEC?

Reads like it will be:

Ducati will be displaying their model year 2015 line up at Motorcycle Live come along and see what is in store for 2015 including the Ducati Scrambler.

17. Reading their news letter, it says the new engine will be on display but no mention of the new Multi. But I think it depends what they reveal at the Milan show ?

18. Re: Offering shaft drive models in addition to chain drive versions has to be an essential part of this as some stage. The unsprung weight at the rear is greater with a shaft, obviously, which is not good for handling ....

Does anybody really want .... Ducati to make bikes that lurch all over the place when you open the throttle? People buy them because they handle. The Multi is the tallest bike I have ever owned - with the exception of a Laverda Jota I think - but also the best handling.

If you want a shaft-drive bike there are plenty to choose from. Move on from here please!

19. re: Yes the seat has an adjustable range,I believe starting as low as 805 mm, which is very low, upto about where it is now. Along with LED dipped and main beam lights, various accesorry packs to add to the basic model,so you can build your own. I understand a base price of £16000. So it's going to be a price increase from the current model.

Any idea where the PP model fits into all this?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information