1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kr1000 Replica Build...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Exige, May 15, 2013.

1. personally its a half ass job. you can buy hobbygas etc now so no expensive monthly accounts with BOC etc. plus you can use it for other things. if i was TIG welding this all that sticky tape etc will have to be cleaned off with acetone and then you'd have to jig it up again.

2. if you well experienced with mig machines you might be right, but if not then best keep it simple. one of those little gas bottles would be gone before he got his settings right !! , how much is a set of gauges / flow meter etc ?

3. I don't disagree - but you haven't seem my welding :Hilarious:

4. you maybe surprised at just how easy it is to put a spot tack, it literarily takes two seconds ,,in the trade mig is refered to as monkey wire,, and for a good reason ;)

5. I know it doesn't look like much progress from the last pictures but after a lot of head scratching Stage 1 is ready for welding and everything lines up!!! The second frame rail was a little bit of a challenge due to the asymmetric frame but I got there on the first attempt after a small test piece. I am quite pleased with the results so thought I would share more pictures anyway!!! :Happy:
    Stage 1 - 6.jpeg

Stage 1 - 5.jpeg

Stage 1 - 3.jpeg

Stage 1 - 7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. You should see the mess I made with mig...and didnt weld a thing togther just blew holes or left drops!

7. Fancy knocking me up an alli subframe?!

8. you need a screen ;)

9. More like made me scream!

10. I can only bend 1" and 1.25" over a set radius former, can't weld and no jigs so don't think I'd be of much use to be honest, as well as the time which is limited. If you were close by I would have gladly helped where I could Bradders, my welding skills are similar to yours by the sounds of it. Try Chad (rcv4) who will be welding my frame - I'm sure he's more qualified to help!

11. Too much time boobing around on here
    Come on crack on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. so your using T45 DOM tube and TIG welding it rather than 531 /631 reynolds and bronze welding it? any particular reason except for ease??? was planing mine out of reynolds and bronze...because i can but i have an ac/dc TIG set in the garage, coding to boot and a shit load of tube to play with.

13. No reason other than my research showed that XR69 replica frames are made from T45 (although they are bronze welded) as was Thrust 2 chassis - so seemed good enough to me. I didn't look in to Reynolds tubing to be honest. TIG is fine as long as it's welded properly, I know Egli changed from Bronze to TIG.
    If I make a complete replica frame in future I may have it Bronze welded purely because it looks the dogs bollocks in the raw.
    What additional benefits do you think the Reynolds tube will give? Not sure of the costs but my last purchase T45 1.250" / circa 2mm wall was only £12 per metre.

14. Bronze welded T45 XR69 frame:

blue_xr69_084.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. after reading and then chatting to the guys at reynolds the advantages are weight and strength..but at some cost. they didn't tell me the price and i didn't ask! T45 will do for me, i can TIG and i have all the gear...but i love the look of the bronze and would love to leave the frame with just a coat of light oil. My only niggle is that TIG has alot more heat in it then a gentle flame and the method of welding has a bigger HAZ, heat affected zone, to which the metal can change is properties and needs stress relief. Unlike reynolds tubing Reynolds Technology

16. Exige that XR frame is beautiful

• Like Like x 1
  17. That's a Work of art Exige.

18. T45 doesn't need stress relieving either from my research - one of the reasons I chose it too.

19. It is, if I hadn't have used the stock cradle and head stock I would have gone that route too. I will make a true replica KR frame after the 2 I'm building and have it bronze welded. It would be a shame to paint it though don't you think? It needs lacquering only!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nah, paint it gold.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information