1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension Changes?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 1037sps, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Well hello. I'm planning a supermono build using an SS chassis. Handling is a high priority so has anyone done any suspension swaps that could offer advice. Complete front/rear end change ideas would be ideal.
    Thx folks.

2. I'm impressed with my Maxton shock. Just having my forks reworked by them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. R&T's on the front, maxton/ohlins custom built on the back. Lots of frame bracing around headstock area, alloy braced swingarm on the back

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Cranker, I have heard about head stocks cracking. Would you weld support in, or use the bolt on brace type of item?

5. The problem with the headstock cracking is apparently caused by the tank catch web plate being butt welded to the frame tubes.....where the wider part of that plate fits against the tubes either side are pressure points causing the frame to crack.

If welded reinforcement is added, it is better to lap weld plates to the tubes, ie; lay a reinforcement plate on the tubes.

The bolt on brace in some ways is significantly easier to use, because A) It doesn't apply any force to the frame which could crack the tubes; B) It can be removed easily so it isn't in the way; C) Easier to fit, so no welding and heating of the frame is necessary; D) No modding required to clip the tank in place.

AL.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. i put a complete GSXR k6/7 600/750 front end on and love it! no machining required so it's pretty simple. the bike also has a nitron shock and rides better than i can, and also feels different each time a setting is moved a click so must be working!

i've a thread here:
    Updating A 92 900ss.... Badly! | Ducati Forum

but details are:
    There are 3 key changes

1. 2 head bearings:
    Simply Bearings Ltd
    52K/30KW Narrow Section Steering Head Set Taper Roller Bearing 30x52x16mm £17.95 each

2. Bump stops, i bought 2 rubber reservoir holders from a suspension site.
    Mounting Hardware
    Fox remote reservoir rubber mounting block £4.01 each

3. Drop the triple clamps down the forks. The GSXR forks are a few cm too long but there is enough adjustment available on the fork body.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. This is all useful stuff. Great info this.
    Keep it coming.

8. and a photo... :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. That seems to work really well. Is the subframe strong enough like that, cos i was thinking of doing the same.
    Of course all this is just talk right now. Missed out on a cheap donor bike but have been offered a cheap 1098 motor which would be nice for the project. If i can sort out fitting a double sided swingarm to it. All problems I wanna work out before getting too deep into it.

10. yep subframe is fine. the super light seat rubbers locate on or just forward of the triangulated bits..... you could cut more off if you didn't use the standard breather bottles :)

11. Well the 1098 engine I've been offered might be a bit of a problem with an SS chassis.
    My idea really needs a conventional swingarm so some maths are in order to see what will fit with what. Then a hammer needed for the final assembly.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information