1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 749s Detail

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Tiago C., Jan 21, 2015.

1. Hello everyone,

In my free time i enjoy practicing detail, and today I share the work I'm developing in my beloved Ducati 749S.

The bike maybe ready later this week, until the end of the week i present some photos of the work that has been done so far.

Hope you enjoy, suggestions/questions are welcome....

Here are some pictures of before and after.

P1070316.JPG

P1070497111.JPG P1070493111.JPG

Front Before:

Frenteantes-1.JPG Frenteantes-2.JPG

Front after:

Frentedepois-1.JPG Frentedepois-2.JPG Frentefinalisada.JPG

Fuel Tank before:

Depositoantes-1.JPG Depositoantes-2.JPG Depositoantes-3.JPG

after:

Depositodepois-1.JPG Depositodepois-2.JPG Depositodepois-3.JPG

Monoposto Tail:
    Bancoantes.JPG Bancodurante.JPG Bancodepois.JPG

Till the end of this week i might finish the work on the bike, as i only have side fairings to finish...

Regards,
    Tiago

• Like Like x 2
  2. very nice. Can i ask where you got the mesh airvents from on the nose fairing?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The ones on image are stock, it comes with the fairing, havent done anything....
    Do you mean something is missing?

4. Will you come and do my bike please? :upyeah:

I do like your 749s - love the mix of red, white, black and gold. Very nice!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ok thanks. It's just that they look a better fit than the ones fitted to my 2004 bike and seem to have a plastic grid to support the mesh.

6. Is that a garage or a showroom???:Jawdrop:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Job well done, mate!

• Thanks Thanks x 1

8. Its my garage/man cave/shoroom... :D:D

9. I would, but you'll need to ship you bike to Portugal!!:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Not Lisbon by any chance?? Going there early February...

11. Im from Oporto!

Are you planning to go the track day in Estoril February 8?

12. Ooh, it's not far is it?

Just in Lisbon for a long weekend. Flying in and out for the wife's birthday weekend. No transport.

13. Love what you've done, the bike looks superb.
    Maybe you could share with us not just what you've done but how you've gone about it in the way of techniques, materials and products used.
    Clearly, one of your techniques is to actually dismantle the bike in order to 'detail' it but, for example, how did you remove all the whirls and scratches so successfully?

Ps How's the weather there at the moment?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. First of all thank you for the compliments! :)

The forecast for this week is sunny, finally, because last week it rained every day ...

As for the work done, requires patience and time...

To obtain these results in a motorcycle, the best way to work is to disassemble all the parts and then work piece by piece ...

I will try to explain in a very general way, because each job is different and every case is different ...

Order of work:

disassemble
    wash
    decontaminate
    polish
    Seal the paint
    wax
    mount
    at least, be astonished with mouth open:D:D

The first thing to do is wash and then decontaminate the pieces with a claybar, the claybar removes dirt that washing can not remove ...
    After the parts are decontaminated, we go to next step, the polishing stage.
    The polishing step is composed of three stages.
    Cut - When we have deep scratches, we use a more abrasive Polish with high removal capacity.
    Polishing - When applied the cut stage and when only has swirls and surface scratches
    Finishing - Serves to end the piece, that is to be all uniform and bright

In this work, in the polishing stages, I do not applied cutting stage, only polishing and finishing, because there was no need to punish the varnish when there was no deep scratches.

After polishing, the paint is "naked" and need protection, we have to seal / protect the paint with a glaze / sealant, allow to cure for about 12 hours.
    After 12 hours withdraws and applies the wax for a further 12 hours.

In a very succinct way these are the main steps for a detail, but each case is different.

I hope have explained the steps that should be done.

If you have questions, I'll answer and try to help the best I can.

Best Regards,
    Tiago

Attached some more final pictures of this work... hope to finish this week and i'll post photos of the final result.

2015-01-23 00.05.52.jpg 2015-01-23 00.06.03.jpg 2015-01-23 00.12.57.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Just a word of warning, the lacquer coat is quite thin. If you go too hard with the compound you risk cutting through that to the base paint. I believe they use two coats of colour over a white primer which will show through if the scratches are deep ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Products for all these stages??

17. There's so many good products!!

18. There are a bewildering number of products, which is exactly why it would be interesting to know what products you used to such good effect and why

#20 Old rider, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information