1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Advice Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Preferences depend on how deep your pockets are or should that be how much the missus will let you spend lol.

998R ,998S Bayliss or Bostrom rep,998S,996R,996SPS,916SPS,916SP will cost more to purchase and tend to hold or gain value unless you buy a zero miles example and use it.

916 original fetch good money and senna editions more.

998BP nice bikes or for a bit less 996BP.Both can be had for lower prices and seem to hold there value now if looked after with good service history.

#41 matt#corse, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. looks like a lot of bike for money.

3. looks like a lot of stickers for the money :Woot:

4. Think the last owner liked Panini sticker albums as a kid?

5. can i see titanium cans on it? or are they just yet another stickers?
    if it is titanium system then buy it,mate

6. How would I tell?

7. Crash it. If it sparks like crazy it's titanium.
    Sorry, I'm not helping much am I?
    I'll get me coat.

8. Looks like it has a 50mm intermediate pipe fitted, so it looks like it could be a 996s!

9. Ive seen 998BP for that money so would consider that also.996S fetch a bit more than 996BP and that bike has ohlins rear shock which is miles better than the showa one.

The 996S is no 916/996 SPS though despite the hype.

Prices seem high at the mo probably as not much out there during winter.

£1000 more than above late 996 but id make offer and see what happens.

DUCATI 998 RED | eBay

10. True it's no sps, but with a power commander and well setup it should be good for circa 130 bhp.
    I have a 2002 996s and it pulls like a train and the power commander cures the 4500rpm hiccup

• Like Like x 1
  11. But re-reading your post Matt, I would rather have a 998bp than a 996s, just for the ease of servicing

12. On the plus side 996S seem to hold money well and usually fetch more than 996BP if OP is bothered by resale values etc.

Then again some might say £500 -£1000 more for a 998 buys you more piece of mind regarding rocker wear and more refined smoother power delivery.I like the old desmoquattro but I bet if some of the newer ducati riders got on it they might find it a bit agricultural feeling.

OP test a 996 and 998 and see what floats your boat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Have you seen where that 998 is? 600 mile round trip for me. 998's seem in a little short supply.

According to wiki they all changed to Ohlins in 2001.
    Ducati 996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may get me kicked of the site but i'm not massively fussed over a 916/996/998 BP or S or whatever. Maybe after living with one for a few years I will become more discerning but right now I just want a red one.

Did the S come with a pillion seat as I think I can see bolt holes for the pillion pegs.

Matt, do you think prices are high now? Would you expect them to come down after Christmas? I was thinking they would be cheaper now with shops trying to get their stocks down and people not wanting to store them for another 6 months till spring.

• Like Like x 1
  14. After owning a 748 a 996bp and a 996s + 3 999's always try to get the best start for your bike... Otherwise after 5 mins you'll be on eBay buying Öhlins and 50mm systems and throwing cash out of the window.

The 996s is a great bike and Sps power for not a lot of money. Similar motor, just different( slower) ecu, P6 rather than the P8.

And were available in single and twin seat

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Yeah some times you have to travel for the right bike.Think I went 3 1/2 hours each way to pick up my first duke a 1998 996BP.600 mile round trip is a lot so maybe get someone nearer on forum to view it as lots of helpful people on here.

I see prices sometimes taking the piss during winter as not so much being advertised.In fact very little at the mo on ebay 998 wise and not a lot of 996 bikes either.In the spring /summer there seems a lot more to choose from so more competitive pricing maybe.Then again winter bargains still come up.

If you just want a bike and not bothered by spec go for a 98/99 Ducati 996BP.I would have thought this bike can be had for £3,000 - £4,000 depending on condition and service history.

There is a thread already on here regarding 916/996 SPS and 996S differences.All nice bikes and think maybe Bradders on this forum has ridden both.

16. When I bought my SPS I did everything wrong, by all the advice I've given and received. I spent 6 months watching it on the web, and then did a 200 mile round trip and still didn't even get to ride it, mind you it was raining stair rods that day, but that didn't matter when I saw t in the flesh.

17. IMO for a late, low mileage 996, £4800 is currently a good price. If it is a better model than a Biposta all the better but still make an offer if you are a cash buyer. Everyone on this forum has a favourite from the early 851 right the way through to the 998FE and they will all tell you their's is best. If you can, ride a few to see which you prefer but remember very few will have been professionally set up which transforms the riding experience so whatever you choose it can be made better. Good luck. Andy

18. Guys, you are all full of great advice and I really do value it.

My thoughts on prices is that the seller is normally hoping to get about 5% but would except 10% less than the asking price. Thoughts? How accurate the asking price is though is another matter entirely.

Does anyone know the story behind the Hodgson HM Plant reps I have seen. I assume it was just certain shops doing their own custom paint jobs and throwing a bit of carbon at them.

I'm beginning to think I may be better off waiting till spring. I assumed prices would be better this time of year.

19. In the past I've bought bikes around october/november time, done nothing to them, then sold them april/may for £500 more. Better interest than a bank would give me.
    The ball's always in the buyers court in winter, especially at a dealers. I paid £6600 for my SPS that was up for £9K. Long story but snow on the ground and cash in your pocket is a winner every time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information