1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Test Ride Opinion: 1200 Dvt V Ktm Super Adv V Bmw 1000 Engined Thing

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 3.06.28 PM.png

I had a fun time last weekend test riding a BMW S1000R, KTM Super Adventure and Ducati Multistrada DVT.

I'm in the market for a replacement for my excellent Yamaha Super Tenere - I no longer need to commute by bike so the sensible, reliable S10 can go and I can get something more fun. I'm after the spiritual successor to my KTM 950 Supermoto which was more fun than the most fun thing, but a bit of a pain for distance work (!). I want lots of power, a comfortable riding position, mile munching, and a serious dose of madness.

Obviously I can't ride the BMW S1000XR yet as nobody has any, but with it having the same engine as the S1000R naked streetbike, I rode that instead. I like the torque of twins and haven't had a 4 cylinder for a while, so I wanted to see if I'd like the engine. The S1000XR is going to be pretty much the same power unit.

P&H in Crawley had the KTM Super Adventure in, and just registered a 1200 DVT (non-S base model) on Friday evening so I was able to take it out on Saturday morning. Thoughts on all 3:

BMW S1000R

Vines in Guildford leant me theirs. After an hour I found I just wasn't getting on with the engine. It's all a bit too revvy and frantic for me, and doesn't feel relaxed. It is super smooth and turbine like, but it felt a bit lacking in torque so you just need to keep revving it. It's a bit "shouty".

Electric suspension & other bits worked fine. I tend to just set my suspension up and leave it alone so personally I don't see a huge value in electric adjustment. The seat was hard as anything, though I imagine the S1000XR will be a much more plush affair.

The quickshifter is a laugh and the bike is crazily fast when you use it. Short geared for motorway speeds, I wonder if they'll change the gearing on the S1000XR as it's really not relaxed at all. If they do change it, they'll need to give it just a taller 6th gear rather than changing the rear sprocket and ruining the acceleration.

KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Ludicrous! Riding it is like being on meth - it's intensely addictive. Much more torque than the S1000R. Totally ballistic engine - amazing. Light controls, lovely gear change. Electronic bits were all very interesting, and seemed to work fine, with intuitive dash and controls. Handling was good, but not as good as I'd have thought. It ran wide a few times - maybe just something that you can get used to and sling it in harder. But what a bike - amazing! Gob-smackingly good, very very fast, loads of torque, and quite hilarious. Big, purposeful, epic.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 DVT non-S

I rode the base model without the Skyhook fancy suspension. It was brand new - just registered at 5pm the previous day. It had keyless ignition, centre stand, cruise, heated grips. It is much more compact than the KTM Super Adv. More like the KTM 950SM actually. Feels very nice to sit in/on, everything in the right places. Some items on the dash are so small as to be nearly invisible unless you look really close at them.

And riding it - if the KTM was like being a meth addict, the Ducati is full-on crack cocaine. Unbelievable. Torque everywhere, especially crazy mental midrange, with ballistic pace. Being somewhat mechanically sympathetic, I didn't rev the nuts off it as it was brand new, so top end is an unknown at the moment. I didn't notice any lumpiness at low revs, though I've never ridden another Ducati apart from this one so I don't have anything to compare it to.

And it handled so much like the KTM 950SM - just think it and it goes there - much much more agile than the Super Adv. Amazing - so nimble. Coming out of twisty corners it just erupts in an orgasmic wave of joy. Bonkers! And when not riding like an idiot, it was refined and smooth. Very very nice. Better than nice - bloody gobsmackingly brilliant. It's like a KTM 950SM with double the power, same sort of handling, and a comfy riding position. Yes!

And the result?

So, order placed there and then for the Ducati. It is a May build, so arrives late May to mid June. I ordered the base model with heated grips & centre stand. Super Tenere now on eBay.

