1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Choices

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cake, Oct 28, 2014.

1. So I have just purchased a hypermotard 796 and tyres are pretty much due a change and prefer to do it before I'm out on dead tyres and lose confidence in the bike before I start.

Now prices vary quite a bit and all I am after are decent tyres for the road - no need for ultimate track grade.

Any I should stay away from or any I should buy without a second thought?

Options are -

Continental motion -£130
    Pirelli Diablo - £140
    Michelin pilot road - £160
    Continental road attack - £160
    Bridgestone battlax - £160
    Pirelli angel st - £170
    Continental road attack 2 - £185
    Pirelli Diablo rossi ii - £190

2. Metzeler m7 rr fantastic tyre , all season tyre would not use anything else

3. Agreed. Done just over 2000 miles on a set of m7rr's on my SF. Can't fault them in any way. I'm hoping to get at least another 1000 miles out of the rear. Unless there's a drastic deterioration in performance before I get to the wear bars I'll certainly be replacing them with more of the same.
    They are offering markedly better grip and feel than the previous Pirelli Diablo Rossis did at the same stage in their life. And they are vastly better when the going gets damp and slippy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Than you both.

Some great reviews on the m7rr's - in all honesty I hadn't heard of the brand and didn't consider them.

From a quick look a pair can be purchased for £225.

Is anything I have above worth having or am I off the ball with them?

5. If you're considering Pirelli Angels and Michelin Pilots you could take a look at Metzeler Z8s as well. They're in the same vein. I had them on my Triumph and really liked them. For the Streetfighter I prefer the more aggressive profile of the m7rrs, they tip in more sharply and they're slightly stickier, but you'll get better mileage out of the more leisurely turning Z8s and more grip than you'll probably ever use wet or dry. Both the Metzelers are quick warmers too.

6. Pilot roads are amazing in all weathers, especially wet cold stuff. Got at least 7000 out of a rear on my road bike tl1000 too.

7. Pilot roads could be an option then - especially with the price

8. From this forum I've heard the pilot road 4s don't last as long as the 3s which is what I've used. But honestly, power wheelies and rolling stoppies through standing water, long life and enough dry grip for full throttle knee down from 2nd gear upwards on my TL. If you ride all year, I personally feel they're the best current road tyre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Conti good as a road tyre !!

10. My opinion from testing anbdmy customers feedback.....
    1st. Much rd4, quick turn in, long life and all weather grip, commuter having fun.
    2nd. Metzeler m7rr, quicker turn in - sportier feel, great wet grip, less life than above
    3rd. Pirelli angel GT, high level wet grip, neutral turn in, commuter friend for all year round
    4th. Rossi 2, light tyre than above, less centrifugal force acting on handling
    5th. conti sport attack 2 ego, light agile tyre, cheaper than most
    6th. Avon storm 3dx-m, great wet grip on a pocket happy price, commutor\sporty package
    7th. Bridge stone bt023, tried and tested neutral handler
    8th. Keep eye for new bridge stone t30 evo, improved mileage sporty feeling tyre
    All above deliver ample grip when required and keep most level riders sunny side up!!

My opinion but other may disagree, hope this helps you decide on what your preferences are

Thx

Do Not Sell My Personal Information