1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 695 Monster - Second bike?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by mattmccabebrown, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Hello Monster people, how are you today. As some of you may, or indeed may not know Ive got a 1098s, but following the theft of my Ninja, Im looking at getting a second bike to ride to work on.
    My local dealership has a 12,000 mile 2007 695 Monster (black with the red frame), fly screen, non standard cans (not termis) up for £3000, down from £3300.Full service history and in really nice shape. What are your thoughts?
    Couldnt get a photo as the dealership was having some work done and it was under a dust sheet. I did see it last week thou and it is indeed tidy

2. Can't comment on the 695 but I had a 696 while my bike was being serviced and it was absolutely superb, can't think of a better 2nd bike. Maybe worth spending slightly more to get a early 696?

3. Trying to keep it as cheap as poss to be honest :tongue:

4. My other half bought a 2007 695 as a second bike last month (1st bike being Kawasaki Z1000SX). He paid around £2700 private sale, with around 2700 miles on the clock.

His verdict - good fun for shorter journeys, a refreshing change from Kermit the Kawasaki, but would choose to take the latter for longer tours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just had a very quick look on eBay, search Ducati monster and put in maximum value of £3500 and list by highest first.

theres a couple of S4r's on there for circa £3200-3400 and also a S2r 1000 for £3k

id buy one of those I reckon, had an s2r before and it was great, if its the same value but lower mileage and more power then why not :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. [​IMG]

The bike is a 2006 one owner model and had a full service history and its in pretty good condition. The belts were done fairly recently, but the bike is due a service and if I bought it, it would be done before I picked it up. There are however some small problems. The tyres, for want of a better word, are awful. Its looks and very much feels that the bike was hardly ever leant over as when tipping into corners, you can feel the bike slide on the hard shiny rubber. The brake and clutch both feel like they need a really good bleed. It's been dropped on its left side, with a mark on the brake reservoir, the bar end and it looks like as a result the tank has been resprayed, fairly poorly it has to be said as there are several bobble marks showing through on the top. At first I thought they were water droplets. Those end cans, although it good condition, don't seem to have been set up for the bike. Don't get me wrong they sound lovely and look fairly decent to, but they have resulted in a very lumpy delivery between 4k & 5k. Hopefully this could be ironed out, or at worse, I could hunt down some original cans to pop on. Just a thought. There is no underseat storage. Absolutely none and finally, the side stand it tucked right up under the foot peg, making it tricky to get easy access to.
    Now the good points. It is really really comfy. The long stretch to the bars suits me quite well. The mirrors work, the screen is effective and it has some lovely old school clocks.
    I like it. Its at the very top end of the money I was looking to spend, but the bike is really nice, but not nice enough that I'd worry about riding through the winter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Honestly mate, if its the top end of your money at £3k and still isn't spotless then I wouldn't mess about with a little 695.

all monsters of that shape/era feel similar in comfort, the 695 I believe is actually smaller in seat height if I remember right.

are the s2r / s4r models too pricey? I prefer the looks for a start but it's your money bud. If you were to get in to doing the bike up then I reckon it's wasted on a 695 and the s4r motors are miles more grunty

failing that if all you want is a hack for winter and you don't want to bother fettling you could probably get a really nice jap bike for that money which would be super reliable and go like stink :)

do you want something sit up?

8. Yeah dont really want a sportsbike for the winter and to be honest, the bike I go for will be the daily ride, into and out of Central London in all weathers. I was originally looking at a KTM Duke 125 then a 200, but cant get one for the price I was willing to pay, ie under £3k
    My biggest problem thou is that I'm loyal to my local dealership. Silly I know, but I also feel a certain amount of security with buying from them. They have seen me right for years and I wouldnt want to betray that relationship or sacrifice the perks I get. For that, I guess I pay a little bit more.
    I could get something like a Bandit or a Fazer 1000, but I think they are horrid, lacking looks and that 'character' that I want from a bike. Im sure the Fazer and bandits are great did it all bikes. Had a look at a Hornet, hated it. Thought about a ZX9R, felt that I'd be pouring money into that to keep it going.
    Yes 3k could buy me a fair amount, and I have to admit Im looking at little at the resale value too. I was looking at this one simply because it was there. They have an S4r which is lovely, by 4k

9. If you've been that loyal and are likely to shove it their way for servicing etc why not make them an offer of £3.5k for the s4r?

i know its still £500 over budget but I think its a reasonable offer for one especially as I've seen a few since your post at that kind of price, also it may make more sense for them to sell it now it's winter and take servicing money on it instead of it sitting there throughout the snowy weathered months doing nothing but getting older.

To be honest, it's not my money so it's always up to you.

i just reckon a 695 is a bit ...well...... Its a 695...... You're a 1098 rider...... You require a s4r lump :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just double checked the price of their SR4. Its an 07 at they want £5.3 for it :eek:

11. Hmmm, well that's screwed the pooch!

im afraid then I can't help you :)

ebay.....and then take it to them for servicing, that'll keep your loyalty angel happy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well I picked it up today. New tyres, heated grips all fitted. Went for a little spin, got totally and utterly soaked on the way home. So much for the lovely valet :tongue::tongue:

13. Just some pics from today. Showing both my bikes. Do you think I should get a red one next?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Nice.

Rode my other half's 695 today for the first time.

• Handled beautifully (my 696's tyres are squaring off a bit, so it's not handling at its best in comparison), and the gearchange was lovely and smooth (better than the 696).
    • I prefer my 696's ergonomics - I found the slightly wider seat and more acute hip and knee bend on the 695 less comfortable (not sure if the footpegs are higher than on the 696 but they felt that way) and I kept finding myself sliding back on the 695's seat.
    • The 696 engine felt a bit smoother than the 695 at lower speed and lower revs, though the difference was less noticeable faster and at higher revs.
    • Although the 696 ride quality would never be described as plush, I'd definitely take the 696 over the 695 for longer distance tours - the suspension felt firmer on the 695.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Im 6'3 and find the little Monster very comfy, well so far anyway :smile: In comparison to my 1098, this thing is just lovely and soft :biggrin:

16. This is it, this is the tipping point.

next year the 1098 will be gone and you'll be on a Diavel, then open face helmet......and then I'm afraid it'll be leather Chaps and tasseled jacket :)

just kidding, bet its great for central london commuting and at least they match. Does it power wheelie in 4th? :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. You better believe it. That's why I spent all day cleaning it on Sunday, just to get a great price in Spring time :biggrin:

18. Sounds awkward, but I was considering install 696 abs system, into a 695 monster. There are 2 pistons more at the front brakes. is that possible or not? The investment is not that much, and results would be very good.

19. its a solid bike,
    i ran an s2r800 that did everything (commute, tour and track) for years and it was brilliant,
    keep it acf50'd and hose it down with cold water if it gets really salty and it will survive just fine

stock brakes are a bit poo though (but ok for the bike tbh), but its cheap enough to find some 2 pad or 5 pad calipers and 320mm discs from another ducati on ebay and bolt them on

Do Not Sell My Personal Information