1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2010 Engine Gone

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bugsbunny, Dec 16, 2014.

1. hi bugs, sorry to hear about your bike, I also had a problem (see blown engine) anyway long story but I have a virtually new 2011 engine ( re built by ducati leeds ) for sale if you end up going down that route.

pm me for details or feel free to call 07817026499

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. thanks for all replies, latest is that ducati asked snells for samples of the oil and to see the history. test results early next year.

still cant understand that if the engine was so far gone, how I could have been riding it for a few weeks.

when the original diagnosis had come in to say it was a bearing and ducati were still undecided on whtether they would help out, I'd already asked the dealer to go ahead - expecting a hefty bill > 1-2K...then the call came that it wasn't just a bearing issue and that on opening the motor it was a mess and the cost would be nearly 8-9K !

yes secondhand engine is a definitive option I guess, its just a disappointing mess before xmas...I mean I have put up with all the hassles since Aug 2010 for nearly 4 years, anyway hope its a one off and some way out can be found, scrapping or selling off the good bits off from a 3.5 year old bike because the engine's blown up and no one can find a reason it is not an option / ideal result for either party.

3. Smells like bullshit to me , a cracked piston ......8-9k ...pounds , doesn't add up . I feel you must inspect the engine damage yourself , or if its all mumbo jumbo to you , get someone who does know their stuff. I have removed cracked pistons from my IT400 , 2L Capri , numerous chainsaws, mowers, outboards and NEVER was their subsequent damage , not even a scored bore , admittedly all the above had seen plenty of use . Possibly the mechanics are intending to replace everything inside rather than just the damaged parts. If you do decide to view the damage 1st hand ( eye ? ) don't give the shop prior warning .... just turn up and demand to see the thing NOW and check the serial # of the engine to make sure its yours. Its not unheard of for unscrupulous mechanics to source ( cheap ) parts for their own bike or their friends, by charging them onto your job. #$*k me ! 8-9k pounds is about $20,000 nz........ I can buy a brand new car for that ( not a Bugatti ) something is wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. £9k would make this beyond economical repair for a 2010 bike. Whilst I don't agree with the paranoia of the previous post, 8-9k is certainly a lot of money. Have they provided a cost explanation and breakdown ?

5. £1k+ is a 15k miles service, so £2k was a little low for major engine work, but £8-9k is some serious money. It should have come with a full list of parts and a labour breakdown.
    There are a few engines around from £1800inc vat upwards. Don't forget Duval engine fits (anyone done this?).i

6. Wow thats a heck of a replacement cost. Surely a new engine from ducati isnt even that much

7. Paranoya ?! Fuck you :p ! it happens

#27 Mc Tool, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. Just out of interest, what would a new engine cost?
    As said above if you rode the bike there and you haven't had any other problems like excessive smoking burning oil or a fouling plug I'm inclined to think something isn't right with their report.
    Ok if a bit of skirt dropped off the piston yeah may be it could get fired around inside the engine and gear box but surly you would notice not being able to find gears or juddering when setting off or pushing the bike.
    Also if the piston has cracked how did this happen? has it been damaged when they replaced the heads 5k miles ago?
    You need to ask them these questions and go an see the evidence, and as Mr Mc Tool said just turn up don't warn them.

9. I was thinking that a cracked piston would still be in one piece, as opposed to a broken piston which would possible drop a bit into the mix , I guess that's down to interpretation, but even so I find it hard to believe that one could ride a bike which was devouring itself to the tune of GBP9k and not at the very least suspect something was amiss if indeed it was munching up a piston skirt, Huh, having said that my Mother had a FRONT wheel come off her car , the nuts were still on the studs , the bolt holes in the wheel had flogged out so much the wheel came off ....... she swears it didn't make any noise or feel different ...... go figure

10. Regardless of what the result is, the fact that 15k bike which is meant to be a premium brand drops an engine at those miles is nothing short of ridiculous. The fact that the company is now owned by VAG was one of the reassuring facts prompting me to buy mine but the more you read the worse it gets, they want to get there act together. I am sure i have read somewhere that someone won a case under the trade descriptions act/sale of goods act against a car manufacturer/garage when there engine gave out. It was along the lines that it was not fit for purpose (should have lasted longer than it did) regardless of the warranty period.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Agree. Have to say I'd be looking at legal action. It would be worth a couple hundred quid to get proper, accurate advice even if that turned out to be I had no leg to stand on in making a claim.

12. Fitting in with pretty all the advice given, take a qualified (independent) motorcycle mechanic with you to inspect the engine. Snells are widely regarded as a quality outfit, so I'm sure they will co-operate.
    If you decide to take legal action you'll need this report anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes, that's what paranoia is. The worry of something that can happen. /shrug.

14. I think when my V2 Tuono engine went about 5 years ago, the cost of a new engine was just under £5k but that is without any fitting costs.

I think you would struggle with any legal action for something that is over 4 years old and with 20k+ miles. In any case i'm not sure who you could take action against. I would think it would have to be the dealer and there goes any chance of an amicable agreement.

15. I do think there is a tendency for franchises to hide behind the fact that they are acting on behalf of the manufacturer. I am not saying this is unique to Ducati. I am no legal expert, but my understanding is that the contract of sale is with whomever takes your money?

16. Sale of Goods Act 1979. Six years is the cut off for faulty goods not fit for purpose. YOU have to deal with supplying dealer and YOU have to prove the fault/issue. An independant examiner has to be agreed by both parties and you pay for this. If it goes to court and you win then your costs are covered.
    That's what I believe having researched this avenue with regard to my de plated pulleys saga.
    Gladly bow to someone with proper legal standing on this.

17. What cost bad press for Ducati? Stories like this will kill the used market and the new market as no one will buy the trade ins

Its not a flakey rockers issue

18. Yes. Merely proving that you bought something and it broke four years later is not enough. The point is that for your claim to be successful, the goods have to have been "not fit for purpose" at the time you bought them. Problems arising four years later might show that the fault existed at the time of purchase, or might not, and the burden of proof is on you as the claimant not on the supplier.

19. I must admit as a possible first time owner of a ducati reading things like this does make me think . I've even looked at a crosstourer but keep coming back to a multi ?.

• Like Like x 1
  20. There are thousands sold, it doenst happen to many. But the above comment is excatly why Ducati should help...imho

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information