1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 525 Exc Supermoto Build.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Jul 13, 2014.

1. yes i've already looked!

got a load of crap to offload soon, cars 4x4's tools plant and equipment! i've take a job from self employment and have a whole heap of stuf to get rid of...that will free up ooodles of cash. then i'll do what your doing i think. maybe i'll drop the norton engined idea, were into 6k for a decent engine build on a Norton!

I want a naked bike for the summer, i love the mv brutale rr, this is a version of that and i like it

2. Today's therapy consisted of rads being connected and rest brake built up but not bled...

IMG_20141221_160303.jpg

IMG_20141221_152357.jpg

IMG_20141221_160244.jpg

IMG_20141221_152345.jpg

IMG_20141221_160230.jpg

IMG_20141221_152326.jpg

IMG_20141221_152423.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Did you have to split the cases to get them lookng like that? What does spmething lIke that cost?

4. Yep. Cases had to be split. All the externals went to a company called sandwell coating...blasting and painting came to the thick end of 500 but the coating "xylan" is pretty well everything resistant. Engine rebuild then cost another 500. Sandwell have my front caliper and handlebar clamp at the moment....hence the lack of handlebars...
    20140629_174411.jpg
    Here's my mates Katana in black....absolutely beautiful....he put me on to them. The engine is coated in gloss black xylan...I spoke to Dan at sandwell....essentially if a customer wants something to last its gets coated in this stuff....apparently is used lot in oil rig applications its that resistant.

#64 comfysofa, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wow. Maybe I'll check out the cost of new crankcases instead

6. Yes, but they'd still have to be blasted and coated... I think I can safely say this finish is going to be more resistant to the elements than any OEM manufacturer can put out.....especially ducati....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stuff that has happened in the last couple of days....

Motogadget stuff came... IMG_20141223_101147.jpg
    Front caliper came back from the coaters... IMG_20141223_111840.jpg IMG_20141223_111854.jpg
    handlebar clamps done as well....
    IMG_20141223_111931.jpg IMG_20141223_111945.jpg
    Dreading the electrics, have to cut part of the original loom away that I don't need and keep the parts that I do, fan, ignition etc etc...

8. Finished for the night....feeling pretty chuffed with myself although it look like a bike. Electrically nothing is connected to anything else and no fluids are in yet....hydraulically.
    IMG_20141223_225928.jpg
    IMG_20141223_220855.jpg
    IMG_20141223_224223.jpg

IMG_20141223_222526.jpg

9. That connector block looks like something from an old GPO exchange

10. Yeah....does a bit..ironically that's the brains of the operation....

11. About your side stand.....

Looking good!

12. Not sure I understand....there's no spring attached if that's what you mean.....lost the catch that goes to the frame, so I can't attach the spring....I will hold my hands up and say that the Saturday I got it within 10 mins of unloading it....I took to it with a socket and Allen key set....start to take photos....then thought...fuck it, I'll work it out...

13. Just looks very long that's all....I guess it has to be as its jacked up....just looks a bit funny that's all. :upyeah:

14. In fact your not wrong there....as the wheels are now smaller when the stand is down its sits more vertical so, I might have to shorten the stand...but, that is the right stand...

15. A little update. Im thoroughly caught up in the motogadget ecosystem now. To make it all work "as they intend" - you need all their stuff, so, additionally to what ive got ive now ordered 2 swtich cluster sets for each side of the bars and something called the m-button so all of those said switch's wiring goes to the mbutton and then in turn only one wire goes back to the m-unit, neat, if not expensive but if youre going to do it, do it properly.

After 10 days of arsing around its now starting pretty well on the button, I had some issues with the carb gasket swelling up so it wouldn't fit and also a float height issue which I solved last night (makes me sound like I know what im doing but it was purely guess work), so, it starts and ticks over. Bit of a Frankenstein moment as while I was putting the tank on after setting the float height there was a massive crack of thunder then the rain started, I hit the starter and it fired up - so I had to do a mu-ha-ha laugh....

Now waiting for my mate to come back off of site work so we can get on with wiring the lot of it up, then a sticker kit and finished.
    20141228_132530.jpg
    An before anyone chips in, yeah - the chain is on.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Ive zoomed in and looked .........the chain is definately not on

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I can just imagine the excitement of the first ride! Gear on, fire it up, grin stupidly to your mates who've come round to see, clutch out expecting a small hovering wheelie into the distance as you sit there with the front sprocket going into hyperdrive!
    :D

Looks great. Bet you cant wait to get it done!

18. are you sure? It might be the emperors new chain.

Lovely work comfy and Xylan is great - and since its a non stick teflon pan now you can do your bacon butties on it as well :)

Did the blasting company mask off the areas out of interest or did you deliver it as a dry built pre assembled set of cases?

19. Yep. Youre telling me but i have to wait now to get the wiring done...thanks to all the likes from all of you.....ill do some vids of the clocks when its all wired up....should get the fabricated tray back mid next week to hold the m unit. Ill initially get it running but then once ive had a few months on it the front end will be coming off to service the forks and get the outers coated black and the yokes orange. Rear shock needs to be lowered more for supermoto style riding.

20. Cheers sev

Delivered it as crankcases and component parts, they blasted and masked off, then coated. To leave me and get the component parts back coated was 500 quidish. My mate is an ex ktm works mechanic so it made sense for him to build. While the motor was apart there were a fair few internal parts which ktm upgraded so they all went in as well to make it more reliable.

My mates katana on the previous page wasnt much more than mine as the old gs motor was simpler to mask off.

If ever the hyper motor has to come out itll be getting the same treatment.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information