#1 tobers, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Interesting stuff - thanks for this. I rode the S1000R on a frosty morning a few months ago - in anticipation of the XR, and actually loved it, so much so that it's my back up if I don't like the multi, (unlikely) or can't get one soon enough for the Summer and then a Sept trip to Italy. Also looks like a long wait for the XR.

A mate last year chose the KTM 1190 over the Multi because he liked the low down torque, but it sounds like the DVT might have addressed that. I'm also not that keen on the 19" front wheel of the KTM (could explain your cornering issue) and have also heard that they give off loads of heat - not good for a european Summer trip.

Test ride of an 'S' now booked for next weekend, can't wait!

3. By the words of your reviews it appears you had one premature ejaculation, one standard but very nice ejaculation and one very special multiple orgasm! All very nice but different levels of the same nice :Hungry:

Good choice made in the end.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Great to get some feedback on the DVT mts, especially comparison based for some context! It whets the appetite further if that is possible!
    I am somewhat perplexed that the dealer was able to give you a definitive time base for order to delivery, as I placed my order with Ducati Glasgow back at the end of March, and they couldn't give me any idea at that time, just a " wait and see," and they would know more after the demo bike arrived. ( which it now has, no more word!) I struggle with this as I can't get my head around how a sophisticated production process can't supply any sort of delivery dates, ( upto 10 days before delivery)you might be lucky and your dealership is in the know with somebody at the factory, in Bologna! lol
    All in all, it appears to be a common problem with members who are waiting for any sort of news on a delivery date for the new mts.
    If you are able to shed any more light in this issue, it would be appreciated, and I hope your delivery date works out.:(

5. ;)

#5 Hyperextended, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  6. Yes my dealer also said no quotes what-so-ever on delivery dates. He said Ducati had told him strictly not to give any indication or promises about delivery dates. I must say it is a bit of a puzzle that people ordering at the moment are getting quite specific delivery months/dates.

7. P&H had already ordered my bike amongst a set of others. They had previously ordered a number of S models and 2 standard models both of which are now sold (one mine). All the S models were sold a while back. All they said was that mine was a "May build" so it might be built at the start of May or the end of May, so delivery a bit after that.

I did have an order in for a BMW S1000XR and the BMW dealer lets you see the progress etc on their system, but prior experience with them is that they don't know for sure until the bike is on their premises.

Yes, all orgasmic, but as you say the special multiple orgasm was rather special. You wouldn't be disappointed with any of them that's for sure.

8. Sounds like nothing has changed - mine was, I think, the second UK order for the original 1200 Multi, placed a year before it was even announced. I ended up getting mine a bout two months after deliveries started. Apparently the container carrying mine got mislaid en route - and neither I nor the excellen dealer (Snell's) could find out a damn thing about what was going on. This time I'm hanging fire until I've ridden it and know if it's actually a worthwhile improvement over my heavily personalised bike. I'd also hope that the finish has improved significantly over the 2010 machine.

9. Really good write up, thanks

10. Ducati learnt a hard lesson on the 2010 model when people waited till May to get their bikes. Since then it was always available in March as they projected.

The problem this time round I suspect is that the it is introduced a year ahead of schedule. Ducati has been working on a schedule of 3 year facelift, 6yr revamp. But the new BMW and KTM forced their hand. Guess they didn't want their thunder stolen.

But perhaps it was a feint from BMW after all. Looks like they couldn't get their act together. I saw a static display at the NEC. Nothing special. No display at the London MC show.

The KTM is the closest competitor I suspect. The riding position is like a sports bike. A bit perched. Matter of taste I suppose I not something I thought would be comfortable for long touring trips. The chassis was awesome. But the steering damper etc makes the ride feel a bit remote. Again, its a matter of taste.

What surprised me about the Super Adventure was the engine. It wasn't quite as frantic and raw. And worse, despite the electronics, it struggled to hold steady at low revs.

