1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanish Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Touring' started by J biker, Feb 17, 2015.

1. heres a few pics of the "off piste" roads i travelled

• Like Like x 2
  2. On your way down through France a midday meal will also be cheap, about €12 to €13 at most small cafes for 3 courses in villages, but it only happens at 12 to 12:30 and you need to ask for the "Menu de jour", it is a set menu. Most village/town hotels on the way down charge around €40 per room, my local where I get visiting bikers to stay is €28 per room.
    Although it is just down the road we never bother with Andorra any more as it is a grotty sh1t hole. You are more likely to get days with heavy rain in the west and less likely in the middle/east of the Pyrenees.
    Enjoy your trip!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Been there a couple of times. We are staying in Jaca near you in early September. If you want to head south check out the Bardenas Reales...unbelievable desert landscapes. You can go off road through it or for those high speed sweepers the NA-125. Also check out Los Mallos de Riglos on the A-132 and the small town of Sos del Rey Catolico in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow, amazing roads and scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I stayed in Jaca last September, great area, great town, Loved it

• Like Like x 1
  6. I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if missing something. The road from Seu D'Urgell to Puigcerda is very nice - smooth sweepers mostly. You could combine that with the complete opposite from Puigcerda to Ripoll on N-152, which changes direction every 30 yards or so. Watch out for local bikes here. You could come back turning off after Ribes de Freser but before Ripoll on GI-401, south on C16 to Berga, then BV-4241 Coll de Jou then Coll de Nargo, C14 north to N-260 for home. I have done all of these roads (except Coll de Jou, which I'd like to) and they're fine. Did them on an FJR and this is why I now have a Multistrada. This looks like a good day out to me - if you do it, let me know what the Coll de Jou is like.

I think the Coll de Boixols is a good road. Col de Puymorens is OK but may be busy, especially in France. I've done the route from Bagneres Luchon to Seu D'Urgell, which I remember as pleasant without being stunning.

Agreed on comments re Andorra.

Spain is probably the best country in Europe on a bike.

7. The 4241 west out of Berga...... Wow.

8. I live in the French Pyrenees, and agree the mountain roads in Spain and France are incredible......but I've been spending this summer in Provence and some of the roads here have taken my breath away..........the gorges du Vernon is brilliant, perfect Tarmac and wonderful scenery...

9. Agreed, been there a few times. Brill bit of road on the south side from Lac le Croix up D19 and D71 on south side of Gorge .

East past Lac de Castillon (d955) is one of the best race tracks, I mean public roads for miles. Great in all directions around there.

N85 from Grasse is stunning but a bit busier.

Planning a return some time....

10. Just back late on Friday. Wow. Best roads and best weather I have had on a biking holiday.
    Best combination of goat tracks, fast mountain roads, gorges and race tracks (ahem) I have experienced.
    thanks for the tips on road choices, tbh it was hard to find a bad one. Will never forget the naughty ride over L-511 Coll de Nargo road (or the even naughtier ride back!)
    Happy days ;)
    Btw not much at Campo for night life but very well placed for a base.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I won't bore ya with the hundreds of pics but .

I've just had 10 days in spain (Pyrenees) got back last wk, I got the ferry from ports to caen, first night in caen lovely little bikers place, 2nd night Niort lovely place in the town square, 3rd night in pau, I never saw a m-way/autoroute and took in some great rds even got a selfie .
    [​IMG]

From pau, I rode over the col de la Saint Pierre martin and under the new bridge, it's 3x that wide again .
    [​IMG]
    to meet my mates whom had got the ferry to santander and meet em on the 240 @ Jaca then it's race track from there on 100mph sweepers .
    [​IMG]
    You even get a sticker now when you ride the 260@sort and there's some wonderful views .
    [​IMG]

Back through france i had one place I wanted to pay a visit.
    10-june 1944
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Had a nice tour of the Northern half of the Pyrenees last month, see photo album.

I found a Points of Interest file of all the passes / cols in the Pyrennes on a Triumph site and spend a happy hour or two converting the date into Waypoints in Garmin Basecamp. Attached is a GPX file, which have the altitude in square brackets. The # after the altitude denotes that the road ends at the top.

I had to rename the GPX file as a .txt file to be able to attach it.

Below is a screen snapshot of Basecamp showing all the Waypoints. I had to create special symbols, colour coded by height.
    upload_2015-9-29_22-22-27.png

Enjoy,

13. Ahh, basecamp....

Prefer to use google maps, 3-4 waypoints and input them in sat nav. You would not believe the issues basecamp caused some folks this time round.
    Google Maps

This ^^ route was a cracker, amongst many. ;)

14. What sort of mileage were you basing your days on ? Looking to plan some time here next July but don't want to plan unrealistic goals

15. Around 250 a day. A real mix of roads though, from mega fast to goat tracks!
    We always included some sort of mountain pass, or N260 section. Cant say enough good things about the area. Even roads that were off the radar for recommendations turned out to be good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's more than I was expecting, what's fuel availability like ? Not seen a bad review of the area or roads, so it must be good !

17. We never had issues with fuel being available, just me needing it 1st!

Miles may have been less if the weather had not been so perfect.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information