1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Favorite Dtc/abs Settings In The 3 Riding Modes?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by pisquano, Jan 26, 2015.

1. as per title - the SP has a further ABS mode that disables it only in the back, not sure what that's for?

cheers
    Fed

2. in Sport mode:- DTC 1, (recently changed from 2) ABS 2 Engine/Throttle - High, use this pretty under most conditions, cold wet, icy and for "normal" riding in the dry (not seen much of that lately though). DTC 1, seems to let the rear spin up a little bit in the wet, just enough to make it a fun and interesting ride, but steps in before things get too out of hand, its nice to have the safety net.

Have been thinking about the TC and wondering if it can improve ones riding ability. It certainly allows you to explore the performance of the tyre in all conditions, knowing that there's little chance of a hi/lo side, I think there is some learning from this, in that you begin to understand what you can get away with powering out of a corner, particularly in poor conditions. Had a ride out a couple of weeks ago, just the usual, Hartside, Alston, Barnyard Castle, with my mate following on his Buell 1200, roads were wet, greasy and covered in cow shit and mud, now i think he's a pretty handy fella on the bike, med/fast group on track days, but I had to stop and wait for 10 minutes for him to catch up when we got to BC. I pretty much put this down to the DTC, I could properly nail it from the apex to the exit, making up loads of time, where he was "feeling" his way round the bend.

In the dry (and warm, summer! remember that?) everything is off and it feels like there is less hesitation, more drive off the bend, enough of a difference to make it feel like i was arriving at the next bend quicker than when DTC was on. Granted, I only managed a couple of dry rides toward the end of last autumn where i felt like I was beginning to properly get a feel for the bike and feel like i was actually riding the thing, instead of being a wide eyed passenger, where i was confident to turn it all off

Wet mode? Nah, no point. My thinking is, might as well have max power all the time and have the throttle response also at max, that way you learn the power delivery characteristics, if you have the throttle in the Med setting then switch to high when the weathers good, its going to feel like a different bike and might catch you out...

sorry, just re-read your Q and realised there is no answer in the rambling above, anyway, with no ABS at the rear you can "back" it in to the corner, drift the back end out as you approach the corner, bit like oversteer in a car, if you're brave enough or skilled enough, so far i'm neither of those.. check out Jake Holden on youtube, for someone that is both

#2 Dave821SP, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thanks how much do you use track mode vs sport?

4. Hi Pisquano

In Race mode, I've got everything switched off, Not had much chance to use that mode yet, couple of rides toward the end of the good weather last year. So while the weather is bad and the roads wet, i stick to Sport mode with the settings I mentioned above. When the spring comes around, I'll prob stick it in Race mode.

Don't know why, but it seems a little daunting to switch everything off, but if you think about it, TC is only a recent thing and we've all been happy riding without the safety net on machines just as powerful for many years. I think its a great step forward and i think i've learnt a lot whilst using it, but maybe we shouldn't rely on it too much?

5. yes I agree. my M796 didn't even have DTC so I get your point...
    but ABS stays ON for me :)

6. IIRC The name is all that's different between SP and non SP versions. They're all just presets with fancy names anyway :) I'm lame and have pretty much left the settings as per factory, I tend to use Touring (med throttle and 7 DTC with ABS 2) most of the time, unless I'm doing a lot of slow speed stuff where the low throttle comes in handy as it's a bit smoother. If it's nice and dry I just leave it in High throttle, with DTC on 4. I'd like to turn it down a bit more but am a wheelie novice!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information