1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hid Projectors

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by johnny, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Yes. I have just fitted one to mine. I intend to fit one to the spare headlight too, just got to order it off ebay.

2. Hi Bob, where was your thread please? Do they have the moving cut out?

3. I wrote about it in post #28 in the thread "ST2 headlights". Unfortunately my camera packed up and all the photos were lost, but the job is fairly simple. I fitted a HID kit as well as the dip/main projector. The dip/main projector has a solenoid that flips the cut off plate out of the way when it is connected to the main beam supply, so that the bulb, halogen or HID, acts as both dip and main.

4. I remember your avitar Bob, Must of scanned for the pictures and missed them. I am tempted to do the mod and ruin both lights at the same time, removing the OEM cut off

5. If you need help then feel free to ask, I can whip the fairings off and take photos with the wifes camera.
    If you fit HID kits to both projectors then you will need to find room for two ballasts rather than one so make sure you get the HID kits with small ballasts.
    The Avatar is my other passion, a three dimensional motorbike.

6. Cheers Bob, HID are already in and have been for 3 years now. I like the idea of running both side high and low all the time!

7. Just pinged a Ebay seller in china and his does not have the cut of so be warned, they don't all have them.

8. If it is described as a bi-xenon projector then is is both dip and main - that is what the "bi" means. Perhaps he did not have a cut off to dip to the left as needed for the UK.

9. OK looks like the H3 Projector is going to be tough to get !

10. With the price of HID bulbs and ballasts these days, it's worth having a spare of each in the garage. The latest ballasts are quite small and may be worth fitting if you have one of the older large ones.
    Not sure that I would fit a projector into the main beam part of the headlight as the lens is patterned and therefore would distort the projector beam.

11. Well, I actually got a slim ballast too and stuck it in the dipped beam over the weekend.

Not had a chance to test it yet, as I'm at home with a new wee nipper, but should get out this evening.

Hard to believe how far the tech has come one compared to even a few years ago. It was a job to find somewhere to secure the ballast. Now, it's smaller than a Power Commander.

A

12. You will be amazed with the difference. Your next step should be a bi-xenon projector to improve the main beam, a great mod for £15.

13. [Fr Dougal Mode] OK Ted, you'll have to explain that a bit more [/Fr Dougal Mode]

14. A Bi-xenon projector has a solenoid operated screen that moves out of the way of the HID bulb to give you a main beam from the same HID bulb. Have a look at my blog in my signature for a better explanation and some pictures.

15. Ah-a!

Right, gotcha.

We'll see how we get on with the current set up first.

I found that the aiming adjustment was pretty poor on my bike and fairly narrow in range meaning that it was tough to get the beam where I wanted it. Hopefully the HID will give a better useable spread and solve that

16. Right so, got out for a spin last night with sub-zero temperatures.

This was strangely appropriate as the icy blue light that emerged from my new HID set up was dazzling, so much so that I will have to reverse a mod that I had made previously to try to improve the light, namely removing the dipped beam shade.

This mod had improved things when using good quality bulbs, but still didn't achieve a decent beam.

Anyway, happy days and it'll soon be sorted for a decent amount of light.

A

17. If you have removed the dip beam shade out of the projector then you don't have a dip beam but a main beam! That shade is needed for a HID as without it it tends to send oncoming drivers to visit their doctor, beside being illegal in most countries (I don't know where you live) due to not having a cutoff.
    The colour of the light is dependant on the bulb that you have chosen to use, a 4300k is about as white as you will get. Below that number it will get more yellow and above that more blue.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information