1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Trouble

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by David Hales, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ok a potential buyer asked about the tank being loose, hadn't even thought about it, never noticed it untill he mentioned it, there is about 5-10mm of play at the front of the tank, looking through the receipts it looks like it has been replaced once, is the movement I have normal or do I need to find out if they still replace them?

2. will they still replace tanks???? the problem appears to be more in usa due to high ethanol levels in their fuel,im not sure how high our levels are YET though. iv read that if the tank is removed, dried out and left for like six months it reverts back to normal ( this may be crap ).no movement in my 1000s though.

edit to add....just went and checked,no movement. is your tank fitted correctly?

3. Cheers for the info, like I said mine has a little bit of movement, but not mutch

4. Unfortunately there is a whole lot of folklore attached to the swelling plastic tank problem as the main culprit is water however it comes to be adjacent to a plastic tank made from PA6 or similar. It could be via use of ethanol but in the UK it's just as likely to come from moisture due to standing etc.

5. Chris you recall the swelling tank issue on my Trumpet?
    I did manage to get the holes lined up enough to enable me to fix the tank in its intended position with the judicial use of a car jack to compress it back into shape enough to get the bolts back in. Do you think if I emptied the tank, and left it empty for a long time ,it might regain its shape?
    You have probably been over this before with me,but I can't remember what you said!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I am thoroughly glad to have your company on my trip to the Dementium summit John, you, at the time had researched this more than me and (again, open to opinion as not first hand) 'it is said' that if you were to put tank in a dry, warm-to-hot enclosure for say 6 months, it will gradually shrink down to its original size.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Oh dear, I am getting worse. Yes, I remember now, just needed a nudge. Thank you.

btw I had the bleeding tank off again last week to change the plugs as I think I told you, had to get the car jack and various blocks of timber out again, put everything back, all good except for I have realized I forgot to put 2 airbox retaining screws back ffs. Mind you the airbox isn't going anywhere as it's firmly located by the tank.

#7 CRYSTALJOHN, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. Re: replacing your tank as a warranty issue, I think had you been a USA resident this may have been an option from the manufacturer but think you might struggle here. I hate to say this, but if we were talking about a recent/current Triumph motorcycle I don't think there would be any hesitation in replacing the tank if it was loose and not capable of being tightened/fixed sincerely.

9. Stick a couple of washers under the cups that hold the tank in place. That's basically the fix Ducati did prior to replacing tanks (before they all did exactly the same again). Mine is solid as a rock now

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information