Again, it may be just the demo bike. Maybe a fuel map update could fix that. Not having ridden the DVT, with the experience of the 2010, one couldn't be sure the new Multi will be plain sailing either (althought from you all it sounds like it is!)

What really made me glad I am still on the Multi (even my limping 2013) was the whole riding experience. Being able to switch modes with present engine, suspension and riding aids settings really transforms the bike and improves versatility. The Super Adventure's adjustments are far more clunky and not really for changing on the move.

KTM missed a trick here.

11. [

And riding it - if the KTM was like being a meth addict, the Ducati is full-on crack cocaine. Unbelievable. Torque everywhere, especially crazy mental midrange, with ballistic pace.
    View attachment 47984 [/QUOTE]

How would you say the bottom end torque was compared to the 1290, would you say the mid range was comparable ??

12. As I understand it, Dealers have to order what they think they need at the start of the season. After they have sold their initial orders they go on the list for any additional orders.

13. The ordering process is a funny thing. When I was asking about the bike initially and when it would be available the guy told me exact dates when bikes would be delivered. He told me how many on each date and even what model spec and colour they were going to be. I was informed how many of those were sold to customers already and what that left available. A couple of weeks later at actual order he wouldnt give me any indication at all and said Ducati were not guaranteeing any delivery dates. And yes I agree with other posters it's the wait and lack of information that is the bug bear.

14. Bottom end was very similar. Ducati midrange was stronger. I didn't really try out top end revs. Basically both bikes are hilarious machines that will make you laugh endlessly.

Both engines were very very good. The difference is more to do with the feel of each bike. The Ducati feels like a much more compact, tight and agile. The KTM feels larger, longer and not quite as agile. As my focus is on comfortable hooning, with one long tour per year, the Ducati wins out. If I wanted a focus on more offroad, ultra distances etc the KTM would be the one, but I dont need a 300 mile tank range as I normally stop every 100 anyway.

If the Ducati didn't exist I'd probably have the KTM. But...the KTM is v.pricey compared to the base model Multi that I am getting and I couldnt afford it anyway!

15. I would be interested in knowing if Ducati have been able to fix the ergonomic issues such as deafening wind noise . Do they have luggage that how works ? Have they made the bike so if you come off at a slow pace you don't loose most of the controls ? A great road bike the Multi always was, a Multi purpose bike it runs well down the road behind many others.

16. You'll have to speak up! 450 miles on a base model DVT and it's bloody noisy and I've got to find a solution to the wind / helmet noise. So no, it hasn't been fixed.

The panniers seem OK but don't feel as solid as my BMW K13S sports panniers. There are no liners and I wouldn't trust them to be waterproof but I haven't tested them. However, I'll use liners each trip to be safe.

Heated grip switch is out of reach. I tried hard to reach it and keep the throttle open - no luck. It's a small niggle but should have been sorted. Other controls are fine and easy to use on the move once you sort out what's what. For example, you might have thought that the "+" and "-" buttons on the left hand control would take you up and down the same menu. The + does one menu e.g. clock, trips, fuel range etc. and the "-" goes to the fuel consumption / averages menu.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I see there are still some issues. I disliked the brake and clutch fluid being tied to the bark busters which would break off on a non moving fall over and render the bike motionless ! Like you I am keen to try the 1290 as this seems to be the in between of BMW GS and Multi .

18. remember guys the easiest and cheapest part of owning a ducati is the time when you buy it. it all gets complicated from then on!!

19. Cheers for the review, makes me want to try one out myself. I must admit I've never equated the Multi with fun (apart from Bradders tearing around Silverstone last year buzzing the race bikes that is), it always seems a bit old man and serious. Fun is something that KTM very much embodies for me. I've been looking at Supermotos lately and drifted onto looking at adventure bikes but I dont think I'd go for one of the big bikes as I'd like to go offroad. KTMs are built for getting a bashing with cheap to replace plastics whereas you'd be sick if you scratched a Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
  20. No, no, no! - they didn't say May build, they said may build.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information