1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Sport Classics Are Being Ruined By This Bloke?

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by Moo!, Dec 14, 2014.

1. The S is the rarest of the lot though iirc, bar the biposto. The mono, biposto and gt1000 can all be made comfortable relatively easy. You don't buy a cafe racer to be comfortable anyway, get yourself a Harley or adventure bike. It's like complaining about a fireblades clip ons

2. I had the GT1000 and toured on it.Lovely bike.

3. My 1957 Rocker boys Triton,a real Cafe Racer,is far superior in comfort to a Sport Classic S.

4. You can raise the clip ons by removing the spacer that holds them down from the top yoke.
    I haven't bothered the only change I made to improve comfort was fitting a bigger clutch slave.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Except a blade with clip ons is comfortable DOH

• Like Like x 1
  6. They were dirt cheap a few years ago. I was offered one for £1500, then the prices suddenly shot through the roof. If I'd known that was gonna happen I would have bought it even though it was shite to look at and to ride.

7. But you didn't, so you don't know what your talking about, I bought mine new, don't care about the prices or the comfort thing but it's a great road bike and I love mine, and it handles very well as a road bike. I'm also able to use it to a greater extent than any 'sport bike' model that's been on sale for a long time, most of the buyers are buying into image even more than the Sportclassic range were and most of those will be completely unable to use most of the performance of those sportbikes on any public road.
    The air cooled SS range ending in the 1000 were pretty much ideal road bikes, the Sportclassic range is a retro styled extension of these, I do wish Ducati had persisted with the SS range but new regulations seem to have made that more difficult , which is a shame as the ds1000 motor is pretty much the ideal road engine, after that the chase for power made the 916(which I owned myself) and its subsequent iterations increasingly irrelevant as practical road bikes. Ducati and it's competitors have lost the plot chasing race derived bikes that are increasingly irrelelevant to anything that's classed as more than just a toy for occasional sneaky bad boy moments rather than some thing to be enjoyed in a wider way

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. What a wildly inaccurate statement :Wideyed:

9. Oh dear, touch a nerve did I..?

The fact I owned a DS-engined bike with better suspension and a much better riding position at the time obviously doesn't count in your eyes. The Classics didn't sell cos they were overpriced and underdesigned, even the butt ugly Multistrada massively outsold it. As for 'ideal road engine', I assume you never took yours near a built-up area, they're absolute pigs in town. The ST2 engine was far smoother, never mind countless other manufacturers' offerings.

If you want to go all misty-eyed over your old bike then go right ahead, no-one's stopping you. But it doesn't mean we all have to see it the same way. I thought I was a devout v-twin man til I bought the Blackbird - now that's a road engine...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Not really, you're just bullshitting about something you've never owned or ridden, the DS100 engine is the best road engine Ducati have made in my opinion whatever bike its in, shame it's been regulated out of production.
    Re gearing it will fix any issues around town, but that's true of any Ducati bike as well.

Stick with your blackbird then, blandness personified.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I have ridden them though.

12. Is that the learner engine?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. iv a sc1000s and love it,the bike isn't standard just as most bikes iv owned. im finding I can ride this bike better than even my 1098s,in fact it is faster on country roads up to about 110mph. town riding is not a problem as I can even ride at thirty in third gear ( not that I do though ) I think if manufacturers would build real world bikes we would see v4s with top suspension and built to fit normal humans, though the ds1000 with top suspension comes close.
    I don't care if the value of my bike drops,i bought it for long term enjoyment not an investment. iv owned vfrs rc30s sp1s 1098s etc etc and I may be getting old but I really really get this bike.
    just enjoy what you enjoy!

14. Ah - in regard to these sorts of matters my Da used to say "Son, you can't polish a turd"

I must ring him to tell him apparently you can! But all you get is a shiney piece of shit!

Apologies to any SC owners - but they is fugly!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Well really!

i am amazed by two differing responses from the forum.

1) SC owners who seem positively personally offended that their bikes are selling for so much money. You would think they would be pleased that the SC has appreciated so much and that the buying public values them so highly. I wonder if owners of Van Gogh's paintings are incandescent with rage when they see auction prices for his works going up and up?

2) Non SC owners who take time out of their busy lives to come into the Sport Classic forum to tell it's owners how shit they are ( and by inference how SC owners are mugs). Why on earth would anyone want to offend people so freely and for what purpose?

For what it's worth my two year ownership of an SC Mono was a joy - could for both town and the open road and it looked bloody great (albeit a little chubby in places ). It was by far the best "Retro" pissing over both the Thruxton and the Moto Guzzi V7 with their laughable power outputs and cheap and nasty suspension / brakes and general geometry. I only sold because I wanted to do some serious mileage and didn't think the SC's shiny bits would withstand it.

Nowt so queer as folk!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Because the world is full of gobby tossers, some of them happen to have (or had) a Ducati motorcycle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. "Take time out of their busy lives"

It's not as if it's walking 5 miles out of the way.

18. I do sincerely apologise, I assumed from the thread title that it was an open question to all forum members. I didn't realise it was a special question just for special members of a special part of the forum.

Jeez.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. My mum says I'm Speshal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I have a yellow Biposto SC1000. I have been told on a number of occasions that it looks ridiculous (or words to that effect). Then again I have been told by as many (probably more) that it looks the dogs (again, not sure if that is a good or a bad description). I am happy to hear people who like it and don't mind people who don't. I have my own preferences as do others. Generally I wouldn't comment on anyone else's pride and joy unless I had something positive to say, but like taste in bikes not everyone is the same and some like to say whatever is on there mind no matter how it may annoy, offend or disrespect others. I don't mind that as sometimes it can have an element of truth however offensive or disrespectful the comment may be.

I look at other makes forums even though I have never owned an am unlikely to buy the machines other people see as their pride and joy. I might think their bikes are impractical or not particularly pleasing aesthetically, but I will say nothing (and its my nature not to) unless I have a positive comment to make. I do often see other peoples bikes as the "polished turd" referred to earlier. Then again I have an SC1000 so my taste might well be shite;)

My SC is a keeper, it rides well, even in town, its smooth and at the speeds it can get to even on a race track (its not very fast) it handles better than I can ride it. That won't be enough for the fast riders, but for me its ideal. Oh and while I am really happy with it, I can tell you that after 300 or so miles it is not comfortable so I can understand anyone not wanting to have it for long distance rides. I was going to do an Iron Butt ride on it, but thought better of it.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information