1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Motor Brushes

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Lumbux, Jan 22, 2015.

1. i need new brushes for the 400 but electrixworld haven't had them in stock for a long time and I was wondering if anyone knows where else I can get them from. There is some on eBay but they don't come with the insulator and mine fell to bits when I stipped the motor. I did fin another web site but they too were out of stock(can't remember the name)

2. Although it wasn't for a Ducati, in the past I have had to go to an auto spares place and find the nearest size brushes and sand them down to fit........

........it's another reason why I always keep the brushes from electric motors from all appliance and power tools etc when they get chucked.....

...and I keep the insulators........but I don't think any will fit the Ducati starter motor.....

3. Iirc, they are still available from ducati. I may have some in stock tbh, but I'm not back at work til Monday.

4. I'll do a search in my boxes as well...........I think I have got the right sizes from the Electrex website............

...and we may be able to make an insulator if the Electrex pic is anything to go by.

5. Thanks all, there are Ducati ones on the bay so will get one of them. The brushes are fine it was the wire bolt was seized and I broke it trying to get it undone. It a shame the ones in the US have quite and expensive delivery Birdie, would have been good to do a full refurb, ha ho thanks again all. Al do you still have that exhaust cover??

6. Yes......

You can come and get it when necessary, or if I'm over your way I'll drop it off, but that won't be for a while.

#8 Ghost Rider, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  7. the brush kits are still available at £26.40 inc the VAT. I have a couple in stock to :)

8. Thanks Al, will do might be in a couple of weeks if OK. Thanks nell, do yo do PayPal??

9. Fraid not. I can sort out over phone with a card. 01623 238944

10. OK....Whenever you want it.........

11. Thanks Al

12. Just found that the brushes from a 125 Suzuki fit, and it comes with the bolt, and all for £6!! Bargain

13. Set yourself up in business.......

But at least you know what a carbon tube might cost you;)

#15 Ghost Rider, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  14. £6 Al, and I was going to give you a tenner!!

15. Well, quick update. The GS125 brushes fitted and the starter motor works, all I needed to do is fit it back on, the easy bit.

16. I was wondering if I had to remove the starter to replace the brushes, but it can be done with just taking the end cover and brush backplate off by removing the 2 M5 bolts after removing oil cooler hoses and fitting on the engine.
    Mark everything before removing.
    I got the GS125 brushes too from eBay, I found I needed to solder the one brush to the backplate as the braided wire didn't seem secure with just bending the tab over.
    Possibly need a fairly large soldering iron really but I made do with what I'd call a medium sized one.
    Also I had some small tie wraps holding the brushes in as I fitted the backplate and end cover then just cut them off.
    Took me a good few hours, but won't take long next time.
    Hope this helps.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information