1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nicky Wilson Ducati 899 Trioptions Cup - Ducati Forum Crowd Sourced Sponsorship!

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Rob, May 11, 2014.

1. Everyone's been a bit quiet recently! I'm taking the engine out of the bike this weekend ahead of it's winter rebuild. You chaps got anything major works scheduled on yours?

2. Hopefully no engine work, was rebuilt beginning of year and only done 9 easy days with me riding !-)
    Just bought a carbon dymag front wheel & some mwr filters though

• Like Like x 1
  3. What slipper you running in yours Nicky ?,having a STM fitted in mine,any issues ?,when you have your engine refreshed are you changing the crank to the revise 2015 crank ? if so what are the differences,cheers

#263 simmytt, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  4. I use a Sigma. No experience of an STM.
    Not aware of any crank changes but there is a con rod update.

5. You going to change the con rods in yours ? or is that classified , i think the revised crank is heavier,rods remain unchanged.(not fact just what i was told)

6. Sigma all the way

• Like Like x 1
  7. Been a few issues with the Sigma 899 slipper,they may well have been converted 848 ones that were used before the official ones were released.

8. Yes, my engine is on route to Snells today to have the con rods changed. We haven't had any issues (like some) but it's best to be safe. I've not heard of a revised crank. Where did you hear that rumor?
    My Sigma was spot on all year - Spalder's knows what he's doing... :)

9. Not a rumour part numbers are different for 2015 crank,i was just wondering if you knew the difference as you were having your engine refreshed,carrillo rods going in yours ?

10. Needs to stay legal remember, only so much you can do...unless you want it to go POP

11. Only Ducati parts going in mine as per the regs! Can't afford an engine to go bang!:Greedy:

• Like Like x 1
  12. @simmytt so have you registered yet?

13. Yep i am in , they do run a novice group dont they ?,my old rims will be on the grid is that good enough.

14. One thing you notice when stripping down the 899 is just how ridiculously heavy some of the parts are. Its great bike but in trying to reduce cost and force a differential between the 1199 and the 899 in terms of status, these parts are cheap, heavy and nasty.

Such a shame as the handling of the bike would be so much better if it had some lighter parts. I'll list some of the individual weights at some point but to give you and idea the wheels are ~ 10kgs a pair heavier than the standard wheels were on my 675 daytona. The rear seat frame is made from steel and ~ 7kgs!

15. I could not believe the weight of the back wheel,light weight rims were top of my want list,i went for oz rims just waiting on the rear one to arrive and i will weigh them both, pierobon should release the road version of there rear subframe as they are not bad value for the weight saved.Its a shame dp dont do a light weight wheel you can run in the series,are you allowed to change the rear subframe ?.I changed the gearing on my bike,2 up on the rear but find it a bit much as it makes me hit the limiter a lot,i know you must change the gearing for every track but what would say would be the best all round option.

16. One thing that does put me off is getting an 899, it knowing that the bike's actually heavier than an 1199. But knowing that so much weight can be ditched so easily must be a good thing??

I've got an alloy sub-frame to go on the 848 over the winter, add a lithium battery to add to that, and they add up to quite a saving...

17. Don't waste your money on light wheels or rear sub-frames - they are not legal. Well, at least until they revise the regulations to say so.

18. Simmytt doing options too eh? Good luck matey, its a quickish grid

Check those rules fella :upyeah:

19. I'd love to go to town with lightening things but the regs won't let me. they need to control costs - the whole point of a one make series as well as marketing the 'out of box' potential of the bike.

I did some rough workings on power/tonne for interest sake:

Standard road 899 = 857 BHP/tonne
    Our Cup bikes (are max 12kg lighter) = 945 BHP/tonne
    I reckon without much effort (but perhaps a lot of ££) you could lose another 10kgs = 1006 BHP/tonne

By comparison a standard 1199 with 171 BHP and at 164kgs = 1042 BHP/tonne

What would be more interesting is to do a cost comparison of the price of an 1199 vs a light weight 899. I think overall the 1199 will still be cheaper, if not as trick!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information