1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748rs On Ebay

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duke63, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Want! :Arghh:

2. Agreed, nice bike.

3. Niiiice. But my bank balance couldn't pay for the maintenance let alone the bike. And I've seen ex-bsb 996s go for not much more too.

4. don't like,, saw a similar livery Blade somewhere recently,, looked so much better.

5. Wow!! A £6k bike for 3 times its value. Bargain. Maintaining would cost mega sums of used properly and often

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah, whether valves shims have been done or not, I bet the whole valve train is battered.

7. Don't these need a full rebuild every 500 miles or something? Especially if been raced and/or the whole Rev range used

8. ANDROID853 has one, or at least an engine. Not seen him here for a couple of days so I'm guessing servicing is pretty major :D. I remember the early sand cast cases needed replacing every 1000KM on the 916.

9. Still around, just being quiet for a few days after too many late nights. In full race trim and being raced the engine is "refreshed" every 6 to 700 kilometres and can often involve a complete head rebuild. The on /off cams with a red line at 12,400 tend to knock the shit out of the valves. You could also look at replacing pistons, wrist pins and bottom end bearings. After talking it through I have restricted my revs to 11,000 and expect to strip the engine for inspection and selected replacement after 2,000 kilometres or about 2 years depending on how many track days I do. My birthday present to me will be an EVR 853 conversion kit and I'm considering replacing the RS cams with R cams. Several reasons not least I can move to indexing cams and R belts are a lot easier to get. What this guy is offering as a package looks good value as I've said in another post, a Rubens Zaus 748RS bike on it's own will cost you more and will lose value if you ride it. At least with all the bits being offered you'll have enough parts for several years. My build is what I wanted to do specifically and if I were to look at the project again I'd be seriously tempted to develop a 1098R which as an engine, I rate very highly. Andy

10. As somone who has one andy, or the motor at least, do you reckon its worth 20k?

11. I may be missing something, but it looks like showa forks, standard brakes, master cylinders, swingarm, footpegs, ally wheels and tank with a key tunnel and standard filler cap etc all matched to an engine that'll cost a fortune to run. £20k?
    Surely they were better speced than than from new, and would've had nicer bits on to race with.

12. Havent checked the link other than the price. Doesnt sound very Rs to me.

13. Not a hint of mag anywhere...

14. AirTubes have indicator mounts....is that a Corse mod??

#15 RickyX, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  15. Ok guys, its 748RS - built to uk supersport spec. Ie - same as a 748R with a breathed on motor. no mag wheels, no mag swingarm, no mag tripleclamps, no fancy forks. Not a really high spec chassis, just a fancyish motor. And a light frame I think - thin wall tube. So not really a collectors piece, there are better specc'ed ex race bikes around at similar prices. Its a nice bike for doing forgotten era supersport races on. not 20k though

16. IF and that is a big if given the last couple of posts, the bike advertised is a genuine ex customer team RS with 2 genuine RS motors as spares, you will be getting competition Showa forks, 30mm offset triple clamps, R frame, RS carbon 4 piece air box, R shower restricted injectors, standard swing arm, Ohlins RS Rear shock, race wheels (probably16.5 inch), 320 mm dia, 6mm thick, 15mm offset front discs, 4 pot Brembo calipers, 200mm rear disc, single pot small rear caliper and an engine with full gas flowed inlet and exhaust ports, open or closed cam profile, 54mm exhaust, race loom although 16m engine management with trick dash and a close ratio gear box. In the order of 125/130 real world HP and 60 something lbs ft torque. I reckon I've done my build which is all that less the loom and 16.5" wheels but plus a longer swing arm, Marchesini 17" road and track wheels, de restricted throttle bodies and 848/1098 injectors for about £10,000 and I've still got all the R bits including the engine in the loft. Is it worth it, I'll let you know after my first track day but I have high hopes as the RS engine revs a lot freer and has a better power/torque delivery. I'd be a lot faster if I lost several stone but fast wasn't the object, the fun was in the build so hopefully the performance will be the icing on the cake. Andy

Just thought I'd add to make it clear, the £10,000 includes buying the 748R as the donor bike. Andy

#17 Android853sp, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Cranker, don't forget the price includes 2 complete engines plus extra wheels and spares so £20,000 is in the ball park for a bike ridden by a named rider. Maybe not worth it to 99.9% of the population but that 0.1% will be interested I'm sure. Andy

18. Nice bike, and some good spares with it, but a tad on the high side I think... Nice though all the same..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information