1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Bront, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Have to confess that I've left the first part between the rear cylinder and the vertical pipe untouched brown because I feel I'm on a hiding to nothing trying to keep it clean.
    How quickly does this section oxidise - is it worth cleaning up?
    Tempting to get this bit ceramic coated...

2. can the manifold come off without damaging the gasket or is new one always needed

3. Ive taken my manifolds off a couple of times and not needed a new one.Sods law says you will though!

4. well thats hopeful,, guess i will give it a try then,, ta R

5. WP_000071.jpg WP_000487.jpg WP_000575.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. this was done by reality motorworks in bristol, all polished with mops/soaps apart from the manifolds which were vapor blasted. The manifolds discolored in about 20 minutes and after a couple of hundred miles are back to minging:( the rest of the system is geting browner with every ride and ive yet to find a easy way to get em as good as they were... but its cool at least of got some pics of thier shinyness!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. show off !!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Try the HG liquid cream from Homebase. Once they're shiny ,all you need to do is remove the oxidation. Maybe onto a loser with the sections closest to the cylinders though....

They certainly did a great Job - how much??

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eek.Maybe I wont bother with mine.:Arghh:

10. I dont know... as in they did powder coating of frame ,wheels, headlight bucket, foot rest hangers/shit loads of stuff and polishing of rims, swing arm, pipes and what not for £450.00. But very cheap i thought and a great bunch to deal with. Nic (the main man) is just a bike mad geezer who is really enthusiastic about making things work out for the best.A real pleasure to deal with

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wow. That is silly cheap.
    Let's hope they don't go bust from undercharging because if they do, they won't be able to provide a service at all...

12. Do you need to plug the ends of the pipes to stop the cleaner getting inside?

13. Can't think why...

14. in case it has an effect on the baffles.

15. By which I mean the packing.

16. didn't realise you were talking about the silencer.

I guess it might affect the packing, so may well be a good idea.

I think it's probably glass fibre, which is pretty tough but it can't hurt to be careful :)

17. Sorry, yeah. Meant the cans.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anyone attempted this with the exhaust still on the bike? Or is it definately exhaust off to polish at least the mid/end section up successfully?

I recently bought this replacement mid section and had it fitted and stupidly then figured I should have polished it up first :-/

[​IMG]

19. If you try to use a mop it will go everywhere. I'd suggest to leave alone and take it off and polish over winter.

20. It's possible to hand polish pipes in situ, it's just fiddly, less effective and less efficient

#60 Old rider, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information