1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things To Look Out For When Buying A Sport Classic

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by Kifo, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Good people of the forum!

Having read up extensively on the sport classics, I know of a few things to look out for when buying a sport classic. Having just secured a deal on one prior to viewing (bike is 150 miles from me) I wondered if there was anything in particular I should have a look for when I go up to view it? Other than the usual stuff the only specific thing I can really find on these bikes is the tank issue, anything else I should be looking for? The bike will be getting the full service treatment including new belts prior to my purchase, so no worries there.

Cheers!

2. Not much other than the usual (important) things when viewing any used bike, is it straight-has it been dropped-why is it for sale?.

They do have engine paint issues in common with other models, the spokes rust, the tank issue isn't a huge problem in the UK as far as I'm aware, the fork tops flake too.
    Is it the previous owner your dealing with or a dealer, an owner is usually more knowledgable about things like modifications and you more likely to get any original parts he has in his garage, I'd recommend asking for those as they are getting scarce now.

What model is it?
    If it's anything other than a GT then be prepared for the strange riding position, you do get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a dealer however the bike is actually owned by the salesman, has all original parts coming with the bike also so that's good, no paint flaking has appeared, seems to be straight, non dropped example. He says he's selling as his garage is full of bikes and he's having a clear out.
    It's a sport classic mono, the best one! Heard lots about the riding position, hopefully my years on jap race bikes will hold me in good stead. It's also a pure leisure ride, no commutes or long drives, just a Sunday blast machine/ace cafe poser!

Thanks for the info and will definitely bear all that in mind when viewing

4. How come you secured a deal on a bike you haven't viewed yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mainly because it has all the things done to it I would be doing to a standard bike, it looks perfect, the price I have agreed is good for both parties involved, and it's half way up the country from me. I wouldn't travel up to see it without having a price agreed, if there is anything wrong or I don't like, I don't sign and I make my way home, pretty standard scenario when buying a bike from a dealership really... If it was the type of bike that is readily available then yeah I see your point, not often I have seen one of these exactly as I would like it to be, so I'm not worried.

6. A mono means you may have the option of fitting higher clip ons should the riding posture prove a strain ( ask if this have happened already as it was a common mod and not easily noticable, ST bars fit if you cant find SC specific ones- I think they're the same in any case)
    Also ask if it has standard gearing, lots of owners, like me, fit 14t front sprockets making it livlier on the throttle and easier about town.
    Check the tyres, if they are OE Pirelli phantoms then change them before you do anything else.

Have a trawl through the rest of this section to find out what else is done with these and check out the .ms site which is pretty busy with all the mods ever attempted covered in a fair amount of detail, even some of the less common but still interesting ones, yes it's a very US centric site so some of the suggestions dont apply here but the core stuff is really good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks Dave, excellent info, exactly what I'm looking for, much appreciated.

8. If the bike has Termignoni silencers fitted, you might want to check it also has the Ducati Performance ECU & the modified air filter lid fitted. These came as a kit, but there have been instances of people buying just the silencers. Like most Ducatis the Sport Classics do sound nice with after market silencers, and can benefit from some associated tweaks to fuelling & breathing. Depending on the attitude of your chosen MOT station, you may or may not need the baffles if the bike has after market pipes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Which dealer? :)

10. and what modifications?

11. which colour

Do Not Sell My Personal Information