1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Forest Trip 2015

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Pete1950, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ditto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I fancy this as well!

3. That's basically the same route my grandad took between 1942 and 45 only he did it at night 20,000 ft above ground.

4. I will keep an eye on this thread, certainly up for it, would prefer a non school holiday week, as less traffic, and cheaper overall. If anyone fancy's a fairly short notice few day trip PM me (when the weather looks really good)

5. OK, so when are the non-school holiday weeks in France and Germany? I have no idea, sorry.

6. Quite often same sort of time ours are

7. Used to do a similar trip in May to this area and never had bad weather. Lovely area, used to stay at the 'roter ochse' in rhens brilliant bike friendly place that did incredible food decent accommodation and was relatively cheap. Highly recommended .

8. Thanks for the info, but if that is the Rhens which is near Koblenz then unfortunately it is 150 miles away from the Strasbourg & Black Forest area I had in mind. Rhens is a lot closer to the Cochem / Nurburgring area.

9. Ta Pete , it's where we always stayed can't recommend it highly enough but as you say too far in comparison the where you are going. Have a good trip great part of Germany . Off to berlin over Xmas love the place.

10. Another Defo maybe. Would love to bit of touring next year. Got the go ahead from Mrs bettes but had thought about going from Santander through Portugal to Spain then back up.

11. Whatever dates are picked will fail to suit somebody, no doubt. Time for a making up of minds I think, so let me crystallise this.

I intend to set off early on Friday 22 May 2015 via the Tunnel and ride to the Strasbourg area. 23 & 24 May will be taken up touring the Black Forest and Vosges areas. I shall head for Calais and home on Monday 25 May 2015, which is a bank holiday. See early posts in this thread for details. There is the possibility of rain, of course, but that goes for any dates.

If anyone wants to (and is in a position to) accompany me, they are welcome, but I shall be going anyway. I shall soon be identifying a hotel and booking three nights' stay - I'll post on here when I do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. A thankless task trying to organise trips. I stopped doing it a few years ago, as you say you can't please all the people all the time. Springtime in Germany (Mel Brooke's ) is a wonderful place . Enjoy your trip.

13. I have just booked at the Ibis Styles Hotel Strasbourg Centre, 1 Quai de Paris, Strasbourg 67000. It's on the river near the city centre and has bookable private parking. It was about £198 for three nights including breakfast.

14. I already have another provisional booking for that weekend, but if it falls through then I will come on this instead.

15. Pete, I am interested, I will put dates in dairy, let me know when you have booked tunnel, so we can get the same times

16. Hotel; booked Pete, just need train times to book that so we travel together, I have also booked a parking spot, hope we can get more than one bike in it, at 15E a night :(

#36 MaDProFF, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. taking shape then

18. I have also booked a parking spot, and the hotel has assured me by email that it is secure.

As regards tunnel bookings, I am planning to get to the Folkestone terminal at approx. 9.00 - 9.30 am for outward trip. On return trip I hope to get to Calais approx. 18.30 - 19.00. But I was not intending to book the tunnel until nearer the time. It is pretty easy to get tunnel bookings for bikes even at fairly short notice, so no need to commit too soon.

19. Checked the date, expecting to be racing that weekend at Snetterton so not this time

20. #40 Pete1950, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information