1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One For The Experts :)...servo Assisted Start (999) Used To Work, Now Suddenly Stopped??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Thanks Chris will try that when I get the bike back...

Apologies in advance for what I assume may be silly questions, but what do you mean by, 'holding the latch open' and initial start voltage re-setting?

For info there is a brand new fully charged battery on the bike (not that there was anything wrong with the old one)-just changed it for peace of mind and to eliminate a bad battery from the mix ...

2. Wayne is referring to an 'electronic latch' within the ECU. Normally these are earth triggers like the ones used to latch the injector/coil/fuel pump relay, for example. The ECU is voltage sensitive so any loss of voltage even for a millisecond could cause the ECU to reset. It is really difficult diagnosing the fault remotely, particularly as none of my contacts have come across this issue before.

I think another ECU would at least allow us to establish where the fault lies. With the ECU or with other external components.

3. Agreed (using another ECU to eliminate external components)

I will let this be for now and I will try the things mentioned in the thread when I get the bike returned to me and report back.

Thanks again all

Tony

4. Hi, interesting thread! Just to throw a couple of pennies worth in, the early 999 came through without 'servo start'! (its actually to save the battery undue stress!) And tbf it seemed pretty hit and miss which bikes had it and which didn't early on! Also, as long as the ecu isn't coded then there's no need to code it, unless you want the extra security!... just something i noticed mentioned earlier! Oh.. and the earth issue was the bolt on the rear cylinder. On some very early bikes it was too long and bottomed out! Personally i never found one like this, however i have found the earth bolt loose that retains the ecu, simple to check as the cap head is visible below the battery, if they rotate at all the battery carrier needs to come off to allow access to the retaining nuts.. give em a tweak! ;)

5. Hi, interesting thread! Just to throw a couple of pennies worth in, the early 999 came through without 'servo start'! (its actually to save the battery undue stress!) And tbf it seemed pretty hit and miss which bikes had it and which didn't early on! Also, as long as the ecu isn't coded then there's no need to code it, unless you want the extra security!... just something i noticed mentioned earlier! Oh.. and the earth issue was the bolt on the rear cylinder. On some very early bikes it was too long and bottomed out! Personally i never found one like this, however i have found the earth bolt loose that retains the ecu, simple to check as the cap head is visible below the battery, if they rotate at all the battery carrier needs to come off to allow access to the retaining nuts.. give em a tweak! ;)

6. Hi racing green
    Thanks for that

Mine did originally come with the servo start function (2006 model)... However like I say it just stopped one morning...

I have the bike back now and should receive the moto electric cables in a few days

My plan is to first install the cables and ensure all connections (including the ECU one you mentioned) are clean and tight....to see if it was a bad ground/poor cabling that was causing the issue...

If not, I may borrow an ECU to see if the function returns ... If it still doesn't return.... Then I will know for sure I ride a ducati! ...

7. They all came with servo assist start . I had two 2003 999s from new . One wrote off and replaced with another new one . Both had servo assist start .

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information