1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Engine Light Comes On Occassionally

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by JGJ, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Hi All

Does anyone have an idea what this problem might be?
    When pulling up to a junction or lights and as I pull in the clutch the engine light on my 999 comes on but then when I pull away it goes out again.
    Any ideas?

Regards
    James

2. Mine occasionally does that on the 749... "They all do that sir"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Get oil pressure checked, could be end bearing on way out.
    Hopefully it's dodgy pressure switch.

4. Could be a faulty clutch lever switch

5. If the light is coming on when you are sitting in First with the clutch pulled in and the light disappears shortly after you pull away, then it is indeed the clutch sensor that is playing games (as Chris W suggests , cos he knows his stuff :) ).

My 999 does that on occasion. Not all the time, just occasionally.

6. Sorry thought you meant oil light.

7. Does it do it with engine in neutral and the clutch lever released?

8. Now noticed the little tab on the clutch lever doesn't contact the clutch switch enough to make the micro switch click so some adjustment required.
    What does this clutch switch do anyway?

9. It tells the dash to light up the engine management error light when the clutch switch goes wrong.

:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. No really!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Allows you to start the bike whilst in gear. So you don't have to find neutral should you stall the bike.

12. Ok great stuff I'll get that working but still doesn't explain why the engine light comes on when pulling up to a stop then goes out when pulling away.

13. Speed sensor tells ECU not moving. Neutral switch tells ECU that bike is in gear. Clutch switch tells ECU it is pulled in. If no signal from clutch switch then ECU logs error and EOBD light comes on. Status quo returns when you set off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Makes sense to me,need to make some adjustment and see what happens,thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aha! Have noticed I can't start the bike in gear any more - must be those Chinese levers not actuating the micro-switch... :/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information