1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec Today Conti Sport Attack 2's

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by farmster, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Talking to a instructor today from the California superbike school told me the best kept secret in the game !!!
    Running them on both the 899 & 1199
    Reckons the only way he can go faster is on Slicks !!!

I've been running the variants for 3 years now & they are a fantastic tyre ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I hope they're better than the original Conti Sport Attacks....had a set of them on a newish Blade, had the worst stepped profile on the front tyre after only around a thousand miles and they didn't wear well at all!

Promised myself never to have Conti's again!

3. he probably has to say that....

they won't be as good as Supercorsa's (or racetec's) or Dunlop D(whatever number they are up to these days!)

4. I used one of their Monsters whilst waiting for some parts for the Panigale at the Ducati trackday and must admit that the tyres did work very well. I've also done several days at the Ron Haslam school on Fireblades using similar 'street' tyres which are equally effective. The days of needing high spec tyres for hard riding are certainly over, most decent street tyres are plenty good enough for track.

5. I can say IMHO
    They are better that Supercorsas
    Ive never known tyres (step) as bad as a Bsb S/Corsa front !
    And I've destroyed a set in 1100 miles on the road on my first 1098.

Think about it they could have any tyres they like ..... Ie all the manufactures would like the exposure surely ???

6. Can't say I agree there mate. They come to an arrangement with the company for a decent price, I'm sure they are not all bashing their door down as it's not huge advertising for the tyre company. I was very impressed with the tyres but the Supercorsas I normally run are way better (they seem to like lower pressures to be at their best; ~<32psi )

7. I came across them when I bought a S1000rr
    They were factory fitment
    And they work well in the wet & the damp. Were S/corsas don't. Lol

8. When I bought my SF it had S/Corsas fitted. There was plenty of tread left on the front but horrendous stepping. It felt horrible, especially on right handers, like the front was being pulled out from under me. I couldn't work out what the previous owner had been up to, riding around on flat tyres or doing hundreds of laps of his favourite roundabout. But reading this, maybe he just had the wrong tyres. Admittedly the suspension set-up was far from ideal but before I had that sorted I binned the Corsas and went for some M7RRs and haven't looked back. The rear Corsa was still in tread but fairly squared and it used to spin up for a pastime on a dry shiny road. Went out for a ride with some mates when I first had the bike and I thought the clutch was slipping. The RR rear is now approaching the same level of wear (though no squaring) and its got a grip like a horses bite.

9. I bought bt30s for my 748 based on a write up in mcn on the Ron Haslem school... His opinion was they where the fastest warming up, longest lasting , grippyist? street tyres out there... and laps 1 second off what he does on slicks.... true? false? I will never know! nor will i probably ever know exactly what my tyre is doing or be able to push it past its limits.
    I agree with royal that modern sport/sport touring tyres are fantastic.
    Recommended by Ron or California superbike clearly does sell tyres (well one set at least)
    Im sure they do a deal with the best priced and reliable supplier... it would be lunacy not to but i also think they must have a pretty fucken good knowledge of whats good and bad. As you may have gathered i dont know a great deal about rubber which is why ive not offered my opinion on the bridge-stones.. (that and ive only done 185 miles on em) but i do know that soooo many factors are involved.. Bike weight/set up/type of riding/roads/road surfaces/temperature/il4/v4/v2/riding style/rider weight/ and loads more that you all can think of.. So to imagine there is one tyre that can take all this into account or that the one that you like is far superior to others (based on your factors) is crazy... Its not crazy though to ride on what you personally feel comfortable with and what inspires confidence.
    That said, what are the best tyres for a 13 stone, 5'6 rider on a 99 748 bp with ohlins rear and showa with front who lives in southall... Hope its the bt's

10. The only variable you've left out of your assessment, Chizel, is psychology. Modern sports touring tyres are as good as road going motorcycle tyres have ever been, and many are better than the track tyres of only a few years ago, but they're not all the same and some will suit your bike and style of riding better than others. I'm no rubber expert either but I know that if you have no faith in a tyre then no matter how good it is technically it will be useless on your bike. If you have a heart-stopper on a particular piece of rubber, especially one you haven't tried before, you never forget it and you might be forever prejudiced against that tyre or even the entire brand even if the incident was your own fault. This is particularly true when buying a second hand bike fitted with part worn tyres which have been imprinted with someone else's riding.
    Other people's experiences of an unfamiliar hoop are a useful guide, particularly when it comes to tyre life, but for the full picture you have to try them for yourself and that means treating them as an unknown quantity and getting to know them, not charging straight in with your fingers crossed as if your were still on your old tyres and hoping the new ones won't be too much different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. the OP states that the instructor said the only tyres he could go faster on were slicks, so we are obviously talking about on track performance NOT road.

these tyres WILL NOT be better than dedicated track tyres (Supercorsa's, Racetecs, Dwhatever) on a track so he is talking PR b*llox

they may well be better than supercorsa on the road, in the wet or for mileage....but that's not what he said!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information